GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,581
4 members and 1,577 guests
No Members online

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM

^^If this is the case, then most likely your issue won't get lost in the shuffle as it might at a school where 1500 girls go through rush. Like others said, you've done all you can, and you should be able to get it resolved, so just relax.

Also, take the "not terribly competitive" and "92%" figures with a grain of salt. It stops being "ntc" when 20 girls want to get into the sorority you want and the sorority is at total and quota is only 10. Keep an open mind to all the groups.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your advice, and I will take it to heart. I will be honest and say that I really don't know a lot about how recruitment works, I am just repeating what others have told me about my school. I am from an area where sororities are not common and I don't have any family members who have been in one, so I am quite a "newbie". I am going into rush (hopefully) with a VERY open mind and I will try my best to be myself and let my personality shine. I have not picked a certain "house" or place where I feel I need to be, although some of the charities interest me more than others, but that would be my only preference criteria at this point.

I still have not heard back from my professor, dept. chair, or head of recruitment. I know that it's break and I will try and be patient. Thanks again for your kind words of support and encouragement.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Informing your Pi Chi was a wise move and it sounds like she has acted on your behalf by contacting those in charge of recruitment.

As for this preventing you from taking part in recruitment, hopefully the decision in how to handle this won't be that drastic, even if it takes several weeks for the grade change to make its way through the school's system and become "official" on your transcript. Maybe Greek Life will accept confirmation from the professor that he made the grade change...you say he's very nice and will remedy this, so maybe he will shoot the director an email stating that your grade in his class was changed from a ___ to a ___. I am not saying this is the for sure solution to your dilemma, but it's a possibility and worth asking about.

I agree that it would be unfair to keep you out of recruitment due to an error on the part of someone else. I would be very shocked if those in your Greek Life office feel differently and blow you off with a "tough luck, kid." So -- try to relax and enjoy the holidays. Accept that you probably won't hear from anyone until at least after Christmas and possibly not until after the new year. You have done all you can do at this point, so give it a rest for the time being.

Do make sure you have documentation of your visit to the infirmary. I am not sure if the Greek Life office just sees your GPA or if they see what you earned in every class...but make sure to print out your actual grades to show Greek Life in the event they only see your GPA. That way, if they accept confirmation from the professor that he has made the grade change, you can show them what you earned in all your other classes as well. This will show them that your GPA flies even if its change is not yet showing up in the system. Best wishes to you!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank your for your words of advice and encouragement. I feel I have demonstrated myself to be responsible and proactive in remedying this situation. As soon as I became aware of the Grade Error, I called my professor, backed it up with email. Contacted my pi chi, who contacted head of recruitment. I have since emailed my professor 2 more times (I will stop now until after the holiday) and have forwarded my emails to the dept. chair. I don't know of anything else I could do. What is concerning is the amount of time that has already taken place (I know the holidays isn't helping). It has become obvious to me that it will be a fix that takes time. If it has been over a week and still no email has been returned, I think it is not going to be fixed in the 4 days that I will have to get it done before rush starts. I feel that as long as I have my illness documentation (which I do) and I will copy all my emails and correspondence, etc. that I don't see why they wouldn't let me participate as long as the ball is rolling in the right direction. I am now going to try and relax and enjoy my holiday Thank you all for your support. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you've been very proactive in trying to get this cleared up. I am willing to bet that the slow email response has everything to do with the holidays. As for how long it takes the school to process and post your grade change, it may not take as long as you think. An incorrect grade can impact a student being able to start a subsequent class the following semester, qualify to continue scholarship assistance, or in the case of a senior, even graduate. I like to think that colleges and universities rectify these situations quickly, but could be wrong. Those on here involved in academia, or who have had your same experience, know more about how the internal workings could possibly flow in this case, based on their schools.

Remember, too, Greek Life offices are not about keeping students OUT of recruitment. They want interested, qualified students to have every opportunity for successful outcomes, along with Greek systems that grow and thrive. This is why it's hard for me to imagine them being difficult over an error that is not your fault. I'll be real surprised if they don't work with you on this, i.e. accepting confirmation from the professor and other things I mentioned in the other post.

These things always seem to happen during holidays, summers, breaks and other times when people are hard to reach! I understand the frustration, as I am someone who likes things "settled" right here, right now and with nothing hanging in limbo. Things will be back to "business as usual" soon enough, though, and you can get to work on wrapping this up. In the meantime, rest easy over this and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy holiday time to help guide me with you words of advice. It really is helpful and I wanted to take the time to say a big "Thank You" to all of you that have helped. It means more than you know. It reassures for me my commitment to Rush because I want to part of this amazing group of women.

I am hoping for a quick resolution but from what I've been told, grade changes have a formal process to go through, even for errors, and it takes time so I am not confident that it will be done in time for recruitment, but I feel good with how I've handled it and I really really hope that if they know the process is underway, they will let me continue in recruitment. Also, this professor, although really nice and understanding, is absolutely notorious for being found out of the classroom and reading emails. There are no office hours, etc and only teaches 2 classes so is not on campus very often. So that will work against me. I specified in my phone emails to call me ASAP and schedule an appt so hopefully after the holiday, that will be done.

Again, thanks again for your words of wisdom. One more question, My Pi Chi is aware of the situation, etc. but when I go through recruitment..should I mention it during the "parties" etc.? Any advice is appreciated..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummm I would not bring it up in conversation.
One zero on one exam is not enough to put you grades as low as the minimum to go through recruitment unless you werent taking a full courseload or got Cs in other classes too? You might also still be recovering from mono? That can take a toll on your ability to participate in classwork too.
You might want to consider taking a semester to work on your grades?

Last edited by HQWest; 12-22-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Ummm I would not bring it up in conversation.
One zero on one exam is not enough to put you grades as low as the minimum to go through recruitment unless you werent taking a full courseload or got Cs in other classes too? You might also still be recovering from mono? That can take a toll on your ability to participate in classwork too.
You might want to consider taking a semester to work on your grades?
I'm going to throw out some numbers here. The OP mentioned strong HS grades/SATs, so it's possible that she tested out of some things.

So let's say you're a freshman taking 13 credits- three 3 credit classes and a 4 credit science with a lab, or calculus, or an intensive language class, or whatever. You tested out of things like freshman comp and your non-lab science so you had some room to take a lighter first semester, took an AP science class but didn't test well enough to get out of it but you still felt confident enough to take the college version right off the bat, things like that. You've got two As and a B in your three credit classes, but that lab is really kicking your butt.

With those first nine credits, two As and a B is a 3.66. Let's say now you've got a midterm or a final that's 20-30% of your grade in that lab class. If you've got a shaky B or C in that lab and that big test grade is put in as a zero, you're getting a D and that 3.66 is suddenly a 2.8. If you work hard and pull out a B, you've got a 3.5 and everything is fine. All Bs and a D and you've got a 2.38, all Bs and a C is a 2.69, etc etc. I didn't do spring formal so I don't know what the hard minimum would be from experience, but from reading here it seems like it would be in the 2.5-2.75 range with a 3.0+ recommended?

This is all totally hypothetical and I have no idea what the OP's deal is of course, but it's potentially plausible. Mariemilly, it would be a good idea for you to have strong and positive answers to all of HQWest's questions regardless of the details of your situation.

Last edited by justgo_withit; 12-22-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

All fair questions, which I don't mind answering. Also, I might add, my college is EXTREMELY rigorous with serious grade delfation. A D is 70, for example. I entered college with 5 Aps, 3.9 honors gpa, and high sat and ACt scores. I have no worries about my potential to be successful in college and graduate school. I am taking a very challenging pre med program with high level chem and bio both with labs. I have taken 4 classes this paste semesters earning the full 16 credits. The class in question has a strange grading system. only 4 grades for the whole semester 3 exams and 10% for one paper. I was not allowed to take one of those tests, so a 0 completely tanked my grade for that class. and in turn, killed my gpa. I got sick with MONO in early NOvember, right at mid terms. I didn't know I had mono at the time, but I was sicker than a dog. I went to class none the less. Did it effect my classwork, of course it did. I am after all only human. About a week after getting sicker and sicker, I fainted one day getting out of the shower. I ended up in the infirmary that morning and was given orders from the DR. to go back to my room and stay there for atleast 48 hours, no classes at all. I was devasted but too sick to worry at the time. After thanksgiving I was diagnosed with mono and am actually just now feeling better. I am still on medicine and have to go have my spleen checked before I head back to school. My Dr. scared my mom because i was much sicker than I thought. I am not asking for preferential treatment. I just don't want my ERROR on my gpa to keep me out of rushing. I would be devastated as my best friends are rushing etc. and I am passionate about joining a sorority. Do I think this past semester is an indicator on how well I will do in college: Absolutely not! I can't believe that I busted my butt all through high school and just because I got sick, it's all for nothing. Also, I was told to expect an adjustment period and that not to expect the same grades that I got in high school, so I was happy that I actually got the grades i did, considering how sick I was for over a month. I just want the error to be dealt with which will give me over the minimum to participate in recruitment. It might just happen that I get cut because of my grades anyway, there is nothing I can do about that I guess. I am very heart sick over this past semester, not because I am lazy or stupid, etc. I know I'm smart and have a lot to offer, I just got sick at the wrong time and the wrong place. The original question was: Will this error on my GPA keep me out of recruitment..if the answer to that question is "YES", then I will be devastated and I truly feel that it is unfair and not very welcoming or "sisterly" at all. I have felt so much support and love from all of the sorority functions that I have attended that I am now shocked that these are the same people that rip the rug out from under me. I just can't make sense of it all and am looking for guidance since my school is closed and I can't get anything done to remedy this. Thanks for your time.
'
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemilly View Post
All fair questions, which I don't mind answering. Also, I might add, my college is EXTREMELY rigorous with serious grade delfation. A D is 70, for example. I entered college with 5 Aps, 3.9 honors gpa, and high sat and ACt scores. I have no worries about my potential to be successful in college and graduate school. I am taking a very challenging pre med program with high level chem and bio both with labs. I have taken 4 classes this paste semesters earning the full 16 credits. The class in question has a strange grading system. only 4 grades for the whole semester 3 exams and 10% for one paper. I was not allowed to take one of those tests, so a 0 completely tanked my grade for that class. and in turn, killed my gpa. I got sick with MONO in early NOvember, right at mid terms. I didn't know I had mono at the time, but I was sicker than a dog. I went to class none the less. Did it effect my classwork, of course it did. I am after all only human. About a week after getting sicker and sicker, I fainted one day getting out of the shower. I ended up in the infirmary that morning and was given orders from the DR. to go back to my room and stay there for atleast 48 hours, no classes at all. I was devasted but too sick to worry at the time. After thanksgiving I was diagnosed with mono and am actually just now feeling better. I am still on medicine and have to go have my spleen checked before I head back to school. My Dr. scared my mom because i was much sicker than I thought. I am not asking for preferential treatment. I just don't want my ERROR on my gpa to keep me out of rushing. I would be devastated as my best friends are rushing etc. and I am passionate about joining a sorority. Do I think this past semester is an indicator on how well I will do in college: Absolutely not! I can't believe that I busted my butt all through high school and just because I got sick, it's all for nothing. Also, I was told to expect an adjustment period and that not to expect the same grades that I got in high school, so I was happy that I actually got the grades i did, considering how sick I was for over a month. I just want the error to be dealt with which will give me over the minimum to participate in recruitment. It might just happen that I get cut because of my grades anyway, there is nothing I can do about that I guess. I am very heart sick over this past semester, not because I am lazy or stupid, etc. I know I'm smart and have a lot to offer, I just got sick at the wrong time and the wrong place. The original question was: Will this error on my GPA keep me out of recruitment..if the answer to that question is "YES", then I will be devastated and I truly feel that it is unfair and not very welcoming or "sisterly" at all. I have felt so much support and love from all of the sorority functions that I have attended that I am now shocked that these are the same people that rip the rug out from under me. I just can't make sense of it all and am looking for guidance since my school is closed and I can't get anything done to remedy this. Thanks for your time.
'
Q.F.P.

Step away from the keyboard.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Grade deflation? Haha I think it sounds more like being in college. High school was waaaayyyyy easier. Now you are starting to sound like someone who blames everything on everyone else.

My school doesn't have a minimum to rush but has a suggested GPA since most won't end up successful without it. That GPA is lower than a lot of the house minimums so even if a PNM has that suggested GPA she can still get dropped by a lot of houses for grades. This can still happen to you to even if they correct your grade and you make the school minimum, so just be aware of that too.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Q.F.P.

Step away from the keyboard.
Jinx, buy me a coke (or coffee to go with the cinnamon sweet rolls I'm baking for Christmas? Delicious. The Pioneer Woman is my North Star of late).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Disregarding most of that, this
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemilly View Post
The class in question has a strange grading system. only 4 grades for the whole semester 3 exams and 10% for one paper.
has been a pretty normal grading system in my experience. Sure, professors will assign other things and suggest study/practice material, but the actual grading has been just a few big exams/papers.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

advice well taken..I probably should not be responding to posts using my phone while riding in the back of a car at 1:00 am, lesson learned.

As for the grade deflation, I had never even heard that term before, but a professor at my school mentioned it to me. Apparently my school is quite well known for it.

Actually, I have found my college classes to be on par with my AP classes. Challenging, but very manageable.

I think this post took a side turn, because I am not blaming my grades on anybody but myself. My last post probably sounded a little whiny..I apologize. The original question was due to an error that was not my fault. Complicated by my illness, of course.

I am not looking for special treatment, or to "bend" the rules at all. I just want my transcript to be truthful.

Happy Holidays Everyone and thanks again for your words of wisdom..
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Mariemilly -- let us know how it all works out. I hope it gets resolved, and think it will since it is a legit error. Wishing you a great recruitment!