GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,396
0 members and 1,396 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2001, 11:23 PM

Question Rush as a "Second Semester Sophmore"

At my college, where people often didn't graduate in four years, women who came through rush would occasionally put "second semester sophmore" on their rush applications even though they were beginning their third year of school. Sometimes they would end up graduating in four years, sometimes they wouldn't. Does this happen at other schools? What do you think about this practice? Should a rushee's status be determined by how long she has been at school or by the number of credits she's amassed?

------------------
~@~Tracy~@~
Proud to be Delta-Z :-)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2001, 11:34 PM

Honestly I think it should be on how much time she thinks she has left.

Which will be a better leader? A first semester sopohmore on the 5yr plan, or a new freshman on the 3 yr plan? In this case I'd rather have the sopohomore. They have the same amount of time left, but the sopohomore can bring more to the chaper (imho). If you don't know that the soph has just as much time, you could end up foolishly droping her.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:38 AM
Unregistered-

Totally agree with SoCal.

When I was initiated into AGD I was in my 3rd year at UH. In the Spring of 2000 I had just made Junior status and was the "eldest" according to class standing in my new member class. I'll be graduating in May 2002 on the 5 year plan (which isn't so bad because in state tuition is reasonably cheap).

My school is notorious for 5 year plans, but I have to agree with SoCal, it should depend on how much time she has left in school.

------------------
"Stress is toxic. It's a poison that makes me wanna throw up."--Me, on the aftermath of the UHPA Professors' strike

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 05-01-2001, 08:12 AM

Talking

We definitely looked at credits not actual age or years, because we had 5 year (and more) plans all over the place. We pledged a woman who by age would have been a second semester junior, but she ended up staying 2 more full years.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
When I transfered from the Lincoln campus to UN-Omaha, I knew that there was no way I'd be getting out in 3 years because of the way class registration was handled in those days (no computers, you had to wait in line with punch cards). I pledged as a sophomore during Formal Recruitment and was a member for the entire 4 years I was on campus.

Barbara

Old 05-01-2001, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

At my school and through my chapter we look at how many credits the person has and how long they think they might have left. I hate to say it, but who wants a new sister thats only going to be around their first year? I guess it all depends on the situation??
Old 05-01-2001, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

As MANY of us know, college is not really 4 years anymore.
I was a semi mature individual when I started the local. I finally Graduated 7 yrs after start and 2 years with my Chapter.
If the Greek Organizations look at the age then we are wron as many maturer people can put a settling afect on things. I was older than all of the actives when I pledge a local which became a Niational Fraternity. I got Black Balled. This was 2 weeks before schools was out and I lived in the house!
Well i started my on local and when we colonized, I came back for the Chartering and was keynote speaker. I have never looked backed and am still very active as some OF MY BROTHERS on this site can attest to.
If thsy do not want you for that reason, then you shuold not want them. If they lose a good BRO/SIS then they are the ones to lose not you!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)