GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,304
0 members and 1,304 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2001, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Why did you go...

Just wondering... what cinched it for you to join the group you did? When did you decide and what made it your final decision? I am sure that for some this was after recruitment. I'll tell you my story.
I rushed as a sophomore and wasn't sure if I even wanted to in a sorority. The girl I talked to at preference knew a friend of mine that had been killed in a car accident the year before. It was the first friend I had lost. At preference the ceremony meant nothing to me, but we didn't talk about sorority stuff, we talked about my friend. I knew he had a lot of good friends that were AGD's and I knew that they were the most "real" girls that I met. The girl I talked to cried with as we talked and I knew that if I were to ever have a reason to cry that these girls would definitly cry with me, and laugh with me too. That is when I decided I, too, wanted to be an Alpha Gam. I have never looked back!

------------------
If your going to go greek, why not be a goddess?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2001, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

That's the sweetest thing I've ever heard.
Old 02-22-2001, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I chose my GLO because they are an awesome group of women who do more than just drink beer and meet boys. I know that sounds rough, but some sororities on our campus had that one mission. My group did so many other things, like Habitat for Humanity, and fundraising for our philanthropies and had tons of sisterhood stuff. It just felt like a place where I could really fit in and make a difference. And it is Even now as an alum, I get to help other chapters make a difference on their campuses.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Unregistered-

In my sophomore year of college I met a girl who was already in AGD. Despite several attempts to get me to go to some of the AGD events, I decided to pledge a local sorority.

Boy, that was the worst decision I made. I was subjected to forms of hazing, and one night, after a pledge meeting, I broke down and cried at our campus commons.

Lo and behold, the AGD chapter meeting had just adjourned, and 6 AGD sisters immediately came to my aid and wanted to know if there was anything they could do to help. I was at my lowest of lows, I felt like crap because these local sorority girls disrespected me. But the AGDs took me under their wing and made sure that I made it back to my dorm okay.

After that night, I called my friend and I told her what had happened. I was ashamed that I turned down AGD for this local sorority and I apologized to her (she was Recruitment chair at that time). I didn't want anything to do with the Greek system anymore, but eventually I got to know those AGD angels better, and I decided to give it another try at their next formal recruitment.

I share that experience about my AGD angels at every Preference and Presents ceremony because I want the new girls to realize how special it is to me to have my sisters in my life.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 02-23-2001, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I chose ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA for so many reasons

The great tradition of service to "all mankind"

The great women of AKA..
Eleanor Roosevelt (1st Lady of US)
Maya Angelou (poet)
Rosa Parks (mother of civil rights movement)
Coretta Scott King (wife of MLK Jr.)
Mae Jemison (1st African American woman in space)
My mom

Most of all I felt most at ease and at home with the programs (both nationally and on the local level

------------------
IVY in my HAND-- AKA in my HEART
Old 02-26-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I chose my professional because I was going to do it for the rest of my life

I chose my social because their philanthropy is to aid the hearing impaired. Because I was a music major I wanted to help bring music to people who otherwise can't participate in it's soothing, educational, challanging, and beautiful properties.
Old 02-27-2001, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

When I started the local, I had beenballed from another Fraternity. I wrote letters to many of the Large and Old line Fraternitys. I was turned down by all of them even though they did not know I was the only member. I had a TKE advisor tell me to contact LXA. I said who and looked them up. They were relatively new in the Fraternal world. I contacted them and they sent a TS to talk to us. In the mean time, another Fraternity had a TS come and give a presentation to us.
We had a 14 hour meeting to decide who we would affiliate with. Thank God I won the fight. We were colonized at the end of the next semester by LXA. I have never looked back and said damn why was I not in another Fraternity. I have been a LXA for 35 years and will be a LXA until the day I die.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 04-01-2001, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I had signed up for rush first semester freshman year, but it started on the first day of classes and wasn't up to it. I was going to transfer schools, but when I knew for sure I would stay, I went through rush as a sophomore. I had a good friend in DZ, but I told myself I wouldn't make a final decision until I went through rush. The girls were diverse, some much different than me but a lot were simliar. I thought I'd find a home in DZ, and I did...
Old 04-02-2001, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hi! I posted this response in another chat a while back:

The main reason that I joined Delta Zeta was because the sisters seemed to be so genuine during Rush. I was a little shy and didn't know hardly anything about sororities when I went to college. It was actually my mother's suggestion that I go through Rush so that I could meet people.

At the Rush parties, the DZ girls made me feel extremely comfortable. It wasn't that I didn't like the other sororities - I did. I was actually a little torn between DZ and one other house right up until Pref Night. But after the preference party, I knew that I was going to be a DZ or nothing.

It's hard to describe how I knew that DZ was the right choice for me. I think that what impressed me the most was that the sisters were all individuals - they each had their own interests. Some were athletic and outgoing, some were shy and reserved, some were brainy, some were social butterflies. I knew that I wouldn't have to "conform" in order to feel welcome in Delta Zeta. That's what did it for me! And I've never regretted my decision!

Carrie

Old 04-02-2001, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Carrie,

you posted under my thread!! Thank you!! Your story is really sweet
Old 04-02-2001, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

BTW, I just visited; your website! Very cute!
Old 04-02-2001, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for the compliments, Newbie!! I'm glad you liked the webpage - it's my first (and only) attempt at building a site. Feel free to e-mail me if you ever have any questions about DZ!
Old 04-02-2001, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks DZRose!! I will if you don't mind! Look for one in a few days (prolly after Friday)! BTW, I like those turtles They are cute. Thanks again!!

Edited to ask: I couldn't see your email address! If you want, you can email your email addie to my addie, LOL!

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited April 02, 2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hi newbie!

I just e-mailed it to you!
Old 04-02-2001, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Carrie, I got it! I was wondering, what was the image you sent me? It didn't show up on my screen--just a tan background Have a good rest of Monday!!