GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,223
0 members and 1,223 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2005, 05:59 AM
GreekChat Member

U of British Columbia sororities questions

Anyone here from a sorority at the University of British Columbia? I am seeking some specific answers from this school and figured this would be the best place to start. (I am unaware of the existance of a Greek Life place at UBC to get these answers from)

I did sorority recruitment in my 1st year but wasn't sure if it was for me, mostly based on the fact that my parents were against it as were most of my friends from high school. I'm now going into 3rd year and adore the experiences I have had the past two years but now wonder if my university experience would be even better in a sorority.

So, questions: do many older students rush? (I am going to be in 3rd year, but will be doing 5 years...this is one of my biggest concerns)
Is 2005 recruitment going to be similar to 2003? (Going from room to room, but now in the Panhellenic house and not classrooms, and with rho chis and everything? and the $10 fee?)
Is there a GPA requirement? (I've been to the panhellenic website but haven't been able to find reference to one)
And my biggest concern...time. I posted a thread recently about this. I am totally willing to put in all kinds of time and effort, but having been here for a couple years I've become involved in a club and would be spending time with that. I think my 1st term would be busier, so do many of the sororities do informal recruitment in 2nd term?
What are the major differences between fall and spring recruitments? And is "COB" done all year? (or just at certain times)

Ack...this is insanely long and I don't even know if there is anyone here who could answer all of this (*fingers crossed*) but thanks to everyone who even reads this! **Also, if this isn't the appropriate place to put this please let me know.

Last edited by artiste; 06-26-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Recruitment will be vastly different this year. For starters, they're not using the terms "tours", "invitationals" and "preference". This year there will be a greater focus on getting involved at UBC and how Greek Life is a big part of getting involved (the week is even being called "Get Involved UBC").

You will still be going from room to room, but you probably won't find it as hectic or harrowing as in years past. You'll probably find it a lot more relaxed, to be honest - which can only be a good thing.

As far as older students going through the recruitment -- er, "getting involved" -- process, UBC is not like traditional systems in that we seriously encourage women of all classes to go through. If you keep an open mind, you will most definitely find a home in a sorority there.

I have lots more to say but I have to run, but I'll be back with more info later.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! I was afraid I wouldn't get any responses at all...but yay!

My experience with recruitment was overall positive (well, a couple awkward moments but I'm sure everyone has them) and I've had a really amazing couple years so far, so I think this might be the time. I will certainly think about it this summer.

I know quite a few girls from various sororities (not best buddies, but enough to say hi) and have gotten something of a feel for them (albeit from an outsider perspective). My only real concern now is the time (thanks to everyone for dissuading my fear of being too old...some of the recruitment stuff from US schools sounds scary).

The time concern I specifically have is something unique to UBC...I'm in Phrateres and have been since my 1st year. And we do lots of "similar" things. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I would have to choose between the two because I have quite involved in the club and have many great friends.

I realize that 99% of people probably won't understand why I would want to possibly be in both that and a sorority...sometimes I question it myself. But I can see enough differences and would be very interested in recruitment and learning more through that process. That said, I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about why I would be doing recruitment (I'm not "defecting" from Phrateres, not doing it as a joke, and would certainly never try to steal people away!) I don't know how relations are between the club and sororities, so maybe I'm just a complete head-in-the-clouds optimist?

But maybe I've said too much...:s Anyway, thanks everyone! I was happy to see there were actually UBC greeks on this site

p.s. I went to the ubcsororities website oodles of times before even getting the nerve to post anything here. I think it, and the individual websites are all beautifully well done
Old 06-26-2005, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

On the time issue. Most sororities are going to have events that are required to attend so you aren't necessarily going to have a luxury of not going.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
On the time issue. Most sororities are going to have events that are required to attend so you aren't necessarily going to have a luxury of not going.
I understand. If I could forsee not being able to meet the time demands, I would not join out of fairness to the sorority. I wouldn't join and then "oh, is it ok if I miss this and this and this...you'll still let me in, right?" ack! no way

I am however prepared to rework my schedule to fit everything together. I am in love with the idea of lifetime membership and would want a solid collegate base from which to move forward from after graduation (The club that takes up oodles of my time is wonderful and all, but my committment pretty much ends when I graduate)
Old 06-27-2005, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that there was a young woman who was interested in the chapter I advise who was a member of Phrateres. Eventually she found that both organizations required a lot of her time, and she ultimately decided to stay with Phrateres.

Not to suggest that her experience will mirror yours, but it's something to consider. Being in a sorority is a HUGE time commitment - there are a number of events that you simply won't be excused for. I think the honest thing to do is when you're going through this year to talk to all of the women and to ask them how much time they spend on sorority life (meetings, philanthropy events, and the fun stuff, too) and give it some serious thought.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and I know I said that I would be back with more info on UBC Recruitment and the changes, but I just remembered I'm not supposed to say anything. Suffice it to say that there will be changes, and there will be more interaction between Panhellenic and the other campus organizations.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks Sistermadly! The idea of being super-involved in both Phrateres and a sorority at the same time is perhaps a little unrealistic. I know a couple girls did it, joining Theta when it came back to campus, but they ended up just sticking with Theta. There have been quite a number of girls who have left Phrateres and gone on to sororities but I don't think anyone has been able to do the two at once.

But, should I ultimately decide to do recruitment this year, I will be the question-asking queen (Unlike 2 years ago when the only question I could EVER come up with was "what's your philanthropy?") But I am not so worried about feeling like next year would be the last year I would have a chance of getting in...if it just doesn't work out for next year, there is always 4th year...

Again, thanks to everyone! This is something that has been on my mind for ages and I appreciate all the feedback
Old 06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Thumbs up

I graduated from UBC in 2002, and was also involved with Phrateres my first year on campus. Ultimately, I ended up going through fall recruitment and decided to dedicate my time solely to my sorority, though to this day I have many fond memories and a few great friends from my time in Phrateres

One thing to consider is that Phrateres is often involved in many of the same campus activities as the seven sororities, especially through intramural teams and events (compete in the same division for sports points), exchanges/socials/mixers, and even formals/semi-formals.

Note that there are a number of people from UBC here on GC - some of us are alumni while others are active, together representing a number of fantastic sororities and fraternities there. Collectively, UBC's greek community continues to grow stronger each year!!

The current or past president of the UBC Panhellenic is one of these GCers who posts every so often ~ I cannot remember her screen name but will post when I do.

Best wishes with whatever you choose to do, please keep us posted.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Darn it! I love GC, but every year it seems I forget my login name, my password, or realize that my original name completely gives away my affiliation, and being the Panhellenic President this year, I can't do that can I?!?!

So, I think almost all of the questions about UBC sororities were answered beautifully, especially regarding the new format of Get Involved UBC, or recruitment.

A couple clarifications:

Cost - This year will be slightly higher (blame inflation) - check the website in the following weeks for a new layout and more information

COR (formerly COB) - Continuous Open Recruitment is always a bit of a gamble because no one knows which, if any, chapters will have spaces available, and whether they'll try to fill those spaces or not. Keep checking the Panhellenic website and individual chapter websites for information later in September. But if you are at all interested, I would strongly suggest coming out to Get Involved UBC to see a little bit of what it's like. There's no committment to join at the end.

GPA - Individual sororities have their own regulations. Panhellenic requires you be a full-time UBC student (18 credits for the current year). A 60-65% minimum average from university would be safe, but don't take that has a rule, some chapters look for higher, some don't place as much importance on your average. It all depends.

Phrateres/Time Committment - I'm glad that you are under the impression that there is fairly good relations between our two groups. I've been in communication with the past and with the current Phrateres president, and we're trying to dispel any rumours, etc.

While the two groups are compatible in most respects, the issue does arrive with time commitment. Both Phrateres and sororities have Wednesday night meetings, sororities require attendance to around three retreats a year (depending on the particular sorority) which may conflict with Phrateres. And as was already said, many of the activities may overlap.

Anyways, just wanted to post to let you all know I'm lurking around if there's more questions. Best of luck artiste with your decision. Remember you are welcome to come out to Get Involved UBC even if you're not 100% sure you'll end up joining a sorority at the end of it, and if you do that certainly does not mean you have to give up your close ties with Phrateres.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a couple more questions (if nobody minds):
Generally, what time are sorority meetings on Wednesdays? Early/late, afternoon/evening? Length?
Is each member required to do a certain number of sports events or league play in a school year? (I understand this one probably varies with each group)
Are recommendations all that important? From what I have read, they seem to be almost required at more competitive schools, but I am guessing they are not at all like that at UBC?

From what I am estimating, I don't think I would join in September. My time commitment for the club is going to be huge in 1st term (and tapers slightly in 2nd term) and that won't be fair to myself or a sorority. Regardless, I may still want to come out to Get Involved UBC in order to ask questions to my hearts content
Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Chapter meetings are held Wednesday evenings, and start anywhere between 6:00 and 7:00pm. The length will vary depending on the amount of business to be discussed.

I can't answer for all groups, but there are certain events that are required, and others that are "it's nice if you can make it out, because you'll get more points." The nature of these mandatory events will vary from chapter to chapter.

Recommendations aren't that important at UBC, but it never hurts. However, if you're a legacy to one of the chapters, be sure to indicate that on your registration form.

I would urge you to go ahead and go through formal recruitment in September - and accept a bid when/if you're offered one. Like UBCPanhellenic said, you never know from year to year whether the chapters will have spaces to fill after Formal recruitment.

Good luck in whatever you decide - and be sure to keep us posted! I don't think I've ever seen a UBC Recruitment thread on GC and I think we're long overdue.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a legacy is when it was your mother/grandmother in a sorority, but what about if you had a cousin in one? Is that taken into consideration? (A cousin of mine who went to school in the states was in a sorority and, although I'd need to double-check, I'm sure she was in one that is at UBC)

That's good about meetings! Our meetings are at 4pm and don't usually run past 5, so there would be no worry about overlapping time.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artiste
I know a legacy is when it was your mother/grandmother in a sorority, but what about if you had a cousin in one? Is that taken into consideration?
And the answer is.... it depends.

The best way to find out is to ask during the week. Indicate it on your form - having any family connection at least shows you know a bit about the greek system - but I think that for most groups, the connection must be matrilineal (mom, grandmother, and in some cases, step-mother).

Last edited by Sistermadly; 07-03-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Even if you are not considered a legacy by cousin (I know in AGD you aren't) you can get a rec from your cousin and also during rush just let the sisters know- "Hey, I already know a little about your sorority because my cousin is an ABC at XYZ university in the states!". It can't hurt!

Facebook