GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,702
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, kaylapetrvoz880
» Online Users: 756
0 members and 756 guests
No Members online

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Pandora2011

Cool concurrent enrollment

I will graduate from a really small OK HS this May and will be attending OSU. Because my school doesn't offer many advanced or honors classes I did concurrent enrollment at a regional university. I'm really excited about going through formal recruitment, but I'm afraid my concurrent college credits ( I'll still be considered a freshman) will work against me. Do I have a reason to be concerned about this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora2011 View Post
I will graduate from a really small OK HS this May and will be attending OSU. Because my school doesn't offer many advanced or honors classes I did concurrent enrollment at a regional university. I'm really excited about going through formal recruitment, but I'm afraid my concurrent college credits ( I'll still be considered a freshman) will work against me. Do I have a reason to be concerned about this?
The only time it could work against you is if it bumps up your class standing to sophomore*. Since it isn't, you should be fine.

*Even then usually a clarification that it's class standing by credits and that you will be attending for 4 years covers you.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Pandora2011

Thanks! Hopefully, I won't have to take as many hours a semester either which will give me more time to devote to my sorority over the next 4 years!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

i don't know about all sororities, but zta has a requirement that members be enrolled as full time students-i.e., at least the minimum hours required to be considered a full time student by the university
Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ It sounds like she's concerned that the courses she took in HS will count against her when she gets to college (a la AP/IB course credit)

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
^^ It sounds like she's concerned that the courses she took in HS will count against her when she gets to college (a la AP/IB course credit)
Yes - she's afraid she will be considered a sophomore and that won't give her the same chance she would have had she been a "normal" freshman.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

At some competitive schools, she would indeed have the disadvantages that any sophomore has. It happened to one of our daughters. Since then, we have encouraged our children who do dual enrollment to stop shy of 30 hours, not because of the recruitment disadvantage but because of something worse--at a lot of schools, you're not eligible for first-year scholarships if you passed 30. You actually get discriminated against for excelling!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
At some competitive schools, she would indeed have the disadvantages that any sophomore has. It happened to one of our daughters. Since then, we have encouraged our children who do dual enrollment to stop shy of 30 hours, not because of the recruitment disadvantage but because of something worse--at a lot of schools, you're not eligible for first-year scholarships if you passed 30. You actually get discriminated against for excelling!
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Not dumb at all. Many students don't have the chance to do something like this (concurrent enrollment), depending on their location and/or their lack of means.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not dumb at all. Many students don't have the chance to do something like this (concurrent enrollment), depending on their location and/or their lack of means.
But the kids who do have access to these programs still deserve to be in the running for aid, should they need it.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Another crappy thing: in many districts if you choose dual enrollment, your diploma is downgraded from Advanced College Prep to College Prep. Yet in dual enrollment, you take and usually get credit for the college courses that Advanced College Prep students struggle through AP courses to get credit for.

For many years, other Spanish teachers/professors and I have advised high school students to either do dual enrollment (usually they test into at least the second semester of college Spanish if they've had 3 years in high school) or take a 4th year in high school and merely take the placement test when they start college. With 4 years, many students place into college Spanish at the junior level. Forget the stress of the AP course and test! What does that get you? If you score a 3, 4, or 5, you get into the second semester.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Advanced College Prep to College Prep
Sidenote: Is this designation a big deal? I was on the "Distinguished" track, but I never acknowledged that after graduating high school. Does it carry over into college in other places?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM

I've never heard of such a thing (ACP vs CP). And yeah, what does it really matter? You get into college before you get your diploma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
But the kids who do have access to these programs still deserve to be in the running for aid, should they need it.
That's my point. I don't think a lot of them need it as much. The kids who are really strapped were working at McDonald's 30 hours a week instead of taking college classes. That's been my experience, anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

In some school districts, it's a huge big deal only we realized early on that it was only on the student's transcript (not even the diploma) and that the colleges didn't seem to care much about that--only the GPA and the standardized test scores. So our oldest did the Advanced College Prep thing and the rest have done either College Prep or College Prep with dual enrollment.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's my point. I don't think a lot of them need it as much. The kids who are really strapped were working at McDonald's 30 hours a week instead of taking college classes. That's been my experience, anyway.
We're talking about full rides in some cases, not some $500 supplement! A lot of students know exactly which award they're aiming for at which school.