GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Tau
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 2,434
1 members and 2,433 guests
baleeymaarley61

Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to julz620
ideas for spring COB

Hi! I am new to the forum. My name is Julia Byerson and I'm from the Delta Delta Chapter at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I am the co-recruitment chair for my chapter and I was wondering if anybody had any recruitment ideas for an informal COB Spring Rush. Any ideas would be great! Thanx everyone and Tau Love and Mine.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2004, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Julz,
Welcome to the forum!!!! I've been out of school for awhile, so I think I'll leave it up to the current collegians to give you some good ideas for COB. However, I will suggest doing something that your members will enjoy and be relaxed with (i.e. don't do a progressive dinner if it will stress your members out...you want the overall attitude to be fun and relaxed). I have heard that a Death By Chocolate informal gathering has worked before....what do students like to do around your college (skating, bowling, etc)?

So, Taus....what ideas can we give Julz?

PsychTau
Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We are going to go Ice Skating for one of the events, since we are in the Downtown Chicago area and it would just be a lot of fun, and I think we might do a pizza party at a local restaurant. Thanx for your ideas PsychTau, but I'm not quite sure what a Death by Chocolate gathering is...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks and much Tau Love!
Julz
Old 01-05-2004, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTLuv21
Man, we are starting our Informal Recruit next week. Next week is the 2nd week of school. It's gonna be stressfull bc our CPH does NOT know what they are doing because this is the first time we are doing this. I'm sorta glad that we aren't the only GLO's to be dealing w/this stress. But, we have an informal pref and for that I think we are doing something dealing with pearls. Not sure. I don't even know whats going on with informal because last I heard, the president of CPH called our old president and told her their has been some changes. How lovely!

I'm pumped for COB tho! We having a B.Y.O.B "Bring Your Own Banana" Ice Cream Social. Shall be fun and I already know the BYOB part will catch students attention
Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

When we did formal recruitment in the fall, our pref nite also had something to do with pearls. We had pearl beads and we went around to each active and while they were stringing a bead onto a string, they said what AST meant to them, then we went around to all potential members and had them put a pearl on the string and say what they hope joining a sorority will be to them. Just an idea, but it worked very well and it was pretty emotional!

TLAM,
Julz
Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
The Zeta Chapter (my chapter) has done some of the following:

-having a game night (playing board games)
-having a kindergarten night (eating pb & j sandwiches, etc.)
-having a BBQ (Do this one when its warm enough!!)
-playing volleyball

I can't remember the rest of them right now, but I hope this helped.

TLAM,
Kate
Old 01-06-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about the Death by Chocolate thing.....most people I know have heard about it before and so I just talk without thinking sometimes!!!

Quite a few restaurants (Applebee's is one of them I think....) has a dessert called Death by Chocolate. It's something along the lines of chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing, chocolate shavings, and drizzled with chocolate sauce.....basically it's "to die for" it's so good (thereby called Death by Chocolate). And you really have to love chocolate cause it's rich. A DBC party is a dessert party that focuses on chocolate. Choc covered strawberries, choc cake, choc bars, white choc cheesecake, choc cheesecake....etc. etc. You get the idea. Done in the dorm as some sort of study break or something like that, it's usually pretty popular with girls cause women love chocolate. Then you can talk about why you love chocolate, how choc cheers you up, favorite choc dessert, etc. (I'm so tired of typing "c h o c o l a t e" I don't even know if I'm spelling it right anymore!).

Anyway, that's the basic idea....modify it however you wish....it works some palces, and some places it doesn't. You would just have to think about your campus and the females on it. (And if your chapter has a *ahem* weight prob/image prob of any type, it might not be the best theme to go with...know what I mean? ) Or use this idea to spark some other ideas. I like the BYOB party...that's neat. Everyone can make their own sundae and show some individuality.

PsychTau
Old 01-07-2004, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I like some of your ideas. I'm so confused as to how we are running our informal recruit. I heard a lil about quota, and they going by chapter size, meaning, my chapter could accept 35 girls That be crazy. But I sat and talked with some Phi Sigs at my school and they themselves are confused as just as we are. And it sucks bc only one sorority on our campus has a "house" (I put house in parenthes bc the school owns it and its just a lil cottage where a bunch of the sisters live in together). So, all our events are on campus for informal recruitment.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hiya!
Informal is can be so tiring, keep that in mind when you are planning events.
Things we've done in the past:
-pool party @ the campus pool cause it was free. Carefull not to advertise too much all over campus, you could have unwanted guests.
-video game night. This is fun cause guys don't usually share the controllers. bad part- not highly interactive if you aren't careful, but very fun!
-weenie roast. we were gonna use our fireplace, but theys chool didn't inspect it in time so we did it w/a George forman grill. it was a blast.
-bowling is fun
-must-see-tv or someother type of tv event.
-don't forget PHILANTHROPY!!!! it gives great PR and helps you kill two birds w/one stone. we did valentines cards and gave them to elderly people for an event.

Good luck!!! keep it fun for the chapter but not so much it gets too cliquey.
Tau love
Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Can someone tell me how to get colors in your siginiture tag?? LOL! I'm clueless how and I want a pretty AST siggy! LOL!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

all you have to do is write "blahblahblah" without the quotes.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, that didn't work.

i tried to write the coding, but it actually coded what i wanted to write.

when u go to yer user profile, on the left side it says vbcode ON just click on that link and it will show u the codes u need to use to change yer font.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Jenny,

Here's the actual code for my signature. Take a look and you can get ideas for your own...

Font=Symbol
size=8
color=Green
AST /font /size /color
Zeta Chapter
Lock Haven University

BTW: Don't forget to put [ ] before and after every word.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you guys! Now I can go fix that!

Oh, I walked to someone on National bc we had our Education Counslor stop in for a visit and I mentioned how I saw we have 4 new colonies and she said there is more than 4 now As to where, she didn't say. She could be wrong bc all she's been doing is colonization with these colonies. But she told me there is more than 4 which is awesome!
Old 01-12-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
-weenie roast. we were gonna use our fireplace, but theys chool didn't inspect it in time so we did it w/a George forman grill. it was a blast.
HAHAHA that is sooo funny!!! Sounds like something that would happen to my chapter. And it's those kinds of things you remember and laugh about forever.

We have 4 brand new colonies just now getting off the ground, but we also have Delta Chi Colony at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, TN. I think the group at New York University is still a colony as well (I can't think of their Greek letters though).

So yes, we do have more than 4 colonies!!!

(By the way, did you have Colleen visit?)

PsychTau