GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,570
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, asydneshtolzez6
» Online Users: 2,553
1 members and 2,552 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Greeting bruhs, this is Marquise, SPR 2k4 "Dia-Bolikal" Ace Klub.
On my campus, which will remain nameless, the homecoming step show has been opened up to "all greek letter organizations". In the past only the Pan-Greeks were privillaged to step in the show, because we created it. There are service frats and sororities on campus that want to step and also some coed social organizations that want to step also. The Divine 9 on our campus has decided not to step in the show at all. Some say they refuse to step with "service frats and GDI's" and others say "the show has lost it's value". Bruhs what do you think as Nupes. Should my chapter step or not? And would you object to stepping with "GDI's"?
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not your brother, so forgive me for the intrusion.

Is there prize money? If so, to hell with who ELSE participates, just plan to WIN so that you can fund your chapter's projects.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

That's ok. I respect everyones opinion. Because the D9 as a whole or most in part are "boycotting" the show. So any greek opinion on the matter is valuable.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Nupeology Send a message via Yahoo to Nupeology
I think that you all should step and dismiss the nonsense of the fact the only the divine 9 should step. I am apart of Kappa Kappa Psi National Band Fraterntiy as well as Kappa Alpha Psi and my chapter stepped in Non-greek and greek shows.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
Greeting bruhs, this is Marquise, SPR 2k4 "Dia-Bolikal" Ace Klub.
On my campus, which will remain nameless, the homecoming step show has been opened up to "all greek letter organizations". In the past only the Pan-Greeks were privillaged to step in the show, because we created it. There are service frats and sororities on campus that want to step and also some coed social organizations that want to step also. The Divine 9 on our campus has decided not to step in the show at all. Some say they refuse to step with "service frats and GDI's" and others say "the show has lost it's value". Bruhs what do you think as Nupes. Should my chapter step or not? And would you object to stepping with "GDI's"?
I'm not sure this is a wise decision to make by the D9. This screams racisim (in a way). Stepping is not just for D9, anyone and everyone can step. It's a competition, so stepping with non-D9 would make the competition more intense, meaning everyone must bring their A game.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes!!!

I'm glad some of you agree with me. I personally have no problem with stepping in the show. My only concern was the fact that the school was pimpin' the D9. They didn't advertise the other organizations and didn't make them work as hard as we did promoting the show. But my other question is what should be the role of Non-Pan greeks? The other D9's on my campus don't believe they should "imitate us". I will agree some of these organizations go too far in their mockery. For example one organization wears Krimson, Kreme, and Black as there colors, try to shimmy and claim to be the "pretty gents". Too far!!! Or the sorority on our campus who's call is Z-Phi! and who's mascot is the eagle (you should see the hand signs, scary!). I don’t blame some of the D9 including my frats for being mad, but I just don’t feel like missing out on $1,500 dollars is the right plan of action. Should there be differentiation between the D9 and service organizations?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't step, especially in Florida. I fully support the idea of the D9 refusing to step. I wuld even take it further and suggest that the NPHC holds a competing step show at the same time as the other show and see who comes to which show.

Call me snooty, elitish, or whatever. I'll be that, but I can't agree with fly by night orgs, which FL is famous for, stepping in the same competition as the D9.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

forgive the intrusion, but how do you feel about church groups stepping? I've heard of several that do, and I wonder do any of the D-9 feel one way or the other about that?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I'm not your brother, so forgive me for the intrusion.

Is there prize money? If so, to hell with who ELSE participates, just plan to WIN so that you can fund your chapter's projects.
I agree.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nupeology
I am apart of Kappa Kappa Psi National Band Fraterntiy as well as Kappa Alpha Psi and my chapter stepped in Non-greek and greek shows.
LOL
Old 12-18-2005, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
This screams racisim (in a way).
Old 12-18-2005, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
forgive the intrusion, but how do you feel about church groups stepping? I've heard of several that do, and I wonder do any of the D-9 feel one way or the other about that?
I am not opposed to this. Most of these groups have D9 members as step coaches and what better reason to step than to step for the Lord?

My only problem is when these people are taught to mock certain aspects of BGLOs. Church step groups should not be throwing up derivatives of the Delta handsign or doing a remix of our Founders step, for example.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
I wouldn't step, especially in Florida. I fully support the idea of the D9 refusing to step. I wuld even take it further and suggest that the NPHC holds a competing step show at the same time as the other show and see who comes to which show.

Call me snooty, elitish, or whatever. I'll be that, but I can't agree with fly by night orgs, which FL is famous for, stepping in the same competition as the D9.
Whassa matter, you 'fraid they might whoop yalls behinds and steal ya' thunda'? (jovially speaking, of course)

*LOL* Just humor yall, nothing more.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13

Yeah, but if a D9 is sponsoring a step show, then think about all those entrance fees the org is loosing by not having GDIs step. At the end of the day money is green....
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
The church groups I've seen in step shows do more praise dancing than stepping. And usually they are performing for exhibition, not competition. But, that is just what I've seen.