GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,682
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zahaeymaarley89
» Online Users: 856
0 members and 856 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

A Note from A Bottom-Tier Sister

I found this on That site, but I think it's something every PNM should read.

Quote:

"I am in a 'bottom tier' sorority. I like it a lot. In fact, I love it. Some of you will talk to me during recruitment. Of the people who do, some will be super sweet and talkative and genuinely interested in learning about my sorority, some of you will feign polite interest, and some of you will be downright rude to me. All because of some preconceived notion of me.
I'm not going to give you some lecture about how you should be open-minded or about how much I love my sorority. I don't care about changing anyone's mind. The kind of women I want in my sorority are the kind who don't have to be told to be open-minded. No, what I would like to remind each and every one of you is that you're the new kids. At best, you're freshmen who haven't even attended your first college class. At worst, you're glorified high school students. And you're being invited into thirteen homes. These are the places we eat, sleep, comfort each other, get ready to go out, conduct our sacred rituals, and watch trashy reality tv shows. Think about inviting us into your home. You'd want us to be respectful.
The bottom line is that if you're walking into a chapter house and you've written it off before you even come in, you need to check your ego and remember that Greek life is a privilege, not a right."
Old 08-15-2014, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Part of me likes this, and part of me thinks it's way too on the defensive to be positive. There are also girls who go through rush being rude to the "druggie" sorority or the "hottie" sorority. Let's just say "don't be rude" and stop at that.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I do like the message but I think it is applicable to all groups. Strong recruiting chapters can also have amazing sisterhood, have fun together and watch trashy reality tv together.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I do like the message but I think it is applicable to all groups. Strong recruiting chapters can also have amazing sisterhood, have fun together and watch trashy reality tv together.
She's talking about ALL the chapters doing these things. Read carefully.
Quote:
And you're being invited into thirteen homes. These are the places we eat, sleep, comfort each other, get ready to go out, conduct our sacred rituals, and watch trashy reality tv shows. Think about inviting us into your home. You'd want us to be respectful.
That is an inclusive statement.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
It is applicable to all groups, that's the whole point. That just because their "bottom tier" doesn't mean your manners go out the window. That the whole Greek system is opening up their homes to you and no matter the chapters reputation they deserve respect in their home.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I missed the part AOIIAngel pointed out
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 PM

I think she could have just said "I am in a sorority" and let it go at that. Preconceptions happen for all groups. All this does is makes people wonder which group at the school they're rushing is bottom tier.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the point is made in that she is in a chapter that (some) others perceive as bottom tier. And she's ok with it. Do I want her to talk like this to some girl during a rush party? No. But I think as an anonymous statement on a site like this one or "that one" it's ok, and should be seen as provocative, not necessarily how she lives her life.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 PM

The "13 homes" part stuck out to me.

You are a guest in their HOME and you have been INVITED there. Be a gracious and polite guest.

Other important note:

You might think that no one is going to care that you were rude to Lambda Least Popular.

Know that it is very possible that the girl you just rolled your eyes at in Lambda Least Popular has a best friend in Epsilon Everyone Loves. They may talk. Your rudeness to one may get you cut from a few. It happens.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Other important note:

You might think that no one is going to care that you were rude to Lambda Least Popular.

Know that it is very possible that the girl you just rolled your eyes at in Lambda Least Popular has a best friend in Epsilon Everyone Loves. They may talk. Your rudeness to one may get you cut from a few. It happens.

***THIS***
My daughter has a roommate, and they are very good friends, that is a different sorority. Think they don't talk?

Last edited by PhiMu_Mom; 08-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

There were members of my weak performing chapter who had bio sisters (one, in fact, a twin) who were in strong performing chapters on the same campus at the same time. With all the oh my god this is the end of the world drama it seems like you have to make the one single right choice because these girls will be your only friends for 4 years. The fact is unless you are an anti-social boob you WILL have friends (even good friends, roommates and sisters) who will be in other sororities. Be nice.