GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,574
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, ajacksonjunioro
» Online Users: 2,259
2 members and 2,257 guests
Loyally Kappa

Old 10-05-2002, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Question not a party animal

Hey, I'm a freshman at the University of Puget Sound, thinking about rushing in January (we have deferred rush here). Anyway, I'm really having a hard time deciding if the Greek life is for me. I'm not really into parties, although I enjoy hanging out with friends. I was wondering how much of the Greek system made up of social events? Also, we've all heard the stereotypes of greeks, negative and positive...how have these held true, or not, in your experience? Any info/advice would be helpful!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2002, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life is not all parties. A lot of social events would be with brothers or sisters only, or with a few other friends like S.O.s. Its really fun you should do it.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: not a party animal

I'm not one and never was either!

Greek Life is so much more! It is a place to find true, lifelong friends. It is a place to find help with classes, study buddies, someone to hang out with, commiserate about the good and the bad in life (men!), do service for an organization or your community, learn social skills, finally start to "grow up," run a business meeting, set goals and make them happen, network........and just so much more!! It is an experience like no other! Yes, we party, but that is such a small part in the great scheme of things.

Of course, by now you can guess that I would advise you to go thru recruitment.
You can't know if being Greek is right for you unless you check it out. Please consider it. Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2002, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
different chapters have different values, but to most of the chapters greek life is NOT ALL PARTYING! alot of us have strong ties to academics or philanthropy... remember.. "everything happens for a reason"... rush, if its for you, you'll know it.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DU_KD_924
I was never a party girl, and my sorority knew how to accept me as I was. I had a pretty serious guy all the way through college, so I didn't go to the mixers with the frats other than his. You can socialize and get all the great aspects out of a sorority without having to be a party animal...

Good luck in recruitment =)

Melissa
Old 10-06-2002, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I have to agree with the last post...I am engaged currently to my high school sweet heart, so all through this time in college I have not been avaliable. So in reality I really dont party. The fact is though, atleast on my campus, I have found there are some sorority chapters on my campus that party a lot, others that dont, and then mixed chapters. The real thing is to look at the sororities and see if you find a place where you feel at home.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm really looking forward to rushing, and meeting all the different chapters, I hope I can find one that will be a good fit for me!
Old 10-06-2002, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nauadpi
I have to agree with the last post...I am engaged currently to my high school sweet heart, so all through this time in college I have not been avaliable. So in reality I really dont party. The fact is though, atleast on my campus, I have found there are some sorority chapters on my campus that party a lot, others that dont, and then mixed chapters. The real thing is to look at the sororities and see if you find a place where you feel at home.
this makes no sense!?
Old 10-06-2002, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I can't speak for your particular campus, however I've never met anyone who says that partying is the center of their Greek Experience. There are plenty of girls in my house that don't party, and that's completely fine. My first year in my chapter, I really enjoyed going out with my sisters, but now I am cracking down on school and getting ready to graduate so I don't go out very much at all.

I was pretty anti-Greek my freshman year (long story) but, since joining, my Greek Experience has taught so much! I would really suggest going through Recruitment and making your own decision rather than worrying about phony stereotypes.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

if you want to make friends and have fun, go greek. you can be as social as you want, but don't be anit-social!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
i am always have been a home-body, granted, i don't mind going to a party just to see people, but i was never a big drinker or anything like that. and the most fun i have ever had with my sisters have not been at parties or mixers, my fondest memories are hanging out in the house, staying up all night being silly, doing things like greek-week and coming together, intermural sports...stuff like that. there are WAYYY more things to do then party!
Old 10-06-2002, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
It really depends on what kind of campus you're on and what group you end up joining, SarahGrace. At any rate, greek life is definately what you make of it.

You should strongly consider going through rush -- it'll give you the chance to meet the girls, check out the organizations, and get more of a feel for things. You probably don't want to make a decision until you have all the information, and rush is a GREAT way to get the information!

good luck!
~Jacquelyn.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

partying vs. boyfriend?

it must be me, or at least something dutch, but...
i don't see why going to parties (and get drunk if you want to) clashes with having a boyfriend -unless going to a party implies getting intimate with a guy! don't get me wrong, not everybody is a party animal and you don't have to be one to have fun in a fraternity/sorority, but i'm still together with my highschool sweetheart and have many male and female friends with whome i like to party/get drunk/ get together for other fun things. sometimes he comes along, sometimes he does not. we are faithfull to eachother and have on our own.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime

this makes no sense!?

Actually, it does make sense. The poster you quoted was saying that she did not party in college because she had a serious boyfriend and did not want to. She goes on to say that there are sororities at her campus with members who party a lot, sororities where the members do not party at all, and sororities where some of the members party and some don't, and that if the original poster goes through recruitment and gets a chance to meet members from all groups, she may very well find one that will suit her particular outlook on partying.
Anna
Old 10-06-2002, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Just remember that most sorority events are optional. Greek life is one of those things that you take out what you put in. If you want to go to a bunch of social events (mixers, dances, and parties) you can! But most of the time you can choose. It's just another experience to have in college. But you also have the choice to be only heavily involved in philanthropic and scholastic aspects of Greek life. Most juniors and seniors start to get tired of the party scene anyway! Being a member of Greek Life is just so much more than the parties! Remember that!