GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,575
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, aoganttsz2346
» Online Users: 1,853
5 members and 1,848 guests
navane, Pinkmagnolia921, Sarak24034, Zach

Old 10-11-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Question?

Hey, everyone. I have a (kinda) big problem. First of all, if you followed my rush story and are in the sorority I received a bid from, please don't be offended!

I went through formal recruitment this past semester and was going to pledge ABC. They were not my first choice the entire way through recruitment yet I kept getting asked back. I've noticed more and more, lately, that I just don't fit in there. Next semester, I will be transferring back to UTK from ETSU. I have already spent two years at UTK and I just don't like ETSU. My question is: Would it be a wise decision to go through informal next semester at UT? I'm kinda old . . . but I still have 2 1/2 years to go (it's going to take me a total of 5 years). Do you think that the fact that I dropped out of my new member period here hurt me any? Will my age/year hurt me? I'm just kinda scared and don't know what to do. ABC has been nothing but kind to me; I just don't fit in there. Any suggestions, please? . . .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2002, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Does the chapter you are currently in have a chapter at your new school?? If it does you could just affiliate with that chapter, if you wanted to.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with her affiliating is that the UTK chapter would not be required to take her; they'd have to vote on letting her affiliate.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:41 PM

It's my understanding that recruitment at UT-K is very competitive (although if I'm wrong about this, I apologize in advance.) Do you know if the sororities there often pledge upperclassmen?

Whatever you decide, do what's best for you. Good luck on what must be a very hard thing to consider.

Christin
Old 10-11-2002, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't quote me on this, but...

Don't you have to wait one calendar year before you can participate in rush again from the time you accept your bid? Just curious...
Old 10-11-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Re: Don't quote me on this, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Recent Alumna
Don't you have to wait one calendar year before you can participate in rush again from the time you accept your bid? Just curious...

Nope, you don't have to wait ... if you transfer to another school, your pledge is broken and you are eligible to pledge the same or another group immediately (providing of couse that the group is eligible to pledge additional people).
Old 10-11-2002, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If that's the case, then doesn't that answer the question? Your pledge will be broken if you transfer, so you don't have to deaffiliate which sounds kind of negative. You really don't have anything to lose by going through rush again. I sure would!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, rush at UTK is very competitive. I don't think many chapters are under ceiling, which is 100 -- I know we are over by 15 -- so there might be just one or two chapters that even qualify for informal rush. I certainly don't want to discourage you. I just want you to know the facts before you make your decision. Call the Panhellenic Office and ask how many chapters will be participating in informal rush in January just to be on the safe side.