GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,565
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, arbertosusasd45
» Online Users: 2,003
0 members and 2,003 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2002, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Bigger is Better!

My chapter has around 135 members after we do formal recruitment (which we only do in the spring). I have to say that I know every single girl in my sorority and it has never been a problem with girls seperating into cliques, etc. There is not one girl that I would feel uncomfortable talking to or anything like that. We ALL know everybody else's name- and it's not because we were made to learn them during our pledge period, because we weren't-- it's because we all really get along and love Tri-Delt. Plus, we always have an awesome turnout for events, socials, and campus activities. I really think chapters with small numbers (50-60) are missing out on the spirit that comes with having a larger chapter.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2002, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
My chapter began each school year with 40 something sisters. That size was nice, but bigger would have made everything easier in terms of division of labor. Total was 85. Anything larger would have been overwhelming to me.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

The bigger the chapter, the more discipline problems that have to be handled by only a few people. Sometimes, when there are too many, some may fall through the cracks and think it is okay to continue that sort of behavior.

In some cases, it also means that it is more difficult to meet quorum when doing some events or when you want to do something like a tour of a business or community service that would be great, and you are limited to how many people can participate. That's not cool and some people get upset when they are excluded for any reason.

Plus, it would be better to know those in your organization on a personal level so you can at least recognize them when you see them on campus.

Plus, when certain issues come up, meetings would be too long because everyone would have a different opinion and would want to express it. Our meetings already run about 2 hours long with 40 people. I can't imgaine what it would be like with 150!
Old 05-01-2002, 04:31 AM
GreekChat Member

VT-Tri Delt

Then your chapter is truly an accomplishment and I commend you guys on a job well done! I dont think I know any sorority that large that is as free of internal problems so that's where I get my perspective from.

I will have to disagree with you on the "under 50/less spirit" idea. Look at some of the NPHC organizatoins. Many of them have chapters with fewer then 40 active members and they probably operate with more spirit then chapters twice their size!

I personally belong to a chapter of about 80 people. I would like about 20 more because I enjoy the diversity you get with numbers. I dont enjoy the "growing pains" though or that personal touch you lose with size. Knowing a brother or sister by name or being able to say hello at any given moment doesnt mean that you necessarily "know them".

XP2k