GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,564
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zabenjainswifto
» Online Users: 2,097
2 members and 2,095 guests
Sister Havana
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking "New" Pledge from C.O.B.

Hello! I am new to the forum as well as Greek Life! I'm a transfer student from a CC to an average sized university. I took a chance with C.O.B. (which I didn't even know existed) because I missed rush. I was extended a bid last night and excepted. I was wondering if someone could lend some advice as far as National Panhellenic and the sorority I am pledging which is Sigma Kappa!? The idea is hard to accept that I can be invited to join after 3 meetings (informal) yet most girls go through formal rush which is so structured? Do greeks do COB to meet their quota? I was only able to meet this sorority because I felt comfortable and right at home off the bat. What do most people wear for their "whites." I feel as if I should know so much abd learn but I guess I am just worrying. I have questions about Big Sis/little Sis too and are there all types of Greek organizations ie social, professional. Thanks for all your help! =)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2000, 10:02 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmi73:
[What do most people wear for their "whites." B]
Nothing too tight, nothing too short, nothing strappy and nothing too casual. A short-sleeve or long sleeve dress in linen or some other semi-dressy fabric, or a white suit, are good choices. Make sure there is no colored trim on it (it should be as simple and classic as possible). Basically, pretend you're going for a job interview at a company that wears nothing but white.

Congratulations on your bid! If you have any other questions, just ask your sisters.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My best friend is a Sigma Kappa! Congrats on your bid I'm new to all this too, so I really can't answer any of your questions... sorry. But I just wanted to say congrats
Old 09-27-2000, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I just realized I went a little overboard on the smileys... lol.
Old 09-28-2000, 03:54 AM

Talking

Hi Kimmi!

Sigma Kappa is at my school too. What school are you at?

Formal rush used to be only three days long here; so you shouldn't be worried about having only met the members three times before they gave you a bid. It's actually a lot easier to get to know a girl during COB.

COB was created so that chapters can fill quota or total. BUT they don't just start offering bids to anyone. They're still picky. It's just as special as getting a bid through formal rush.

The fact that you were comfortable with them right off the bat says a lot. Can you imagine how comfortable you'll feel around them a month from now!?

Whites=solid white dress, white hose and white shoes

If you don't already own a white dress, ask the chapter if you can borrow one for your pinning. Then ask a member to go shopping with you for one. They'll know exactly where to find a good selection. Also, ask if off-white/cream colored is acceptable. Some chapters will let it slide and some won't.

There are lots of different types of Greek organizations. You could join a social, professional, academic, honorary and a service GLO.

We can answer all your questions to the best of our ability, but don't forget to utilize your Pledge Mom and all the actives. They'll be the most accurate with their answers.

Good Luck! Keep us posted. There are a few unregistered Sigma Kappas that pop up on here occasionally, so keep you eyes open for them.

Feel free to email me with any other questions.
Old 09-28-2000, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! NOOOO!!! DON'T wear white hose!!! Wear nude (natural depending on your skin color) hose. It is like my biggest pet peeve when people wear unnatural looking hose (white, blue, green)--especially when you will be dressed head to toe in white. You don't want to look like a big ol' icecicle!

Just look natural! You would NEVER wear white hose to a job interview, so don't wear it to rush or as your "sorority whites".

Besides that, I say take SoCalgirl's advice for all it's worth. Absolutely ask about cream and see if you can borrow a white dress. If not, white's not in season, so check out the sale racks at the department stores.

Whew! Had to get that out! Good luck!
Old 09-28-2000, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I know several GLOs that require the white hose for pledging and initiation.
Old 09-28-2000, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey thanks a bunch for your advice! It really helped me out? Are you in a GLO? I attend GVSU in Michigan. What about you? Is Sigma Kappa not at many schools or something because I got the impression from you it was at yours. What is the purpose for all white besides it being special? Do you know what frats do? What is the purpose of a big brother. Do you think it is only natural to still have doubts and question why pledge even after you accept the bid? I am excited but still have all these feelings, it's scary in a way because it's a major comittment! Thanks for everything! =)
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl:
Hi Kimmi!

Sigma Kappa is at my school too. What school are you at?

Formal rush used to be only three days long here; so you shouldn't be worried about having only met the members three times before they gave you a bid. It's actually a lot easier to get to know a girl during COB.

COB was created so that chapters can fill quota or total. BUT they don't just start offering bids to anyone. They're still picky. It's just as special as getting a bid through formal rush.

The fact that you were comfortable with them right off the bat says a lot. Can you imagine how comfortable you'll feel around them a month from now!?

If you don't already own a white dress, ask the chapter if you can borrow one for your pinning. Then ask a member to go shopping with you for one. They'll know exactly where to find a good selection. Also, ask if off-white/cream colored is acceptable. Some chapters will let it slide and some won't.

There are lots of different types of Greek organizations. You could join a social, professional, academic, honorary and a service GLO.

We can answer all your questions to the best of our ability, but don't forget to utilize your Pledge Mom and all the actives. They'll be the most accurate with their answers.

Good Luck! Keep us posted. There are a few unregistered Sigma Kappas that pop up on here occasionally, so keep you eyes open for them.

Feel free to email me with any other questions.
Old 09-28-2000, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Daisy!! What GLO are you in? So did you just rush this semester too? I have tons of questions too, so don't feel like you are the only one. Do you ever have doubts, I do but i guess that is only natural. I guess all you can do is go and get to know your sisters and keep an open mind that it all takes time! =)
Quote:
Originally posted by daisymargarita:
My best friend is a Sigma Kappa! Congrats on your bid I'm new to all this too, so I really can't answer any of your questions... sorry. But I just wanted to say congrats
Old 10-01-2000, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I know this is going to sound retarded, but someone educate me because this irks me.

What the hell is up with sororities and images?

I just read like 10 replies on what to wear to rush to make the best impression.. who gives a ****? Any Greek group should care about, is this person going to be an active part of the chapter? are they going to exemplify what we believe in? are they going to do their best to further our presence and ideals?

Who gives a ++++ if you wear white hose or not? What the **** is wrong with sororities?

Sorry for the angry message, seeing this stuff makes my blood boil. I know so many sorority girls that are so **** phony and don't give a *** about the sisterhood at all. It's all image and whatnot. That's **** up. This just backs up my claim that sororities should go through a non-structured fraternity rush. Since sororities don't have to worry about fading out of existence by not getting any new members, they can focus on how their image is. A fraternity actually has to worry about getting hardworking, good brothers, not just pretty boys who will attract women.

Someone enlighten me as to what I'm missing.

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old 10-01-2000, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

You're missing the point, boy. Nobody cares what you think, especially when you use the language you did. We're unimpressed.
Old 10-01-2000, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

To the person concerned about sorority and image:
I will answer your questions, just to help clear you up.

The women's questions about what to wear for 'whites' is a very valid question. Sororities wear white not out of image concern, but out of respect for the ritual the sorority was founded on. My particular sorority requests that women wear white dress or skirt, white hose and white shoes. It is also recommended that you cover any tattoos, and wear little to no makeup or jewelry. Ritual is not a fashion show, but a very serious event. The idea is not to impress those around you, but actually to be pure and simple. Sororities do not do their ritual for image, but for the beauty that lies INSIDE of each of us, and therefore request that everyone be uniform on the outside for these occasions.
Old 10-01-2000, 08:48 PM

Hey, Joe...

where you going with that gun in your hand? (sorry - force of habit)

But seriously...

Would you wear your grossest sweats, a backward baseball cap and your "coed naked barhopping" t-shirt to a job interview? Or for that matter, to a rush party? No, I don't think you would. You would wear your nicest things for the occasion. Also, females have many more fashion choices than men. That's why there were so many questions about what to wear. A guy can basically wear khakis, sweater & button-down and be good, but there are a lot more variances in female dress.

Microbiomajor hit it on the head with her response regarding white and ritual dress. Believe me, we sure as heck don't wear white because it makes us look stunning, cause with a lot of people it doesn't.
Old 10-02-2000, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
Hey, Joe...

where you going with that gun in your hand? (sorry - force of habit)

But seriously...

Would you wear your grossest sweats, a backward baseball cap and your "coed naked barhopping" t-shirt to a job interview? Or for that matter, to a rush party? No, I don't think you would. You would wear your nicest things for the occasion. Also, females have many more fashion choices than men. That's why there were so many questions about what to wear. A guy can basically wear khakis, sweater & button-down and be good, but there are a lot more variances in female dress.

Microbiomajor hit it on the head with her response regarding white and ritual dress. Believe me, we sure as heck don't wear white because it makes us look stunning, cause with a lot of people it doesn't.
Try and look at it this way: last year at rush, there was a guy that rushed pretty hard, hit most of the houses, but there was once catch: he dressed pretty ratty, on purpose. He did this to weed out the superficial fraternities that wouldn't talk to him based on how he looked. At our house, we looked twice at him, but we have a rule that we don't care about image - we care about people. We talked to this guy, and he absolutely BLEW OUR MINDS. We were desperate for this guy. We got him, initiated him, and he turned out to be one of our brightest, most dedicated, hardcore brothers ever. This guy would have gotten bids at every house he stopped at if they just talked to him, but almost every house ignored him based on what he looked like. We ignored his image, found out who he was beneath the ratty clothes, and got an awesome brother as a result of our efforts.

I know sorority rush is different, but can you kinda see where I'm coming from?
Old 10-02-2000, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Nobody102:
I know sorority rush is different, but can you kinda see where I'm coming from?
Not with your attitude & language, no! I can appreciate seeing the beauty within, but wearing ratty clothes to a job interview won't get you very far! As for wearing whites, blacks, blues, greens, etc, why do you even care? You aren't in a sorority/fraternity for women so leave us be! You obviously weren't posting in peace while trying to learn like the majority of us on here do! We're super happy that you don't care about image - now go have a sprite!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Closed Thread