GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,117
2 members and 2,115 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-25-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

AIs: First meeting, "Now What"?

To AIs and my fellow PNAMs:

I'd like to hear some thoughts on continuing the intro process once it starts. You meet a group (or the prez/leader) and then...... what's next? Granted, this is an odd time of year when people are getting ready to take a break over the summer. But what kind of follow-up should a PNAM do during this time to maintain that you are interested without becoming a PITA?

I'd be glad to hear thoughts from the other side of this: from the rest of the alumnae out there.

Winding down the day at work......
Adrienne (PNAM-2003)

Last edited by adduncan; 04-26-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2003, 06:12 PM

I am going to be "environmentally friendly" and recycle my old post, with your blessing!
-------------------
Hi Adrienne,
All of the above ladies give great advice. I like the idea of handwritten note cards and thank you letters - the art of beautiful letter writing is somewhat lost now in this Information Age.

I was part of a failed colony, so I already had a connection to Delta Gamma, which made things a bit easier. I had met several National Officers who later sponsored me for membership, so that made it fairly straightforward.

That being said, I would say, always send a thank you note after an event that you've been invited to and attended. And if things seem quiet in summer time, I would also send a note out about a month to a month and a half before "recruitment". The sorority will have recruitment of new members on their mind, and hopefully they will be thinking to recruit an alumna intiate too, not only collegians.

Hang in there...it took a longer time for some ladies but eventually they found their home.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Just FYI - the other identically titled thread has been closed - please continue (nicely!) your discussion on this thread.

Thanks

LXAALUM
Old 04-25-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re-posting my response

Well, as everyone knows, I am a PNAM myself. If you go to an event at an alumna's house, then I would write a thank you note to the alumna association president AND to the woman who hosted the party. The same thing goes for if it was a collegiate chapter you participated with.

Or, you can try some of the following to keep your name fresh in someone's mind without being a pest:

- e-mail your contact person with holiday greetings ("I just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving/New Year/Independence Day...")

- e-mail your alumna and/or collegiate contact on the organization's Founders' Day to wish them the best on their special day. It shows them that you're knowledgable about the sorority's facts and were obviously interested enough to find out.

- e-mail your collegiate contact to congratulate them on their successful rush. Of course, it helps if they have a website or you've heard from a reliable source that they did well!

Yes, these ideas allow you to show interest and keep your name in front of the other person without sounding impatient or odd. But, frankly, I really *am* interested in this group, it's history and the individual ladies - my notes are always sincere!

Also, there is nothing wrong with the occassional straight-forward follow-up asking about how the AI process is coming along.

Now, with "sorority #1" I did actually send a real thank you card to the ladies via the post because I knew the address. With "sorority #2" I did not have that information. Here are three samples of actual e-mails I have sent with minor adjustments:

Non-confrontational follow-up:

Hello!

Wow! It sure has been quite a while since we last spoke! I hope you've had a
great start to the new year!

You may recall, I spoke with you a couple months ago about my interest in XYZ's alumnae initate program. I just wanted to check in with you and see if there is anything I might be able to help out with. Of course, there's always the possibility that it just isn't a good time. That's ok too! Please do let me know if there is anything I can do. Thanks!

{Mynamehere}

-----

A thank you note after a meeting:

{Nameofalumna},

Thank you so much for taking the time out to find a time and place to meet with me. My confidence in XYZ is constantly growing thanks to friendly ladies such as yourself.

Again I am really glad that I had a chance to finally meet you - I had fun! I will definitely keep in touch while in England!

{Mynamehere}

-----

Random greeting:

Hi {collegiatepresident} and the ladies of {chapterdesignation}!

The other day I read that {insertdate} is XYZ's Founders' Day.

Happy Founders' Day! Best Wishes and I hope XYZ has {howevermany} more!

A Friend of XYZ,

{Mynamehere}

------

Again, I cannot stress enough how important it is that you actually mean what you say. No one wants to be strung along by someone who is acting all fake. In my case, I think that "sorority #2" (referred to as XYZ in the above examples) and the alumna and collegiate members are just super-terrific. I really can't wait to get back to the US so I can call them up and hopefully resume the process. So, in a way, my contacting them is just as much about me expressing to them how much I appreciate them as people as it is about them not forgetting who I am. Does that make sense?

It is a fine line to walk when an alumna flakes and doesn't call you back when she said she would. Sometimes it's necessary to be a mild pain in the rear end in order to get a result. hehehe I recently tried a strategy with a non-greek related issue which seems to work. I couldn't get a person to respond to my e-mails. So, I kept the content of the e-mails positive and upbeat as always, but I changed the subject/title as a subtle way of saying "stop ignoring me". I titled them like this:

- HCHS ticket info needed

- HCHS ticket info needed - Attempt #2

- HCHS ticket info needed - Attempt #3

I always get a result by #3. This system has the added bonus of helping me keep track of when I sent e-mails.

Maybe you won't like any of my ideas. That's ok! They worked for me but they may not work for everyone.

.....Kelly
Old 04-26-2003, 01:56 PM
cutiepatootie

I must say....

I just read the closed thread and reading Browneyedgirls posting of ZTA alum initate..... i still have goosebumps. that was the most touching post i have read in a long time! ZTA is most lucky to her margret and you!

Laura

ALUM INITATE of ALPHA PHI...dang it!
Old 04-26-2003, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I agree, BrownEyedGirl - what a special memory that must have been for you and for Margaret. I'm glad that your chapter took the time to honor someone who has played such a big part in the lives of ZTAs in your town. Kudos to you, your chapter, and to Margaret! I'm sure she's stunning in her silver crown!
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

E-mail contexts

I think that some good advice has come about on this thread...but I have one VERY friendly word of caution.

I feel that using "Attempt #1" could be contextually aggressive. I KNOW how ancy one can get waiting for a return e-mail or call; please consider that, in some areas, numbering one's e-mails could be seen as aggressive. However, I am not sure of a better way to elicit response.....

Just a humble and, again, friendly thought...
Silver
Old 04-30-2003, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: E-mail contexts

I would have to agree with your wisdom, Silver. Matters such as these require a delicate touch......

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 05-01-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: E-mail contexts

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver

I feel that using "Attempt #1" could be contextually aggressive. I KNOW how ancy one can get waiting for a return e-mail or call; please consider that, in some areas, numbering one's e-mails could be seen as aggressive. However, I am not sure of a better way to elicit response.....

I can only assume that you are refering to my post. Is this correct? If so, I would like to respond.

I can see the point you are making, and it makes sense to me.

However, if you go back and look again, you will see that I never suggested the use of "Attempt #1" as something to write in the first e-mail. "Attempt #2" and "Attempt #3", yes...but not #1. Why in the world would I type that into the subject line of the first e-mail? After all, if I'm requesting information, I do so with the expectation that the other person will kindly reply in a fairly prompt manner.

Now, if you were referring more to the whole idea (saying "Attempt #__") my response is only a repeat of what I said in the original post. I said that, "I couldn't get a person to respond to my e-mails." That's to say that I had a history of non-responsiveness from this individual *before* I decided to start numbering the e-mails. I wouldn't start out being "aggressive" with someone I'd never communicated with.

To make sure it's clear, I did *not* sit there impatiently and send an e-mail every 2 days or something. I'm talking weeks here. It doesn't matter if one is in a sorority, business, or charity club, it shouldn't take weeks and months to reply to an e-mail.

I was merely offering an idea; and I acknowledge that you were merely offering some feedback. I can appreciate that you were trying to be friendly and I don't doubt that for a minute!

Though, I'm starting to feel like I'm not very keen on posting my ideas anymore. It seems like 75% of the time I post my experiences, opinion or idea in this forum, someone replies and gives me a "cautionary" comment.

In this case, I offered some 9 points in my long post. I even went through the trouble of digging out old e-mails so that I could share them with others in hopes that it might help. Yet no one really commented on those 8 "good" points. I feel like I'm getting picked on for the one "bad" point which, in my opinion, was misinterpreted.

Oh well... At the end of the day, I stick by what I said. I trust that people (PNAMs) are smart enough to decide whether or not something will work for them in their situation.

I am sincere in my efforts here at GC and I hope that people don't see me as someone who has a "plow right through 'em!" attitude. I'm only trying to help.

Best Regards to you AOII Silver and CutiePie2000,

.....Kelly

Last edited by navane; 05-01-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

OKAY, one and all, all and one!

Just chill the burning churning jets!!

While each reads and interprets maybe it is wrongly read! Then a response is posted.

How do I know this, hell is easy, I am the worst offender!!

10-04!

navane, how is the GC gathering going in Merry Ole E?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-03-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

RockChalk, please clean out your PM box!

.....Kelly
Old 05-04-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

navane, I find you rather atractive and more mature than many women that I have met if a long time. I am proposing that we meet ontop of the Empire State Building on the second night you are in the States!

I have become emoured with you in the few pictures and the forth right way you handle yourself in situations.

Now:
Q. Do you like older men????? OOPS, More Mature Gentlemen?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-04-2003, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

.....Tom, I have no idea what you look like but I do think you must be a blast to be around in person!! Heck I am just a crusty old married woman, but your posts ALWAYS bring a smile to my face PLUS I was a Lambda Chi Little sis ages ago in college (1970's )...so please don't sully my mind's occasional meanderings with images of you and navane on the empire state bldg! hmph!

Now back to Adrienne -- any news to report girl?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
RockChalk, please clean out your PM box!

.....Kelly
It's clean now! I didn't think I even had that many PMs in there.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
Now back to Adrienne -- any news to report girl?
A little news, yes, but I'm not quite ready to report the whole thing.

Let's just say, when it rains, it pours.

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)