GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,400
1 members and 2,399 guests
g41965

Old 05-14-2004, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

My understanding is that The University of Kentucky only allows (recognizes) (inter)national fraternities and sororities.

A chapter does not have to be a member of NIC (IFC), NPHC, NPC or NALFO; however, they do have to have some sort of (inter)national organization - i.e. governing board or council. In other words, no "local" GLOs allowed at UK.

Do any other campuses have similar restrictions or requirements?

My guess is that the UK Administration does so now for risk management purposes. But frankly, other than GLOs and clubs that became chapters back in the early 1900's, I don't recall any "locals" ever being on campus. Perhaps AchtungBaby80, GtownGirl98, TigerLilly, or UKDaisy can confirm or may have more information.

FYI: Four recognized chapters at UK are not a member of either NIC, NPHC, NALFO or NPC.

Sororities
Ceres
Phi Sigma Rho

Fraternities
Kappa Sigma
Phi Delta Theta

Both Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta withdrew from the IFC. And to my knowledge, Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho were never part of NPC or any other similar governing body.

Edited to add NALFO to list of national associations and to correct IFC to NIC.

Last edited by TSteven; 05-15-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My guess is it might have to do with insurance. Most locals don't get it right away but organizations with at least several chapters regardless of whether they belong to NPC/NIC/NPHC/NALFO (am I leaving any out) usually have insurance.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Insurance is a part, but not the only part. Many administrations want a partner in oversight. Its always most difficult to go it alone.

Also, locals lack the resources to change, so when reform is needed, locals rarely do so.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Russ is so right on.

With Rish managemet Insurance cost climbing like wild ivey up the hallowed halls, there is a problem bringing onto Campus an Organization that is not fully vested via some sort of Insurance. Ergo an International (National) Greek Organization.

I always hate to Bring Up Shorter Colege in Rome Ga. that were all locals but they are the newest. The Adm. decided they while liking Greeks, they wanted Nationals (Inter) simply for the fact that there would be a stronger hand taken for Hazing Restrictions.

Nationals also have the people who do Chapter Visitations to check on them, the data base to see what the Grades are, What Organizations on campus that their participating in, or even sports. Why, because most feel it is good to have a well rounded member of Their Organizatin who will reresent them in a positive mode.

As Russ said, in many cases, the Locals are reluctent to change from the day to day business of running or hazing, that has cause many problems.

Greek Letters do not a Greek Organization be.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-14-2004, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
ITs about control. Not only do admins want nationals they prefer larger nationals. They know that if a group witb 200 chapters has a chapter with a problem they won't hesistate to yank its charter.

Some of the smaller groups aren't as quick to do it. And locals don't have to do it at all.

There are less ways to control Local groups.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Just so I'm not confused...

Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta are no longer part of the national IFC and not just on UK?

I've heard of Ceres but not Phi Sigma Rho.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
i think that Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta withdrew from the NIC, not IFC.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

bout the Fraternity Leadership Association

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn

Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta are no longer part of the national IFC and not just on UK?
. . .
OK, there is a new-this-year "trade association" for fraternities, the Fraternity Leadership Association. The founding members are Delta Kappa Epsilon. Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Pi, and Phi Sigma Kappa, according to a news release on Kappa SIgma's web site --

http://www.kappasigma.org/php-bin/ne...a5187385886ecb

Time will tell whether this new association is viable and valuable, I suppose.

Last edited by exlurker; 05-14-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn

I've heard of Ceres but not Phi Sigma Rho.
Founded in 1984 at Purdue University, Phi Sigma Rho is a national social sorority for women in engineering and engineering technology. They have 17 chapters and colonies. http://www.phisigmarho.org/ A member used to post on GC but I haven’t seen her around lately.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

That's nice that UK has that rule. I'm sure it's for insurance and risk management purposes. However, a public institution really can't say who can and cannot affiliate with the school. If the satanist society wants to be school recognized, I really don't see any reason the school can decide not to recognize them.

Now, as for giving funds to that organization, that may be another story
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-15-2004, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
Ceres
Phi Sigma Rho
Neither of these sororities are social sororities. Ceres is agriculturally based fraternity & Phi Sigma Rho is for engineering students. This is why they are allowed UK campus.

I don't know about Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta though.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
That's nice that UK has that rule. I'm sure it's for insurance and risk management purposes. However, a public institution really can't say who can and cannot affiliate with the school. If the satanist society wants to be school recognized, I really don't see any reason the school can decide not to recognize them.

Now, as for giving funds to that organization, that may be another story
Like you were saying...can a public institution really ban local GLOs? Not to burst your bubble, TSteven, but I can't find anything in UK's student organization bylaws or Panhellenic Council bylaws (didn't look in IFC's) that sounds like a ban on local GLOs. Can anyone name other colleges that have this rule? I agree I can see why university administrations would prefer to have GLOs with some kind of governing body above the university level, but can they really ban ones that don't have that? Or just "strongly discourage" them?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
I don't know about Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta though.
They're still national fraternities, they just don't belong to th NIC anymore. It has nothing to do with their national status.

oh and incidentally, IFC = Inter Fraternity Council and NIC = North American Interfraternity Council. It's the same organization, only called one thing at the school and another overall.

The school can refuse to recognize Greeks that don't have some sort of national backing, but they can do NOTHING to prevent students from joining them, unless they put it in the student code that everyone signs, and I doubt that would ever hold up if challenged as it conflicts with the freedom of association act. The only schools that can get away with disallowing students to join unrecognized groups are those that take no federal funds.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of Wisconsin has a similar rule.

We did have locals at one point -- the chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma was founded here and later went national, and looking at the old yearbooks confirms that local sororities and fraternities were a part of the campus culture in the 1920s and 30s. I'm not sure when the new rule took effect.

As ktsnake points out, technically a public university can't keep a local GLO from existing -- but without university/Greek system recognition, I would be very surprised if a local could survive, let alone thrive, here. The campus is relatively anti-Greek so without campus support OR support from the Greek system, I imagine a local would be short-lived.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
Neither of these sororities are social sororities. Ceres is agriculturally based fraternity & Phi Sigma Rho is for engineering students. This is why they are allowed UK campus.
Both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are "social" in nature and members of UK's Panhellenic Council.

Ceres is similar to Alpha Gamma Sigma, Alpha Gamma Rho and FarmHouse - all three social fraternities and members of NIC - in that it is a women's fraternity with an interest in agriculture.

Ceres was formed at a FarmHouse conclave out of FarmHouse's little sister program as their own social group separate of FarmHouse.

From the Phi Sigma Rho web site at UK. "Phi Sigma Rho is a national social sorority for females in engineering and technical fields."

This is similar to Triangle Fraternity in that Triangle is a social fraternity, a member of NIC, with a majority of the members having an interest in engineering, architecture and science.