GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,864
0 members and 1,864 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2004, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
What to wear during INformal rush

Yes, I have read the numerous threads about what to wear for Formal Recruitment, but what about informal? I know that I won't have to wear black shirts and pants, but how do I know if I've crossed the line between informal and sloppy? I go to a New England university which is about 10-15% Greek. I just don't want to look stupid or over/underdressed. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
At my school we have formal recruitment, but our formal recruitment is informal...if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is that we're the only sorority on campus, so our formal recruitment is very different from those schools that have 2 or more groups.

For my groups info session it was right after a late afternoon class so I showed up in jeans and a sweatshirt as I had just come from class.

For the first party I just wore jeans a nice top. The girls were all dressed in letter tess or letter sweatshirts so I wasn't undersdressed nor did I look akward because I was over dressed.
We just plaed a bunch of get to know you games and team building games.

For the second party we did something for our philanthropy. We were at a house that a few of my sisters lived in together (as we don't have an official house) and made bookmarks for a local reading group. I just wore jeans and a sweater.

I think you'd be fine in either jeans or a nice pair of khakis or a nice pair of pants and either a sweater or button up shirt even a nice top that you would wear with khakis should be fine.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:37 PM

I went through informal rush at Kent State (Ohio) that is about 10% greek:

For informal rush, it really depends on the event.

First event was cookie baking @ the house. I wore jeans and a nice top. Nothing TOO fancy b/c I knew things would get messy!

The second event was a Kent State basketball game. I wore a KSU t-shirt and jeans.

The third was board games @ the house and I wore jeans and and khakis b/c I had just come from a field study @ a local kidergarten.

But really, it just depends on the event. Unless they specify, I'd just go w/ jeans or khakis and a nice top. Something a little nicer than what you'd wear to class everyday.

Tip: You've crossed the SLOPPY line if you show up in sweats, dirty, or looking unkempt.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 PM

You may get some clues from the types of events the sorority is holding. If they're holding a picnic in the park, you may be able to get away with something more casual; if they're doing a formal tea, get dressed up a bit. The informal rush information might even include suggestions as to how dressed up to get.

I would avoid cutoffs, t-shirts with printing (especially if alcohol or smoking related), anything that looks like you're going clubbing afterward, and anything damaged. But you probably don't need the latest Lilly dress for informal.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2004, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

standard outfit for informal recruitment events, ala Iowa State:

a collared shirt of some form (polo or dress-shirt)
khaki/cargo shorts with leather sandals or nice jeans with nice looking shoes.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on how formal your campus is. I went through informal because that's all we had, and I just dressed up one more notch from what we'd wear to class - my campus was a t-shirt and jeans school, so for recruitment I wore a jean skirt and polo, or jeans and a nicer top.

However, I know this girl who goes to school out east who doesn't wear jeans EVER, so if your campus is like that, then I'd wear a cute sweater/sundress/skirt combo of some sort.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
When we do informal we always tell the girls when they need to dress up more than just casual. Again, like others have said, it will depend on the day. At our school I would say jeans and a nice top or khahis.