GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 03-16-2003, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Honeymoon suggestions?

Mr. Mox & I are in the process of planning our wedding, and we seem to be hitting a brick wall when it comes to honeymoon spots. Anyone out there have a good idea of where to go?

A few FYIs...we do not have a ton of money to spend, and the honeymoon will be Sept. 21st though 27th.....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm.. I was ging to suggest Bali, or Trinidad and Tobago. Hawii is cool, but there are 10 million honeymooners there. If you go to Hawaii, go to Kawai, it is so beautiful! Unfortuantely, all of these palces are expensive, since they are far away. You can always look for good deals to Southern Europe -- Spain, the Canary Islands (Spain, but off the coast of North Afdrica), Italy, Greece. You can always find cheap hotels there and save money that way.
-M
Old 03-16-2003, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't know anything about honeymoons, but here are some ideas for staying in the US
1) Are you history buffs? Perhaps go somewhere that has a rich history (someplace where they do Civil War reenactments etc)
2) Do you guys like to do water sports? HAve you ever gone scuba diving etc? Maybe go to the Keys in Florida--go swim with the dolphins
3) What state have you always wanted to visit,but never have?
4) I heard Alaska is beautiful
5) Obviously you know what your interests and your man's interests are --see if you can incorporate them into where you stay on your honeymoon. Does that make sense?
Everyone always seems to go to Hawaii or the Bahamas (yeah that's cool and I heard those places are beautiful), but sometimes it's fun to be unique. Go on a road trip (? or is that too stressful after a wedding?) --Take out the camera and make sure to get photos together on the way at little locales etc--if you see somethingfunny take a picture-- you'll come home and have memories that will make you smile for years to come.
When is the wedding?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Unregistered-

The end of September is considered to be one of the 'slower' tourist months, so there will probably be a drop in prices after Labor Day.

If you do come to Hawaii, it would be nice to spend a day on Oahu, but since you two will be on your honeymoon, KAUAI and/or MAUI might be more romantic to spend the bulk part of your trip.

A lot of people think coming to Hawaii is expensive, but it doesn't have to be! You just need to know where to look!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm going to take these home and see if he and I can agree on anything.

AlphaSigLana: The wedding is September 20th!
Old 03-17-2003, 09:30 PM

I know already brought this "home" but I feel the need to plug PORTUGAL...especially the Azores and/or Madeira. If you want to know more PM me. Portugal is possibly one of the most beautiful and underrated places on the planet, IMHO...of course
Old 03-17-2003, 09:55 PM

We went to DisneyWorld for our honeymoon and enjoyed every moment. We had to wait 18 months to go on a honeymoon, but it was worth the wait! :-)

Christin
Old 03-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Spain! It's cheaper to fly international than domestic these days!

Things are relatively inexpensive there, the country is beautiful and there's tons to do!

You might just fly up there, rent a car and drive around at your own pace... or if you're more ambitious join a tour group. They're excellent values.

Congratulations and have fun!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 03-18-2003 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The Mr. and I went to New Orleans for our honeymoon.

Partially for the history of the place, partially because neither of us had ever been there, and most of all because the hotel was one block off of Bourbon St, aka, party all year round!

Good luck w/ the planning! (My house was a sweatshop the week before the wedding and I came -->| |<--this close to just saying FTS and going to Vegas!)

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)
Old 03-18-2003, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

When you said you were looking to save money, I immediately thought about places within the continental US, or close enough to be relatively inexpensive. Those other places are cute and fun to tell people about, but they aren't the best places when you have to save money.

With that in mind...
New Orleans
San Francisco
rent a nice beach cottage in a semi-secluded area
Puerto Rico
Old 03-18-2003, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
Aruba
Dominican Republic
TEXAS- -
St Augustine, Florida or Boca Raton, Florida
South Carolina
Georgia has several islands-Jekyl Island and St Simons Island
Old 03-18-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

We went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon...loved every minute of it!
Old 03-18-2003, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to plug Portugal and Spain. Depending on where you are, flying can be pretty cheap (lik $350 a person), and not that much more than flying domestic (esp Hawaii). The exchange rate is good, although not as much now than with the Euro. The coolest thing is it's really different than the US and very fun.

-M
Old 03-18-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you thought about a cruise? There are some wonderful destinations out there, and a cruise is an excellent way to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your travelling dollar!

September is also a "shoulder" season, so you can probably find some really great deals!

Let us know what you and Mr. Mox end up deciding.

(PS: greeklawboy and I went to Maui and Big Island for two weeks during our honeymoon. It was amazing! While we opted to splurge, I *do* know that there are also many less expensive ways to visit Hawaii if your heart is set on it.)
Old 03-18-2003, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd definately second the cruise idea! That's a good time of the year to go (well, except it's around hurricane season). You can get some great deals.
My parents are going in October to the Eastern Carribean. Getting a great deal.

My dad's cousin Marsha and her husband John run a travel agency in Pittsburgh (Wexford) that deals exclusively with cruises. They're very good, they know EVERYTHING about cruises, and they have some great deals.

Their website is http://www.cruisematch.com. You can request info through their site and their phone number is on there too.

Tell them that I recommended you to them (you know my full name )... Not sure if that will help get your a deal or not (they're not family that i see very often), but it couldn't hurt!

PM me or email me if you wanna.