GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,477
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, greorasyandexta
» Online Users: 2,380
3 members and 2,377 guests
isabellatexxdz1, Jerryhak, moe.ron

Old 03-11-2023, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyInMD View Post
I have compassion for the undergraduate chapter members, my opinion was about the National organization, not the undergraduate chapter. My understanding from my daughter and messages parents have posted on social media, is the undergraduate chapter members were not aware of its status with the National organization. Yes, my heart also breaks for the current undergraduates.
I call foul that they had no idea they were in a precarious position. Nationals lose money when they have to close chapters and ordinarily, when a chapter is closed, Nationals has previously sent leadership consultants, regional, and national officers to lend a hand and offer guidance. Goals and deadlines are set. There is also correspondence from Nationals to the chapter, so if this did not happen with this chapter, unless this was a serious risk management issue, which is the only incident that might get a chapter closed down without notice, I don’t think you or your daughter have gotten the whole story.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Posters on this board refer to women maximizing their options during recruitment, I interpreted this to mean if a PNM accepts all invitations she will not be dropped from recruitment. I did not understand that a women could still be dropped by all chapters prior to pref. My error.
Maximizing one's options inherently means that one has options. I only know of one campus that requires all PNMs receive bids. There may be one or two more.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I call foul that they had no idea they were in a precarious position. Nationals lose money when they have to close chapters and ordinarily, when a chapter is closed, Nationals has previously sent leadership consultants, regional, and national officers to lend a hand and offer guidance. Goals and deadlines are set. There is also correspondence from Nationals to the chapter, so if this did not happen with this chapter, unless this was a serious risk management issue, which is the only incident that might get a chapter closed down without notice, I don’t think you or your daughter have gotten the whole story.
I am sure I don't have the whole story. However, if the chapter was aware of its situation, that bolsters the point I made in my original post. Why were bids extended, then the new members released two weeks later? Weren't National and chapter advisors looking at the numbers during rush if the chapter's situation was that precarious? The timing prevented the new members from receiving bids from other chapters, receiving snap bids and participating in COB which most chapters had completed by the time the new members were informed they were being released. I understand closing a chapter is painful for the active members, but the timing negatively impacted the 25 new members. It was not a risk management issue.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I get the impression that many of the girls only had Alpha Alpha left anyway, which means they would have been bidless had AA not participated.

I don't know how much the AA chapter knew about their situation. Nationals could have come in there with all kinds of physical and other help and maybe AA thought, "We can do this!" But it didn't happen and Nationals looked at the bottom line and said it wasn't going to work.

One good thing was that they released all the girls before initiation. It would have been horrible if they had kept them until then, knowing that they then wouldn't have had other options. In no way should the other groups been forced to pledge the newly released girls, though, especially if they had been cut by the other groups already.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My opinion is Alpha Alpha acted irresponsibly and callously, and the remaining sororities on campus aren't doing anything to assist these women. I'm giving you an example where seeing the process through and trusting the process did not serve this group of women at all. According to my daughter, about half the released PNMs are sophomore transfer students and will not rush again next year as juniors.
As far as the remaining sororities on campus doing nothing to assist the released women, said sororities made their own previous choices to release these women. No one can force a sorority to accept women they've previously released.

As far as seeing the process through and trusting the process, life turns and changes on a dime. There really are no guarantees in life. Going with the flow and bending/changing when necessary are good life options.

Reacting to and recovering from any type of sorority release requires more than complaining. Any released woman in your stated situation does have the option to re-rush, despite their apparent statements to your daughter that they will not do so.

There is also no hard-and-fast, NPC-wide mandatory rule that women cut by a chapter will always be cut; that decision belongs to each individual NPC group and involves Membership Selection which we on GC don't discuss.

Last edited by Cheerio; 03-13-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I know what this is about. I was advised it was going to go national, to all 26 due to the new potential members we allowed in. Private message me.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki423 View Post
I know what this is about. I was advised it was going to go national, to all 26 due to the new potential members we allowed in. Private message me.
I don't understand?

True and Constant
Old 03-22-2023, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I was advised that the potential new members were going to be released as they were not a good fit for the organization at large and thus not the right fit for PNC, period. I cannot say all I was advised due to privacy concerns, but know it’s been a long time coming.

Last edited by Mikki423; 03-22-2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-22-2023, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mikki, this isn't making any sense. We know where it happened.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

PNC? What is PNC?

How would a member of Beta Sigma Phi know NPC stuff?
Old 03-22-2023, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
PNC? What is PNC?

How would a member of Beta Sigma Phi know NPC stuff?
There's a bank called PNC...
Old 03-22-2023, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki423 View Post
I was advised that the potential new members were going to be released as they were not a good fit for the organization at large and thus not the right fit for PNC, period. I cannot say all I was advised due to privacy concerns, but know it’s been a long time coming.
Quote:
PNC? What is PNC?
I assume it was just a typo and she meant NPC.

Mikki, we're just trying to understand your message. Reading your post carefully, it sounds like you're saying that the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter at Cornell was directed (by PSS HQ?) to release all of their new members due to them feeling that the Cornell new member class didn't fit in right with PSS as a whole.

Or, you are possibly saying that another NPC sorority on the campus did not want to offer bids to the PSS released new members because they didn't fit into their sorority?

Please help me understand. You did say in another post "I was advised it was going to go national, to all 26 due to the new potential members we allowed in". Can you expand on what you meant? National NPC? What new members did you let in? (Who is the "we"? you mention?")

I can tell you have a lot to share, and it's probably important and worth discussing, but I'm having a hard time because the posts are vague.

True and Constant
Old 03-22-2023, 01:17 PM

Pardon my lane jump- Would the released pnms of this chapter be eligible for bids this semester or do they still need to wait until the next semester?

I remember a chapter getting closed at another school due to RMF. The pnms as a group (or mostly) joined another sorority the spring semester. I've personally seen this happen in the IFC world on two occasions, but do not know how often it occurs in the NPC world.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-22-2023, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

They could pledge right off if the other groups have space and want them. I have never seen a mass pickup by another sorority, though.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it might have occurred at Michigan a couple of years ago.