GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 2,425
3 members and 2,422 guests
MethrenLusia, TLLK, zataylorittz374

Old 09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AΩEGirl21
How do you start an Alumni Chapter???

Hi I am an active sister currently but I really want to start an alumni chapter for my sorority. I was wondering how to get it going and also what kind of responsibility the alumni chapter would have. Any little bit will help!!!

~Alpha Omega Epsilon Sister~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AΩEGirl21 View Post
Hi I am an active sister currently but I really want to start an alumni chapter for my sorority. I was wondering how to get it going and also what kind of responsibility the alumni chapter would have. Any little bit will help!!!

~Alpha Omega Epsilon Sister~
I can't remember...are you guys a local? If so, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

My alumnae (note the proper use of alumnae vs. alumni) chapter has two major areas of focus: supporting the collegiate chapter and philanthropy. In between helping the collegians and raising money to support the Foundation, there are get togethers -- happy hour, kids' play dates, Stampin' Up demonstrations, etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, sister!

My chapter tossed around the idea for getting an alumnae chapter together my senior year, but I'm pretty sure it never went anywhere.

Check with the IEB. They'll let you know what to do and how many people you need.

Make sure you have some events planned with the collegiate chapter so you can get the alumnae involved! OTW had some fun suggestions.

AΩE is a social and professional engineering sorority. We're international, but fairly new (1983).
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
i wish we HAD alumnae in our area.... the closest chapter to us is in Beaumont....
9 hours away
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You might, Jess. They live everywhere: once you're an initiated active, you'll get your log-on for the website, and you can type in your zip code and get all the collegian and alumna member's contact information within 5,10, or 25 miles of your area... it's a cool tool for soliciting alumna help!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly don't know if it's the norm for a collegiate member to start an alumnae chapter, but if you think you can make it work, go for it. Unless you're saying you want to start one AFTER you graduate.. in which case, this seems to make more sense to me. But what do I know!

Since you're an international organization, there will probably be guidelines as to how to form an alumnae chapter, but don't quote me on that. In my sorority, on National Staff, we have an Alumnae Extension Coordinator. Find out if you have someone holding a position similar to this, and contact them with questions. And try contacting one of the alumnae chapters already in existence in order to ask them how they got started.

I'm actually in the process of starting an alumnae chapter myself. For us (AST, an NPC sorority) our first step is to invite local alumnae to a social event in order to determine who is interested in starting a chapter. If there is enough interest, we create a "Hope Group" and elect officers (President, treasurer, fundraising, collegiate-alumnae liaison.. and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting). After operating as a Hope Group for a while, we would then be eligible to apply to become an alumnae chapter.

The process actually sounds simple here, but there's a lot to it. I'm still doing my homework on it. But however your organization goes about it, it will be a lot of work, especially trying to get alumnae together at once. But if you really want to do this, do your research, ask people for help, and try to get one or two alumnae that you know from your chapter to help you. It will make it that much easier to get started.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I'm a recent AOE Alumna myself and just got back from National Convention where they addressed this very topic! You can start writing bylaws for the Alumnae Chapter but you'll need at least 8 Alumnae to actually form one. However the IEB is encouraging undergrads to work on all the paperwork so that when you graduate it will be ready to go. The person you should contact is Catherine Ross, our ARO (Alumnae Relations Officer) and her contact info is on the national website. Hope this helps!

AOE Love
Allison
Old 08-19-2009, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not familiar with AOE, but I have started an alumnae chapter in the last American City where I lived. The national organization provided me with everything I needed EXCEPT someone to do all the legwork, of which there was a ton. But it was very rewarding and one of the biggest reasons I was sad to move out of the country.

This thread is pretty old, so I'm wondering what came of all of it.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you guys end up having any luck? Nationals is really pushing alumnae chapter formation, which I am very excited about.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

All you lovely AOE ladies need to post on this thread. It's kind of our general thread since we haven't gotten our own GLO board.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AΩEGirl21
Hey Sisters and Friends,

So my chapter got it off the ground by contacting our alumni and asked if anyone was interested. It turned out that a few where so excited that they kinda took over it for me (since I'm still an active). Now they have a good chance of being ready to start next semester!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

good luck with it sister! we're getting our first alumna this semester! hopefully they'll have the same drive as your alumna to start an alumna chapter/club (since most are not staying in the area)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Go to your organization's national website and click under Alumnae to see if there is a chapter in your area. If not, than contact headquarters and express your interest. They should be able to lead you in the proper direction and protocols set by your organization.