GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,562
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, BernadineB
» Online Users: 1,667
2 members and 1,665 guests
AlphaSigSlay, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Staying involved as an Alumnae

Does anyone have any suggestions for staying involved as an Alumnae? I live 30 miles away from the nearest chapter and alumnae association (which wouldn't be a big deal except I also work and have kids so time is limited). I write recs and give financial support but would like to be more involved in a personal way. Thanks for any suggestions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

This was me about three years ago. So this is what I did- join the nearest alumnae association facebook page. Start getting emails about the events. If the one near you is anything like the one near me, they only have events once or twice a month- and none are mandatory. Sometimes they are on a Saturday (like the recent Founders' Day luncheon) or a Sunday (like a football watching party). Maybe you CAN fit one into your schedule. the 45 minute (or whatever) drive might be worth it occasionally.

I also work full time and have 3 kids- but I have discovered that most of my advising is done via e-mail, text message, and phone. I visit the chapter in person maybe three times a year. I know our scholarship adviser has a new child and does ALL of her advising over the phone and email. So you might still be able to help out a collegiate chapter (depending how your advising committee is set up of course).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for staying involved as an Alumnae?
Alumna, unless there's more than one of you -- which, granted, would make involvement, and work and parenting, easier.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Check with your headquarters. My sorority allows for some distance advisors and there are other roles you can play even if you're not in the heart of the action.

And you can also look into starting up an alumnae chapter. I can tell you from first hand experience it is a TON of work, but I really enjoyed doing it.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You can get a list of alumnae in your area to start a closer alumnae association. However, given your personal obligations it doesn't sound like you have the time. Contact the closest chapter and see what they need help with. Maybe you can be a guest speaker at a workshop or assist during recruitment or Jewel Degree.

You can also volunteer to serve on an international committee or serve as an international officer. Update your will serve form with ADPi.

Alternately, check out the alumnae panhellenic in your area and see if you can get involved with that.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks---great ideas! Yes, I wish there were two of me!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I feel the same way. I was a chapter advisor for awhile and then facilitated programs for Phi Sig for a while... when I moved I tried to do some things, but it was hard while getting established in a new area.

The local alumnae chapter is "Northern VA" but tends to do things closer to DC, which is hard for me to get to. Id love to give more time, especially work with a chapter- but there aren't any locally (besides DC!)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelPhiSig View Post
The local alumnae chapter is "Northern VA" but tends to do things closer to DC, which is hard for me to get to. Id love to give more time, especially work with a chapter- but there aren't any locally (besides DC!)
I had the same problem AngelPhiSig! I live in NoVa, 30/1 hour away from DC (depending on traffic) and I really wanted to get involved, especially since I'd recently moved further south of the District.

So, as many have suggested to ADPiEE, I sent emails to local alumnae in my area and we started a new alumnae association. During this time we found out about new colonies being established and two of us now serve as advisors to our newest chapter at JMU (which is almost 2hrs away). And yes, most of the advising can be done via email/phone, but since I personally have extra time (no kids, work from home, etc.) I can spend more time going to chapter meetings and events.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

ASA has a wide variety of volunteer positions, so it isn't hard to find one that fits an alumna's skills, interests, and available time. Advising is just the beginning! Some positions work closely with collegians, some with alumnae, and some with other aspects of running the organization.

Get in touch with your sorority. You might be really surprised what kinds of things (big and small) that you can do for your organization. I know I was very pleasantly surprised!

Almost all of my sorority work is done by phone and e-mail, so it doesn't matter one bit that the closest chapter is several hours away.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for staying involved as an Alumnae? I live 30 miles away from the nearest chapter and alumnae association (which wouldn't be a big deal except I also work and have kids so time is limited). I write recs and give financial support but would like to be more involved in a personal way. Thanks for any suggestions!
I'm very busy with work and my city alumnae chapter tends to meet all the way on the other side of the city. I got involved by showing up to work at a house corporation work weekend for my home chapter. I am going to show up for at least one or two nights of recruitment or a day or two of spirit week. Cleaning vents and making punch is a good way to connect with other alums and with collegians and it's not a huge time commitment.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

We women do so much for others: our family, our employer, our co-workers, our neighbors,etc. When my children were young, I decided that I deserved one day or evening a month to be able to do something exclusively for myself. I chose to get involved in the ZTA alumnae chapter in the town we were living at the time. I didn't make every meeting in a years time, but it was great when it did work out.

One of the most important things I took away from that experience, was that it was rare when a member didn't miss at least one meeting. Everyone understood that "life happens". Do what you can, enjoy it, and don't feel guilty for what you can't do.