GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,557
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, isaclittleoz273
» Online Users: 1,849
2 members and 1,847 guests
g41965

Old 11-10-2002, 11:16 AM
cutiepatootie

ok Pick your jaw up....:)

I am 33 yrs old and i was just initated YESTERDAY into ALpha Phi. I am not sure which one you were looking into but there are MANY and i do mean MANY now that perform alum initiations. I was in college same time and it was very unheardof then, but things change and over time it has been adapted by many fine fine groups...like Alpha Phi( YEAH!) had to throw that out.

I felt the same way about having sisters and being a sister..it is the most wonderful feeling in the world to belong to a great family( fraternally and biologically!)

The person who is the best authority to talk to on this is Cute Pie 2000 she is the DIVA of all DIVAS when it comes to this. If someone has the link to her thread on the indepth facts it would be great to get this printed on here for adrienne to read!

I say all the best to you on your search for your new family of sisters.... it is the greatest feelingof all!

Laura
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2002, 03:49 PM

Congratulations cutiepatootie on being initiated into Alpha Phi!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
Talking

I LOVE hearing about the alum initiaton process

As a collegiate, I don't think I would have felt any negative feelings about having alums initiated here... just plain excitement! One of our advisors here is a "special initiate" as we say... she was not initiated until after her college years

Best of luck to all!

~april
Old 11-10-2002, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Congratulations on your initiation, cutiepatootie! Alpha Phi has gotten a great sister!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

adduncan:

I just stumled across this thread and had to root you on. I think that alumnae initiation is great! I do not know much about it, other than Alpha Phi is one of the sororities to have alumnae initiation. One of my GC sisters, cutiepatootie, was just initiated yesterday, like she said. I think it is awesome how after graduation you can still pursue a sisterhood like the one I am a part of. Best of luck with this now and always.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Alum initiation

Just a thought...someone posted that she had seen alum initiates join sororities even up to age 37....

My mom was just initiated into AOII and she is nearing 60!

I am alum initiate, too. By far the best decision that I have ever made outside of my church!

AOII silver
Old 11-10-2002, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
Re: Alum initiation

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver
Just a thought...someone posted that she had seen alum initiates join sororities even up to age 37....

My mom was just initiated into AOII and she is nearing 60!
wow!! thats amazing!!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:52 PM
cutiepatootie

not to steal your thunder

Not to steal Adduncan's quest for info but i have to say thank you to all of you for your warm wishes on my initiation yesterday... and SATX*APhi i cannot believe i can actually call you sister now... it was cool to see you say that!

Adduncan, i read in one of the post you didn't want to jinx telling which one... and that is perfectly normal...i didnt want to say either fearing i was going to ruin what chance i had! When the time is right you will say!

Continued success on yoru search!

Laura
Old 11-10-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATS!

Laura, you didn't steal a thing!

Congratulations on your initiation! Your story is inspirational! I hope to come back here one day and share mine as well!

Hugs,
Adrienne
Old 11-10-2002, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I'm so excited for you! Whichever group is lucky enough to have you will get a GREAT sister to add to their bond.

I'll add a few more to the list of groups that have alumnae initiations: Phi Mu and Sigma Sigma Sigma both.

Good luck! Wish we had a dozen like you.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I was alumna initiated last month into Gamma Phi Beta and I'm 38! You mentioned you live in Houston? You should take a look at this link:

http://members.aol.com/HouGPhiB/gpbinitiate.html

AND ~ Congrats to Cutiepatootie on your initiation! Yay!
Old 11-12-2002, 04:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: not to steal your thunder

Quote:
Originally posted by cutiepatootie
and SATX*APhi i cannot believe i can actually call you sister now... it was cool to see you say that!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:50 AM
cutiepatootie

FYI....

Just a note to also say When i was initated the other morning , there was another alum initiate who was with me and she was a mother of one of the actives and she was within her 40s. I have to say GO FOR IT! Like Cutiepie said don't let age be a henderance.

These are the groups that i know for sure who do Alum Initiations:

of course ALPHA PHI!!!!!!!!
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Alpha Omricron Pi
Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha X Delta
Alpha Gamma Delta
Phi Sgima sgima

I know that these groups do it, But i dont hear much chatter about it on here from these then i do fromthe above groups:
Phi Mu
Alpha Delta Pi
Tri Delts
Pi Beta Phi

The ones i dont think do it or it has to be a rare rare situation is:
Kappa Delta
Zeta Tau Alpha
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Alpha Epislon Phi

There are some groups in each of the catagories i know i am missing if someone can fill in the gaps for me i would surely appriciate it

Just don't let age or anyting be a hinderence. I had all the same worries and fears as you had and i didn't let it stand in my way of what i wanted all this time. If they don't like you or you don't like them, know you have a a home somewhere and you will find it. if it takes one sorority at a time....JUST DON'T GIVE UP ON YORU DREAMS and say years later..... what if!

Laura
Old 11-12-2002, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Laura, I dont' think I'll ever get tired of reading your posts!

There's nothing like the realization that there *is* more time to be involved with something you've always hoped for.

I'm preparing letters now, and going through my options one-by-one. I have no more doubts that I will find a Greek home of my own.

My husband and sisters-in-law are all behind this as well. They can't share their experiences and knowledge with me, so they're encouraging my own foray into Greek life.

Way to go, Laura!!

Adrienne