GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,531
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Deltatau77
» Online Users: 1,674
1 members and 1,673 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DJMoneyInDaNati
Spring Rush - No House

Hey everyone,

Hope Spring semester/ Winter quarter is going well for everyone.

I'm about to become the new recruitment chairman at Cincinnati for my chapter, and unfortunately for how big of a school we are (37,000) our greek system is about 1.5 - 2.5 percent of the student population, so we have odds against us already. Without a house, it makes things much more difficult.

I was kinda looking for any ideas for Spring Recruitment events that we would be able to have on campus.

Our typical rush schedule is something like this:

Monday - Rush Event
Tuesday - All you Can Eat Wings
Wednesday - Rush event
Thursday - Rush Event
Friday - Invite Dinner and "Closing Ceremonies"

Looking for some suggestions for events, Rush week is the 10th of April, then greek week is the week after.

Thanks everyone!
2009/2010 - Pledge Marshal/ Recruitment Chairman

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our most popular events is at a pool hall. We let everyone mingle and play pool for a little while and then start a pool tournament pairing up an active with a rush guest. Its good because it initiates conversation and gives you something to do with your hands which can usually make up for awkward pauses. I just saw that you wanted on campus events, so if you have a game room on campus I highly recommend this event.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree Pool halls are great! You can mingle really easily, and you can mix up actives with potentials. Bowling does the same, because you can have both actives and potentials on each lane.

A big one for us is sister speed dating, but I'm not sure how much guys would appreciate it compared to girls, but potentials don't move, members do, and you can get to know them fast. Only issue is when the numbers are drastically different (17 members, 4 potentials)

We do a joint rush night with a fraternity each semester, and bowling, or lazer tag are the hot spots. Lazer tag you can't talk much thought :-(
Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If sororities have houses, check with them and see if one would allow y'all use of their house. Un-housed chapters at Kentucky do this (and even some chapters that are housed off campus) and they generally have pretty good results.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DJMoneyInDaNati
Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to check with our on campus pool hall, the Catskeller (they serve alcohol, but obviously it'll be a dry event).

As far as Sororities go, our campus has strict regulations on Fraternities and Sororities pairing up during rush.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.
2009/2010 - Pledge Marshal/ Recruitment Chairman

Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMoneyInDaNati View Post
As far as Sororities go, our campus has strict regulations on Fraternities and Sororities pairing up during rush.
Just a point of clarification. How it works at UK is that in the fall, NPC formal recruitment is over the Friday before schools starts the following Wednesday. IFC rush does not start until that Monday. So at no time is a fraternity and a sorority paired up.

During the spring semester, there isn't a formal NPC recruitment. So my guess is that if an NPC is COBing (open recruitment), they simply do not let a fraternity use their house while they are holding their COB events.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMoneyInDaNati View Post
It wouldn't be a pair up - the sorority would not be present at the house.