GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 778
1 members and 777 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Panhellenic as Alums

I recently heard someone say that interest in Panhellenic Alum groups is decreasing...what is it like in your area? why do you think this happens?

Thanks
DDDMiami
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2004, 01:52 PM

I honestly think it's for the same reason that sororities are having trouble filling advisory board positions - people just don't have the time. Especially if they work and have kids. Too many people are afraid to go to a meeting for fear they'll be made president of the group!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely agree its probably the time thing. A lot of these groups were probably at their strongest during the days when women were less likely to work outside the home. Full time housewifes probably had more time and flexibility for meetings and events.

I recently became aephi's delegate to my local alumnae panhel and I am crossing my fingers that the meetings will be on days that are good for me because I have so many other things on my plate.

I think they could pick up again when women who are out in the work force realize the networking benefits from staying involved with alumnae organizations.

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 11-09-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Another thought

I'm an active member of my sorority alumnae chapter, but I have never attended a panhellenic alumnae event for the group in my area. I suspect that although time is part of the issue, poor programming is the other part.

First, I can't even tell you what social things the area panhel alum group here does. Fundraising events (charity or otherwise) always seem to be "money collections" (e.g. sell theater tickets for panhel, buy chocolates for panhel, etc). From my perspective, all panhel does is ask for money. And I would want to participate in that because???

Second, without a social componant to the organization it is very hard to form any meaningful relationships out of it. My alumnae group for Kappa has sisters from all over the country - and we all had different college experiences. Some of us are from smaller chapters, some from larger, some from southern schools, some from northern schools, etc. However, having "Kappa" in common is enough to break the ice and give a foundation to work with. Plus, we meet in a variety of interest groups so this provides something else to talk about. As someone who went to a smaller technical school up north, I struggle to think what tenuous connection I could make to someone who was in another organization from one of the large southern state schools.

Which leads me back to programming... that *could* be overcome by establishing good groups or events - interest groups like "mothers groups" or "needlepoint groups" or "reading groups" or whatever. But from what I can tell, none of those things exist. Hence, panhellenic alumnae groups levels of participation are dwindling.

Just a thought from my perspective.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:51 PM

Re: Another thought

Quote:
Originally posted by paulaKKG

First, I can't even tell you what social things the area panhel alum group here does. Fundraising events (charity or otherwise) always seem to be "money collections" (e.g. sell theater tickets for panhel, buy chocolates for panhel, etc). From my perspective, all panhel does is ask for money. And I would want to participate in that because???

Second, without a social componant to the organization it is very hard to form any meaningful relationships out of it. Which leads me back to programming... that *could* be overcome by establishing good groups or events - interest groups like "mothers groups" or "needlepoint groups" or "reading groups" or whatever. But from what I can tell, none of those things exist. Hence, panhellenic alumnae groups levels of participation are dwindling.

Just a thought from my perspective.
First the money that is collected bu fundraising atleast speaking on behalf of the Louisville,KY area Alumnae Panhellenic goes to fund scholarships for area greek women to either help pay for their current education or to help them if they have plans for graduate school, etc.

The social component that you speka of however I think is probably the number one problem in most panhellenics. The group in Louisville basically has one joint thing a year which is not only a fundraiser but scholarship presentation/luncheon where all area alumnae greek women may attend.

Currently my town of Lexington does not have an alumnae panhellenic. If by the time I'm done with nursing school if there still isnt one, I plan to start one, and not only have delegates of each alumnae chapter to help fundraising for scholarships for area greek women, but i would like to have social events where all women of all groups may attend, and recommendation parties for ladies in the area that are planning to go through recruitment. I think a big service project a year is good too. I dont think the Louisville one does service, just fundraising for scholarships.

This is just my personal experiences though with an Alumnae Panhellenic. I think others elsewhere probably do everything I listed---in addition to being better organized, etc.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of my sorority Alumnae chapter and also the Panhel rep. for our area's Panhel Alumnae. It is awesome meeting women from other sororities; however, with the exception of maybe two other women I am probably over 40 years younger than most of the women in my group! Because most of them are retired, our meetings are not conducive to other women who work or attend school. Our meetings are in the middle of the day and last about 3-4 hours. Even though I am in grad school, I find it hard to make the meetings (they are located at different hosts homes). I also found the social activities and service projects not interesting to all age groups. However, I will do whatever necessary to raise money for Panhel scholarships. My mother was a recipient of a Panhel scholarship that allowed her to attend college. To me, the scholarship and networking are the most important aspects. But it does seem to be very cliquey (especially since I do not have much in common with the other women; however a few have taken me under their wing). Just my two cents!

Last edited by dancingqueenzta; 01-09-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dancingqueenzta
I. Our meetings are in the middle of the day and last about 3-4 hours.
3-4 hours!!!??? Why??

I am a delegate to my alumnae panhellenic and our meetings are the first Thursday of the month at 9:45AM. It is only because I work part-time and have a variable schedule that I can attend these meetings. Our meetings last about an hour once they get going.

We have a miz of older women and a few younger women. I once had someone ask me (a younger woman) why more young women weren't involved....and I thought, "Your meetings are on Thursdays at 9:45 in the morning! We're all at work!!!"

In any case, I genuinely believe we're not doing enough to educate our collegiate memebrs about NPC--period. Not just about alumnae panhellenics but about what NPC is. As an example, I hear collegians and alumnae, some of who are involved with NPC, refer to NPC as a governing body--it's not a governing body but a conference of sororities that agrees to operate by agreements (not policies or other government tools.) But since NPC does little to educate our membership about our organization, few would see the difference.

**Steps off soapbox** We need to educate and evaluate our relevance to today's sorority membership.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
3-4 hours!!!??? Why??
I'm guessing this is a luncheon plus a meeting plus general gabbing.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a ZTA alumna and have been involved with our area Alumnae PH for a number of years. We meet once per month in the evening as most of our delegates work. About half of NPC groups are represented. Over the past few years, we have had very poor attendance at our annual luncheon so last year we decided to change tacts. We are now working on a city wide Greek philanthropic project; we will be supporting the Light the Night program which is sponsored by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and is new in our city. We became concerned by the amount of negative publicity that Greeks receive and decided to concentrate on getting as much positive PR as we possibly can. The Light the Night walk will be almost completely manned by PH members and we are opening it up to collegiates as well as fraternity alumni and collegiates. We feel that we can make a difference in the community as well as make a difference in the way the community perceives Greeks.

I thoroughly enjoy my association with the other representatives. Some of them have become very good friends. Except for the letters we wear, we are all pretty much the same.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
In any case, I genuinely believe we're not doing enough to educate our collegiate memebrs about NPC--period. Not just about alumnae panhellenics but about what NPC is. As an example, I hear collegians and alumnae, some of who are involved with NPC, refer to NPC as a governing body--it's not a governing body but a conference of sororities that agrees to operate by agreements (not policies or other government tools.) But since NPC does little to educate our membership about our organization, few would see the difference.

**Steps off soapbox** We need to educate and evaluate our relevance to today's sorority membership.
AMEN, PANHELLENIC SISTER!!!

I am one of the Panhel dorks, I'll admit it. I served on Panhel as a undergrad and LOVED it. I DRILLED my chapter on Panhel regulations and history because it was imporatant to me and it should be important to every member of a sorority. Imagine my shock and dissapointment when I went back (one semester after I graduated) and a newly inducted member said, "You were Panhellenic Officer, right? I remember you from the composite. I always wanted to ask someone, but what is a Panhellic Officer and what does she do?" I was floored.

When I'm rich and famous and have enough money that I don't have to work, I would love to be involved nationally with NPC.

Heather17- lets lead a revolution to educate and promote NPC!!

//also steps off soapbox//
Old 01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Alumnae Panhellenic is awesome. I am not a rep but work in Greek Affairs. The Alumnae give scholarships, raise money for their philanthropy and host a Sorority Informational Tea (Soror-i-Tea). It is for area high school seniors to learn about sororities, possibly get recs, and have contact with the college panhellenics to get applications and info. I got in touch with the president last week and they can hardly wait until June for the Tea. They make/bring food and donate door prizes. It is a great way for girls to see the continuity of sorority life from collegiate to alumna.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering this is DFW.. I am pretty sure there *has* to be some kind of Alumnae Panhellenic *somewhere around here*.. but I am honestly not aware of one?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about other areas, but could it be possible that some recent alumnae aren't aware that the alumnae panhellenic in a city they may have moved to exists at all?

I've spoken with tons of sorority alumnae who have never heard of TAAP (Toronto Area Alumnae Panhellenic). I also have a feeling that some aren't aware that it is for ALL sorority alumnae and not only those from the University of Toronto.

I (NeonPi was there too) was at a meeting for chapter alumnae exec/reps about two weeks ago and we talked about how the alum panhel should help solve this issue.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Columbus Ohio AP is in the middle of a re-do.

In addition to their monthly meetings (which are in the evenings) they've decided to add a social component to the mix. The member groups can use those as part of our programming. Some things they have or will do include:

Sorority House Tour - they are doing four a year. And even if you didn't go the local college, you get an idea of what the chapter you support is up against from a house setting.

Wine Tasting - self explanitory

Comedy Club

Monte Carlo Night - held at a large place, with catered food.

Cultural Events

Vounteer at Food Bank

Assisted with Bid Matching

There are others in the works. But this is a great way to share our Greek Heritage with other women.

As President of our Local Alumnae Chapter I get excited to share bonds of friendship with women who share my same Ritual. The friendships to be made and the networking available is endless among our group. Now extend that to our local Panhellenic Group. About the only difference we have is our Ritual. And while that is so sacred to each of us, we have a great deal to share with our Panhellenic Sisters! My very best friend is from a different GLO. It didn't change our friendship because of our Ritual difference. Instead, we got to share different open traditions that each of our chapters did and opened each other's eyes to new things. Let your Alumnae Panhellenic do that for you as well!