GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 2,121
1 members and 2,120 guests
zathonyjunioro9

Old 04-02-2024, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
KD is closing their chapter at John Carroll University at the end of this spring semester. Closure appears to be due membership declines.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
KD is closing their chapter at John Carroll University at the end of this spring semester. Closure appears to be due membership declines.
And this occurred:

https://carrollnews.org/232400/campu...ity-on-campus/

FYI: In the early 2000's, all the JCU locals were required to affiliate with national organizations. I was involved with the JCU "local" affiliating with my organization. Our chapter closed a few years later due to RM issues. As I recall, there were 5 fraternities on campus, now they are down to one.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Alpha Epsilon will be colonizing at Sacred Heart University in Fall 2024. https://www.instagram.com/p/C5TZ3b8O5YE/?img_index=2

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-03-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
And this occurred:

https://carrollnews.org/232400/campu...ity-on-campus/

FYI: In the early 2000's, all the JCU locals were required to affiliate with national organizations. I was involved with the JCU "local" affiliating with my organization. Our chapter closed a few years later due to RM issues. As I recall, there were 5 fraternities on campus, now they are down to one.
I've said before and will say it again, I don't think local to national conversions work in the long run if the groups are forced into it.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I've said before and will say it again, I don't think local to national conversions work in the long run if the groups are forced into it.
Funny enough Iona University was thinking of nationalizing all the orgs (there is 1 NPC sorority and 2 IFC fraternities on campus, with 4 local sororities and 1 local fraternity.) but the alumni and members of the locals put up such a fight that it didn't happen. I've also seen some schools that'll have separate councils for the locals and national organizations like Montclair State has.

Sacred Heart University is one case where all the locals went national and it ended up going extremely well for the school, with the overall greek membership going up to a point that they've had multiple expansions for both in the last couple of year.

Since 1888

Last edited by Cookiez17; 04-03-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It worked well at Shorter with one group, and the other one finally gave in years later--I guess their membership had really shrunk because the kids saw the advantages of a national organization.

It hasn't worked so well at other colleges. We dumped our group at one because the old group continued to haze badly. Everyone had been so excited to get them because they were the oldest local. Another sorority almost dumped their chapter but I think they hung in there.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It worked well at Shorter with one group, and the other one finally gave in years later--I guess their membership had really shrunk because the kids saw the advantages of a national organization.

It hasn't worked so well at other colleges. We dumped our group at one because the old group continued to haze badly. Everyone had been so excited to get them because they were the oldest local. Another sorority almost dumped their chapter but I think they hung in there.
This is what happened to our JCU chapter, they refused to give up "traditions" (AKA Hazing) they did as a local chapter.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi will be colonizing at the University of Utah in Fall 2024.

https://deltachi.org/utah-expansion/

Since 1888

Old 04-13-2024, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi will also be colonizing at Purdue University in the fall.

https://deltachi.org/delta-chi-annou...ons-at-purdue/

Since 1888

Old 04-14-2024, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Grand Valley State University colony was installed today. A big welcome to our Zeta Sigma chapter brothers.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

UC Santa Barbara is currently open to fraternity and sorority establishment proposals with the exception of National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) organizations.

https://seal.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternity-...shment-process
Old 04-15-2024, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta is also closing their chapter at Stephens College at the end of the semester. Now there will be no NPC sororities on campus.

To Bind. To Strive. To Aid.

Missouri S&T
Old 04-16-2024, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi will be returning to Ball State University in the fall.

https://deltachi.org/delta-chi-annou...-at-ballstate/

They have quite a few expansions planned, I wish them the best of luck in each!

Since 1888

Old 04-18-2024, 08:15 AM

Sigma Chi recently reinstalled the chapter at University of Pittsburgh(PA). Congratulations to the new members.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
UC Santa Barbara is currently open to fraternity and sorority establishment proposals with the exception of National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) organizations.

https://seal.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternity-...shment-process
I read the asterisked statement in the original post from UCSB which was at the bottom of the detailed post about expansion. It says that NPC expansion is pursuant to NPC regulations, not what the Greek Life office is requiring. I am interpreting this to indicate that the campus IS open for another NPC chapter. Paging TLLK for her knowledge about the campus. Thanks(Go Gauchos!).

Personally I’d like to see Chi Omega and Tri Delta return. I have great memories of Chi O as their facility was right next door to ours on El Colegio. So many fun things happened during recruitment. I think Tri Delta may have used that same facility; they were after my time on campus.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity