GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,134
2 members and 2,132 guests
fmanning

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

My older daughter was "in the backroom" during rush. She loved it. Said it was so much more relaxing and she got to watch all the action but still felt involved. Enjoy your time in the backroom and make some kindred spirits with the other girls!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
...And generally, fraternity gentlemen stay away from sorority threads (and vice versa) because there are plenty of qualified people here that can answer an OPs question that have actually experienced what they're talking about.
But then there are the fraternity men who are NOT gentlemen...

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
But then there are the fraternity men who are NOT gentlemen...
That is the truest of statements.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the back room is where the REAL action is at. I rarely let anyone in there unless we absolutely trusted them.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I preferred being behind the scenes too - yummy food, snark, not having to keep my heels on all day and in general hanging out with people I liked rather than strangers. An introvert's dreams lol.
Yes to the introvert's dream assignment!

My favorite rushes were the ones I was a phase chair (directing things and not having to rush) and president (one of the chief floaters and on rush committee).

The other benefit is being a LOT less tired at the end of the day.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My first time working in the backroom happened as an adviser. It was SO MUCH FUN!!! I loved being out on the floor as a collegian, but working in the backroom was simply awesome, fun, and made for some great memories.

I think collegians who are placed in the backroom are assigned for purely political or arbitrary reasons. Or no reason at all. But the job is still important and you have the 4-1-1 on how your chapter is doing in recruitment whereas the rest of your friends are going to be clueless, not to mention worn out and hoarse from asking, "So what's your major?" all day long.

Have fun with it! It's an essential role and it's also really important for you to do it well because your chapter's numbers depend on it if there is a mistake! So embrace your part-- it may develop into a leadership role during a future recruitment because of the new skills you have learned.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
4 years in college and I only had to rush for 1 round. I HATED rushing when I was in college. My sophomore year I got to drive one of our consultants to the airport over an hour away. It was such a relief to not have to be on the floor. And I was in the skit so I didn't have to rush that day either. Junior year I was a camp counselor and missed rush week. And senior year I was the assistant rush secretary so I got to spend pre-recruitment and recruitment running errands to places like copy place, opening and filing endless rec letter, and dealing with all kinds of data. And during parties I got to spend the day taking and reporting attendance to Panhellenic. The worst part was that the chapter room was in the basement and the office was upstairs on the THIRD FLOOR! It was 50 steps down and 50 steps back up. No elevator. But I did get to sit down during parties and the a/c was so cold! Such a relief in Alabama in August! I've been back several times as an Alumna volunteer and that is so much fun too. I love helping out the moms in the kitchen. Setting up ice water and snacks for PNMs and/or Sisters. A successful recruitment is truly a team effort. EVERY job is important!