GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,235
2 members and 2,233 guests
FrankJScott, Tridentia

Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Rushing as a soph, or a second semester soph...

So I've gone through rush as a freshman. I was very overwhelmed by it and as many girl I was upset that I did not get called back to my top 3. But the other 4 houses that called me back I was not feeling a connection with the girls. I stopped mid day while visiting the houses which called me back. I felt so stupid not going through with it, but it felt right at the time.

I was called back to a specific house a SK house which said they really liked me and their president even came to speak with me personally. I liked that so much but I didnt know if it was right for me.

Now as I've made friends all of which are in a sorority I know the comfort of girls to fall back on. Its really neat and I feel like I made a bad decision not rushing for SK. I'm a soph now and I've had a few problems at home that have weighed on my grades. I tried my best but have fallen just below the minimum GPA to rush this fall. I am retaking a class, and have got my focus on my grades. I dont want a death in my family to bring down my chances to rush. (my gpa died last year) it was really a difficult time and I tried my level best to keep my grades up.

But my question is, should I fill out a rush form saying I have a 2.46 and go through with it. Bc im sure i wont be able to start rushing if I dont have a 2.5, heck i dont think sisters would even pref round me by seeing that i am a soph with not even a minimum gpa.

I have friends in SK as well and I absolutely love the girls. I just dont know what to do. Help me girlies!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

A sophomore AND a 2.46 GPA? I wouldn't chance it. Also, assuming you're talking about formal recruitment, you can't just "rush for SK". You have to visit ALL of the chapters.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

We can't speak for the sororities on your campus, or for any chapter, regarding membership selection. GPA is part of that process. Your GPA possibly/probably places you in the "grade risk" category, which is not a good place to be for recruitment.

That said, I would strongly recommend that you focus on improving your grades; you're in college to learn and complete a degree. That is probably not what you want to hear, but it is my opinion, which I predict will be shared by others reading your post.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-17-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

You are not eligible for membership if your GPA falls under the minimum required by Panhellenic. The sororities likely have their own GPA requirements that are above this minimum.

In my opinion, your GPA is too low.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!! I know I should get my grades up first!!! And I was speaking for SK because I was mostly interested in them bc of the great girls I met. I have gone through rush and know I need to visit every house on campus. But that will give me a better feel for other houses as well
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Get your grades up this semester and see if any chapters are holding informal recruitment events in the spring. You may have a better chance at membership that way.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
stargazertechie

I agree- get your grades up, and go into spring recruitment with an open mind to the chapters you visit. You're a GPA risk right now. Focus on the academics, and continue to make friends both in and out of sororities.