GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 1,720
2 members and 1,718 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Need Quick Help about Dinner Invite!

My freshman year I ended up pledging for a very small, professional sorority, specifically for my major, but the time commitment was far too overwhelming for me and other pledges as health science majors. (in fact it went from a 7 to 2 people pledge class).

I made the decision after that, that Greek life would most likely be too intense for me.

However, I ended up going with a friend to a 1 rush event for a similar, co-ed professional fraternity just to accompany her. I assumed because I just went to 1 they would forget about me.

But (without thinking) I ended up going to one of their parties and they gave me an invite to their private dinner.

But from what I remember, these dinners for people who are very interested and are the time when the members contemplate bids.

So would it be rude to not go? Or should I be tactful and show up and then tell them later on that I'm not interested?

This may be a stupid question, but I need to RSVP by tonight. What is the most polite thing to do?

EDIT: Also, if I decided not to go does this mean it would be really taboo/awkward if I ever went to one of their parties again?

Last edited by sj05; 09-16-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have no intention of acccepting a bid, you should decline the invitation. It's not fair to lead them on.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Call them and politely decline and let them know that despite enjoying their company, you are too busy to consider joining.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj05 View Post
EDIT: Also, if I decided not to go does this mean it would be really taboo/awkward if I ever went to one of their parties again?
If by "party" you mean a social event that includes all sorts of people (including those who are not eligible/have no intention of pledging) then no, it shouldn't be.

But if by "party" you mean an event held strictly for the purpose of meeting possible new members....yes, you are correct in that you should never go to another one of those ever.