GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,306
2 members and 2,304 guests
FSUZeta, znathanhulzeo24

Old 04-02-2024, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation NC State Poe Hall and Elevated Number of Cancer Cases

Anyone here go to NC State, or know anyone who does…check this out:

“Since the PCBs discovery, successive reports by Raleigh news station WRAL have painted a bleaker and bleaker picture of the possible harm to those who worked in Poe Hall, which finished construction in 1971. Roughly two weeks ago, it posted an article saying it had “independently confirmed 40 cases of cancer in people who spent time at Poe Hall, including several deaths.” Not long after, it reported it had “independently received 101 reports of cancer and more than a dozen other reports of serious illness in people who spent time in Poe Hall.”

Source:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ores-occupants
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-03-2024, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Several years ago I remember following a story about a rare (and deadly) eye cancer that was found in dozens of people in Alabama and I think North Carolina. An Alabama woman who had been diagnosed with it was connected by someone in her network to another woman who had also been diagnosed with it. Both had attended Auburn University.

When the first woman mentioned to her doctor that she knew someone else who was also fighting the same cancer, her doctor was absolutely astonished because of how rare it was - literally one in a million.

The two women eventually learned of a third woman who also had that cancer. The third woman discovered she was in the same sorority at Auburn as one of the first two women, although a few years apart.

The three women decided to start a Facebook page to connect with others who had been diagnosed with that type of cancer to compare notes and offer support. Several more people who had all attended Auburn started coming out of the woodwork reporting that they too had been diagnosed with that extremely rare cancer. There was also another cluster in a town somewhere in North Carolina that appeared to be unrelated to the Auburn cluster.

The last I heard, researchers were looking into it but weren't able to pin it down to a specific building, activity, or organization at Auburn that the patients all had in common. It was just that they had all attended Auburn at some point over like a three-decade span.

Unfortunately I also remember hearing that one of the three original women had succumbed to the cancer.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, that's right! I thought that they had lived in the same freshman dorm, though.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one article: OCULAR MELANOMA MYSTERY

And there's a Facebook page: Auburn Ocular Melanoma Page

Rightly or wrongly, I am curious about which sorority was involved with three of the sufferers.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Rightly or wrongly, I am curious about which sorority was involved with three of the sufferers.
I want to say Alpha Gamma Delta, but don't hold me to that.

Regardless, it's very disturbing what's going on. There's something very wrong in the SE part of the country to have that many cases of such a rare cancer popping up.