GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 1,146
1 members and 1,145 guests
femiwo5045

Old 09-07-2003, 05:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Calling ALL peoples! I need YOUR help! Forming Alumni Association

Hello! Just a small bit of background first... As some of you may or may not know, I am a member of a relatively new and quickly growing sorority at NYU. We have always been, and continue to attract a very diverse group of girls, in terms of majors, interests, ethnicity, and even nationality and the languages we speak(most of my sisters are bilingual, or TRIlingual!). We also regulate ourselves very tightly as a local organization, especially regarding hazing. Our sorority is very balanced between social, academic, and phlanthropic ideals and activities. Philanthropy is a large part of what we do, and we go far beyond the University's requirements every year.

What are we missing? Our alumni association! We have always had very high alumni involvement, and as an undergrad I was in constant contact with many of them. However, an official alumni chapter has never been put into place. The alumni felt that they wanted to wait until there was a large enough group of graduates to ensure that enough people would still be in the area to work together and form a large base for the association.

Now, that time has come(and I would say is overdue!), and I will be part of forming this essential part of our organization. I was hoping that people from all orgs could give me an idea of how your alumni chapters are structured and run, and the different roles that the alumni association(or your national headquarters) takes. I would especially like to hear from members of NPHC groups, because it seems to me that your organizations are structured in a way that promotes very high alumni involvement. But I would really like to hear from everyone! We are starting from scratch, so even the really obvious "duh" suggestions are helpful!

Here are some of the main points that II think are important(some are obvious but I'll list them anyway):

-The alumni assoc. should function as a source of guidance and enforcement of policies such as risk management issues.

-It should be a source of aid for the undergrad chapter, i.e. helping with recruitment when needed, and raising money

-The alumni assoc. should be the driving force in expansion efforts, i.e. colonizing at other schools

-The alumni chapter should function much in the same was as the undergrad, i.e. conduct meetings, hold events(especially philanthropy), and also interact with the undergrad chapter whenever possible.

-An alumni/graduate initiation policy is important. We really want to continue the high alumni involvement we've had, and make it even more an inherent part of our org. NYU prohibits recruiting non-undergrads, but the alumni chapter is not bound by those rules. This is a very important point for us, I would love to hear some pointers on how this aspect of the org. should be structured.

Hopefully I'm making some sense, if I sound incoherent anywheres, let me know! And now, my good friends, I implore you to bestow upon me your experience, your wisdom, your infinite knowledge! And fraternity peoples too, don't be shy, if you have some suggestions, make 'em!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2003, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no experience with this, but I want to post my best wishes to you and your fellow alums. You sound like you've really got your thoughts and goals in order (quite articulate, by the way), and I feel confident that you will make this happen for your organization.

Since I do have some experience with starting things from scratch, I have a little general advice. Do not let anything discourage you! Starting anything from nothing can be stressful. You may come in contact with people who are either apathetic or completely unsupportive. Ignore them! You don't need large numbers to make a group like this function well.

Also, stay organized, and don't let anyone fall through the cracks. People like to feel appreciated and needed, so if you receive any support at all (even the smallest things), make your gratitude abundantly evident. If someone contacts you, respond immediately. Nothing turns someone off as quickly as having to wait!

Good luck! I'm excited for you and your sorority.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This sounds really exciting, Cloud9!

Here are some things to think about:

** Do you want to be known as an Alumnae Chapter or as an Alumnae Association? To me, an association functions a bit differently...it sounds like you want a chapter -- a body that can initiate members and has a voice/vote on the national level. (Whenever you all become national, if that is a goal.)

**The Alumnae Chapter should strive to function as an independent entity that believes in the same ideals as the undergraduate chapter, but for women with slightly different goals and priorities. Now, I'm not saying that the alumnae chapter should divorce itself from the undergrads completely...not at all. I am saying that it should endeavor to live the principles of the organization without infringing on the freedom and creativity of the undergrads. Basically, help when asked for help; advise when advice is solicited, but otherwise, do your thing the best way you know how.

** Remember that you will be a single alumnae association striving to meet the needs of all types of women. You will have to have programs that relate to the single, twenty-something age group as well as the married with children age group.

** Consider meeting times....weekday evening or saturday morning/afternoon?

That's all I can think of off the top.....you have a really really wonderful opportunity on your hands!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This may go without saying, but here's a few things to think about:

1. Alumni Database -- Someone needs to be responsible for keeping all alum name, address, phone, and email changes. If you're going to raise money, keep a running total of who donated what for recognition. I would also suggest denoting pledge class, or some other means of clumping the data together in groups (I do this for my Chapter Association -- it's a big task)

2. Alumni newsletter -- whether you do this by email or paper trail, you ought to have a set time where you contact as many alum as possible with an organized set of news/requests,info that they might want. Our most popular section is the "Alumnae News" section, where people just send updates about what's going on in their lives. It helps to keep the alums a little more connected.

3. Collegiate Correspondence -- you actually might want one person in charge of this t0keep contact with the collegiate as much as possible, to make sure the alums are where they are needed (and not in the way!) It's really a scheduling issue.
-
Old 09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses so far, it's very helpful and encouraging!

I have another question...it may be a bit of a side track---how can we encourage the undergrads to solicit money from the alumni? We're all working and actually have money to donate for once in our lives, but it's like they're embarrassed to ask for it! And having only just crossed to the alumni side, I must admit that I was also a bit squeamish about asking for help from the alumni. Is there any way that we could "officially" let them know that it's ok to ask?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9
Thanks for the responses so far, it's very helpful and encouraging!

I have another question...it may be a bit of a side track---how can we encourage the undergrads to solicit money from the alumni? We're all working and actually have money to donate for once in our lives, but it's like they're embarrassed to ask for it! And having only just crossed to the alumni side, I must admit that I was also a bit squeamish about asking for help from the alumni. Is there any way that we could "officially" let them know that it's ok to ask?
Oh my gosh! Every chapter should be so lucky as to have this problem!

Maybe you could send them flowers for rush from the XYZ alumnae association, saying "Good luck and please let us know if you need anything!" or email the alum chair asking her if the chapter has a "Wish List" of items they would like. Other ideas are an annual scholarship (maybe for the new member with the highest grades) or sending money on Founder's Day. Once they get the idea that you are willing, I think that they'll be happy to ask!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Find out if there's something they need (furniture, etc) that they can't afford and just raise the money for them from the alums (or some of it).

And yes, most alumnae will give money all you have to do is ask.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Cloud 9 if you have money to donate to the chapter, just send them a check. I am sure that they will appreciate it. Encourage your fellow alumnae to do so as well.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

"IF" you have a chapter house or a place that you rent for one, furniture might be nice!

Money to have New Associates pins made if you have those. Usually once the mold is made, that is the biggest expense, then the pins are not taht expensive.

But, Making a Scholarship fund where it will help your Sisters while in school might even be better to help defray some of the costs.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-10-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zonaspidey
If you're going to ask alumni/ae for money, make sure you know what to do with the money. Also, make sure it's for something necessary, such as capital improvements, a scholarship fund or annual alumni communications.

It's also important to understand that you can ask your alumni for money too often. Asking for $25 or $100 for matters that may not help form solid futures may just turn some alumni/ae away.

Organizations, particularly fraternities, will need to raise significant funds every 20 years or so. That said, proper planning is key. Create a maintenance reserve fund rather than wait til the need is so urgent that you're forced to band-aid the facility, etc. Create a scholarship fund to help members who're faced with financial restrictions or to use for recruitment purposes.

Know your needs, know your alumni/ae and plan your future. You'll be in good shape to ask for money.

Pete