GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,323
1 members and 1,322 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Rain during Recruitment

I will be participating in Fall Recruitment at my college. The sorority houses are pretty spread out and so we walk from house to house. Apparently there is a 60% chance of it raining. What should I do to prepare to walk in the rain? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Bring your umbrella. You can also wear a different pair of shoes and carry your "party" shoes with you, then change into them before the party. Rho chis are used to holding bags, purses, etc outside for the pnms while they are at the party.

Last edited by gee_ess; 08-08-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling!!!! where - wear!!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

An umbrella is a must! I think it would be cute to wear some rainboots but they might be too hefty/large to carry around in your bag...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 PM

These are complete no-brainers but you never know:

*Please don't forget your umbrella. Don't be one of those girls who thinks you're "too cute" to carry one. You'll get soaked and show up to the houses looking like you just survived a hurricane and you won't be happy.

*If you are incapable of walking in heels in rain, wear different shoes for walking and change when you get to the houses.

*Make sure that none of your clothing has the potential to become transparent when wet. If it might, make sure you don't get wet, lol.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

It's good to hear that we won't have to take our wet umbrellas into the houses. Thank you for all the tips!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Also I just want to add, try not to stress about the rain. Bring an umbrella and maybe an extra hair-tie and a small bottle of hairspray (if your hair starts to frizz.... I know mine did).
Old 08-08-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh! It didn't rain when I went through recruitment, but it did one of the years that I was an active. Most houses, including ours, had no a/c and we were only permitted to keep the doors open during the parties (not between).

There were about 150 girls on the first floor at one time, and 90 degrees with 100% humidity. Steambath inside and out! The only Godsend was that this was the 80s, with 80s hairstyles. Frizz was in whether you wanted it or not.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 PM

If you straighten your hair and it goes funky the minute it smells a drop of rain...experiment (before rush) with some other hairstyles that can take the weather a little better. Better to stay curly and look relatively, well, kempt than go nuts with the flat iron only to have it go to pot the minute you step outside. (This is a good plan whether you're rushing or not.)
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What 33girl said is so so true. My hair will frizz out with the slightest bit of humidity no matter how many anti-frizz products I put in it or how many times I straighten the same strand of hair. I usually "scrunch" my hair on rainy/hot days. (If you don't know what this is, you basically get out of the shower with wet hair - not soaking, but wet enough - and put in some moose/curl gel in and basically curl with your hands. It works well if you have even the slightest big of curl in your hair, just as long as your hair isn't naturally pin-straight). I'd reccomend scrunching your hair on the rainy days!

Good luck!

ETA: I didn't really do a good job describing how to scrunch your hair because it's rather hard to explain over the Internet, but this is a pretty good step-by-step guide. The way I do it is closest to the 2nd method, but try it out before hand and see what works best for you.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."

Last edited by court4short; 08-08-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My hair actually doesn't get too frizzy. It's thick and long, so it does pretty well, but I'm sure the advice will help many others! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
These are complete no-brainers but you never know
This.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

*Please don't forget your umbrella. Don't be one of those girls who thinks you're "too cute" to carry one. You'll get soaked and show up to the houses looking like you just survived a hurricane and you won't be happy.

1st day of recruitment I didn't have an umbrella because I didn't think it was going to rain (It was Oregon in the fall, um, duh it's going to rain!) and I poured between the second to last house and the last house. I was the last one called in. Needless to say it was an awkward conversation with the girl because I soaked and shivering. UMBRELLAS ARE A MUST!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Waterproof mascara is always a good idea during Recruitment, whether for rain, being hot & sweaty, or tears (often during Pref). Nobody wants to look like a raccoon.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thread hijack -

A few years back,a MONSOON started in the middle of one of the rounds. The pnms were all lined up at the end of the sidewalk, standing parallel to the busy street that runs on sorority row. There were still 5 - 10 minutes before the party was allowed to start. Plenty of the girls had umbrellas, but they were only helping a little. As the rush advisor, I poked my head out and asked that the pnms be allowed to huddle on our porch. (this seemed like such a no brainer!) There are so very many strict no contact rules on our campus that this offer had to be radioed back to Greek Life, discussed, etc before the answer came back: no. In the meantime, the rain fell in buckets and every time a car drove by, the water in the streets would spray (and I am talking Old Faithful geyser spray) up on the girls waiting on the sidewalk! It was so terrible! Our rush chair ran to the kitchen and passed out paper towels to each active just before the party started. The pnms arrived literally wringing wet,shivering, humiliated, etc. But they were thrilled to get their hands on those paper towels!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

avoid wearing flip flips from house to house if the ground is muddy! they tend to kick up drops of mud onto the backs of your legs/back of your outfit.