GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,352
1 members and 1,351 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 06-20-2004, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Life Book ?

I heard there was going to be a book coming out this year with short stories about greek life, the good and the bad, does anyone know what the books title is or when its going to come out ?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like that book called "Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities" or something to that effect. Just do a search and you'll find about 999999 threads on it.

Unfortunately, a lot of that book is fabrication. Not a good thing to base your decision to go greek on.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-20-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ABergman
I heard there was going to be a book coming out this year with short stories about greek life, the good and the bad, does anyone know what the books title is or when its going to come out ?

Thanks
Hi Abergman,

Welcome to GreekChat. I believe the information ktsnake gave - re the recent book "Pledged" written by Ms Alexandra Robbins, was not what you were referring to.
From your description, I think I know what you were asking about. There are a number of books on Greek Life etc.: Inspiration for Greeks, Secret Sisters, The Divine Nine (the Lawrence C. Ross, Jr one) book etc.

Anyway, the book called "Inspiration for Greeks" ($1.00 of every book sold donated to The Association of Fraternity Advisors) is a short true stories compendium from fraternity or sorority members. The good and the bad. The current edition ALSO refers to a future 'Inspiration for Greeks II'. Both that title and the one I mention below in trying to sweep away myths, were to strive to portray a balanced view. As, in greek life just as in college life there can be negatives as well as positives! I don't know if 'Inspiration for Greeks II' is published yet.

Also, there was a news item in March 04 on a Fraternal News mailing list, about a law student who was collecting stories for a (different) book (not Inspiration For Greeks II).

I'm willing to bet that what you're posting about is:[list=a][*]Inspiration For Greeks II[*]The other title, the one that law student was collating stories for.[/list=a] Both fit your description (the good and the bad etc). I will get back to you hopefully tomorrow about availability on both titles, to see whether they're being released yet; and what the name of the second one is.

I hope that helps some.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information.

Will keep an eye out for them.

Just a side note.

I got two books off of ebay!

1. How did The Ketchup get on the ceilling- by House Mother from LXA UNS.

2. Goat, A pledges rememberences of KS at, I think Aurburn or Clemson.. Damn poor Book!

I am now passing these books around the LXA world for Brothers to read, Sign, and place Thier Chapter Designations on The insde.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-20-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

book

OneTime ---

The Fraternal news one is the one I was talking about, I cant find the email that it was in and I was wondering if you knew the name of it. Also thanks for the other books that are out there, I wasn't really looking for the sorority ones but more the fraternity ones. Thanks !
Old 06-25-2004, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Following some research:

The book about which you were talking has the working title of "Legend of the Chapter House", you can learn [a little] more about it http://www.legendofbooks.com/editor.html. The editor is one Eric Koester, presently a law student at GWU and president of his Student Bar Assoc.

Publication was intended for late [fall] 2004 or early 2005.
However
, it appears he has no publisher as yet so the book may not materialise. The deadline was April 30th for submissions (was then changed to May 15th).

Well, those are the author and title details, of the book originally mentioned on the mailing list, hope it helps. As I mention, publication doesn't yet seem to be a dead cert. at this point currently.

Last edited by decadence; 06-25-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by OneTime: Anyway, the book called "Inspiration for Greeks" ($1.00 of every book sold donated to The Association of Fraternity Advisors) is a short true stories compendium from fraternity or sorority members. The good and the bad. The current edition ALSO refers to a future 'Inspiration for Greeks II'. Both that title and the one I mention below in trying to sweep away myths, were to strive to portray a balanced view. I don't know if 'Inspiration for Greeks II' is published yet.
Quote:
Originally posted by ABergman: OneTime ---
The Fraternal news one is the one I was talking about, I cant find the email that it was in and I was wondering if you knew the name of it. Also thanks for the other books that are out there, I wasn't really looking for the sorority ones but more the fraternity ones. Thanks !
Hi, re the Inspiration For Greeks one at least, I have a copy myself and it focuses I'd say more on fraternities than sororities and so I definitely think it'd be worth your looking at it. It's an uplifting book to read, not in a preachy way of course. Stories of greek experiences.

On Inspiration For Greeks II, I spoke to the publishers on the 'phone last night to ask if it was coming out (yep really, aren't I nice?).
They are still accepting stories for it, I think it might be of interest to some members of GreekChat.com? It isn't lost in limbo or anything they've recently published Inspiration for Resident Assistants II and stuff so it does seem that it will come to fruition! Editors of the first edition included (Greek) Greek Life and Student Life Directors at colleges. I believe as with the first title in the series $1.00 of every book sold will be donated to The Association of Fraternity Advisors.

This is in case anyone is interested in submitting to it:

For more info about submitting a story or co-author positions please contact:

Anthony J. D'Angelo
Editor in Chief
Collegiate EmPowerment Company, Inc.
PO Box 702
Lambertville
NJ 08530
Toll free: 1. 877. EDUTAIN (338 8246)
Fax submissions to: 609.397.0833
e-mail: Inspiration@Collegiate-EmPowerment.com
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
I wonder if this might be (finally) an update to From Here to Fraternity - came out in late 80's - LOVED that book, but lost it.

Would love to have it back, or an updated version run.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum: I wonder if this might be (finally) an update to From Here to Fraternity - came out in late 80's - LOVED that book, but lost it.
Would love to have it back, or an updated version run.
I've heard of it, the one by Robert Egan. It's - as you know - out of print now, the above titles are unconnected. I haven't heard of any plans to re-issue but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a little rhyme, courtesy of From Here to Fraternity By Robert Egan:
This is Greek and how they spelt her-
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta,
Epsilon, Zeta,
Eta, Theta,
Then Iota, Kappa too,
Followed up by Lambda, Mu,
Nu, Xi,
Omicron, Pi,
After that, Rho, Sigma, Tau,
Upsilon, Phi, and still three more,
Chi, Psi, and Omega's twenty-four.

Xi = Zi (long I)
Chi = Ki (long I)
Don't forget that when the letter Phi is preceded by a letter ending in 'a' (alpha, beta, etc.), it is pronounced FEE not FI (long I).

http://people.msoe.edu/~tritt/greeklr.html
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the poem!

And I always wondered why they pronounced Alpha Phi (as Phee) even though Alpha Phi Omega is "normal." Thanks!

(I know that's really random, but I just got really excited about finally knowing why.)
Old 06-29-2004, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reverie
I love the poem!

And I always wondered why they pronounced Alpha Phi (as Phee) even though Alpha Phi Omega is "normal." Thanks!

(I know that's really random, but I just got really excited about finally knowing why.)
that doesn't explain it at all. according to that the phi in APO would need to be pronounced 'fee' as well

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 06-29-2004, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
Don't forget that when the letter Phi is preceded by a letter ending in 'a' (alpha, beta, etc.), it is pronounced FEE not FI (long I).\
Same goes for Xi. That's why we have Alpha Xi (Zee) Delta and Theta Xi (ZI).

For APO, does having the Omega after the Phi make the pronunciation difference, then?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't forget that when the letter Phi is preceded by a letter ending in 'a' (alpha, beta, etc.), it is pronounced FEE not FI (long I).\
Doesn't that just apply to the letter "alpha"? I've never heard it pronounced Pi Beta "Fee" ...
Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 AM

Explanation in Alpha Phi forum

It doesn't have to do with whether it follows a vowel.