GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,450
0 members and 2,450 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2000, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sankofa15
Post Group homes

Just trying to get an idea what 'educated' black men think of group homes. Are they good for the youth or are they just preparations for prisons?
Is there another way that we can teach our children what is right and what is wrong? Perhaps getting the children more involved with disciplined settings...such as the Nation of Islam will 'set them straight'. I just watched the Muslim Brother Yusef Bey speaking on television last night.... He's very deep. I also saw him speak in Los Angeles. He's from Oakland though.

What do you guys think!!!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2000, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Do you think that maybe your fraternity can come up with the concept in mind of a group home. That will train young boys in what is wrong or what is right. Are there any group homes that are sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha? Maybe it should be considered if there aren't, because our young boys need us.
Old 08-04-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by sankofa15:
Just trying to get an idea what 'educated' black men think of group homes. Are they good for the youth or are they just preparations for prisons?
Is there another way that we can teach our children what is right and what is wrong? Perhaps getting the children more involved with disciplined settings...such as the Nation of Islam will 'set them straight'. I just watched the Muslim Brother Yusef Bey speaking on television last night.... He's very deep. I also saw him speak in Los Angeles. He's from Oakland though.

What do you guys think!!!!!!!
I think the concept is tight, but IT is only as good as the budget set aside for it, the people that run it(and what's really in their hearts about the children), and the neighbors of the place.
Old 08-04-2000, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

That's true....but how often do you see that? Not too often. Kids today need (especially black children) need discipline. And discipline from people that look like them...It's a self-esteem builder. The ghetto youths need self esteem and role models to look after... I'm not too sure if that's what they are receiving in these institutions. I think that we all know people who have been in these group homes and boys camps...ect...ect... They come out the same as they entered...The only difference is that they are old enough to go to the real prisons and jails.... There has got to be a better way... Education helps...but it's all dependent upon the type of education you receive. It's gaining a knowledge of self that's important...Of course the degree is good to help get a job in this society...but what good is that degree if you don't anything to help YOUR people with it?

Just a little food for thought!!!!

Trying to generate a vibe in this room!!!!
Old 08-04-2000, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Original...
I echo the same sentiment...especially the part about the budget!!! We need to learn that just any ole' thing isn't the best method!

While I'm not necessarily in favor a Muslim based group home...I am infavor of the group home idea...I really believe in that "train up a child in the way that he must go" In many cases we wait until its too late to make a real impact...

But I like the idea of group homes

A PHI,

Ice Cold Kreator
Old 08-04-2000, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
I know you asked for a male perspective, but I had to voice an opinion on this based on my experience with group home employees. It does depend on the budget, the people that run them, and the neighbors. Are the owners opening these homes because they truly love the children, or because there is alot of money to be made (in some cases, homes recieve as much as 200.00 per night for each bed occupied, if not more). Beyond numerous certifications, by what principles are they training their staff? And are the neighbors understanding or are they quick to report the slightest movement that they see in an attempt to get the home shut down?

I think group homes can work because when all of these factors are operating properly, they provide a necessary structural environment for children that previously did not have any structure. The group home setting is very strict, but not as harsh as prison. They also get to participate in many outings and activities that allow them to channel their energy into something positive. Sadly, many of these children come into the group home setting with a "gangsta" or tough guy/girl mentality, have an overfascination with death, and don't see a future for themselves. Many of them are following poor "role modes" and do not want to change. From what I've seen, many of them end up in prison, boot camp, or running the streets. It's a hard job for group home staff members. That's why it's so important when we all encounter these children, that we make sure we are sending a positive message to them and that we are not prejudging them. Also, we need to work with youth that we know are headed in the wrong direction before they end up in homes.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30