GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,680
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zhaleyunior7165
» Online Users: 884
0 members and 884 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Potential Leadership in House

Hello GC!

I am about to go through recruitment at a Big 12 school and I was wondering if there is a way to ask if there are leadership positions available as a freshman during recruitment. I was very involved at my high school and would love to continue having leadership positions in college, especially in a sorority.

Is that a question I should even ask during recruitment? Would that help me, hurt me, or do anything at all for me? Is recruitment even the right setting for such a question? If so, how do I ask that?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by abbeydae; 07-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeydae View Post
Hello GC!

I am about to go through recruitment at a Big 12 school and I was wondering if there is a way to ask if there are leadership positions available as a freshman during recruitment. I was very involved at my high school and would love to continue having leadership positions in college, especially in a sorority.

Is that a question I should even ask during recruitment? Would that help me, hurt me, or do anything at all for me? Is recruitment even the right setting for such a question? If so, how do I ask that?

Thank you so much!
REMOVE YOU REAL NAME FROM THIS ASAP IT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK CREEPY TO THE ACTIVES FROM YOUR SCHOOL READING THIS.

It's great that you want to be involved...ask about it casually and you'll be fine. Just don't be a creepy PNM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM

I agree with what Sydney said!

In addition, keep in mind that MOST incoming freshman will not have as many leadership positions open to them as maybe a member who is a second semester freshman, sophomore, or upperclassman. This is because most chapter leadership positions are reserved for initiated members.

Having said that, your campus might have a Junior Panhellenic Association in which all new sorority members belong. You will typically have leadership positions in that open to you, in addition to being a representative to the Jr. Panhellenic Association from your chapter. Some sorority chapters also have leadership positions within the new member class: class president, VP, etc. You should note however, that not all sororities will have new member class leadership positions such as this. It also may vary from campus to campus depending on how large an average pledge class size is.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I was my "Pledge Class President", though looking back, I'm not sure how much leadership that actually entailed. But I think it's a good idea to let them know that you wouldn't be a passive member of the organization, should you become a member. Definitely let them know that you want to be involved, help whenever possible, and try to make it an even better organization throughout your years there. There is a fine line between that and saying something like "I WANT TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE SORORITY NEXT YEAR!" at your first recruitment party, however.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for responding so quickly! Wow!

That all makes perfect sense! But how do I say that I want to be in a position of leadership without sounding cocky or overbearing? I definitely do not want that impression during recruitment.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM

It's good to want to be involved, should you receive a bid to a chapter.

Many times, freshman sorority members aren't chapter officers. They start out with maybe a chair or serving on a committee or something.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think saying something like, "One aspect of sorority life that appeals to me is the opportunity for leadership development while I am in college." is completely appropriate.

That way it allows you to express your interest in that aspect of sorority membership but doesn't sound like you expect to be chapter president next fall.

If it feels appropriate during the flow of the conversation to turn it into a question, even better. Ask what kind of leadership development they have for their members. Or tie your interest into your major if that fits.

One thing to keep in mind is that leadership selection varies from group to group. Some groups do elections where people "run" for office. Other groups do selection by nominating committee and so running or jockeying for a specific office is a no-no. I doubt that this will come up and it isn't something you can ask about, but thought I would mention it.

I hope it goes well for you! Come back and share your story!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I would not commit to taking a heavy leadership role during my freshman year. You've never been to college - first you want to make sure you can handle your courseload (plus sorority in general, if that's your choice), THEN move into a leadership role, should that be your choice.

Just food for thought.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

That all makes perfect sense! But how do I say that I want to be in a position of leadership without sounding cocky or overbearing? I definitely do not want that impression during recruitment.
If you're at a Big 12 school, the chapters are fairly large and you'll most likely be a sophomore or junior before you get anything that's not an appointed office.

Also, just FYI, leadership positions in any college extracurricular can be very very different than what you're used to in high school. It's OK to say something like what TriDeltaSallie suggested, but quite frankly, it would be in your best interest to just sit back for a while and look at how things are run before you bite off more than you can chew. In a sorority or in ANY college activity you get involved in.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Please listen to those cautioning against putting too much onto your college plate at once. It's just fine to tell sorority members that an aspect of sorority life that appeals to you is the opportunity to learn how to be a leader through positions within the sorority. But then relax for a while. Personally I was given a very important and involved office as a second semester freshman-and that should never have happened. If you end up in a sorority and there are opportunities to be a pledge class officer or Junior Panhellenic officer, try those positions first and THEN, next year, if you think you still want a leadership position go for it.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I would agree with the women who say to take it slow. Enjoy your new member period and just being a member of a sorority. Leadership is great and I wouldn't change the opportunities I had for the world. But when you take a leadership position, your sorority experience and the way you interact with your sisters does change to a certain degree.

There is a lot to be said for enjoying the just being and doing for a bit before taking on what can be a lot of responsibility.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sometimes, it's better to be a follower for a while. Get your feet wet and then worry about how you're going to lead everyone else. Leadership is an admirable trait, but no one wants to hear a PNM tell them that they're going to change/improve/make ABC THE BEST SORORITY EVAH!!.

Enjoy recruitment, and if you get a bid, Bid Day. Then enjoy your new member period. Don't look too much further than that for a while. You only get one go-around at being brand new.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I think saying something like, "One aspect of sorority life that appeals to me is the opportunity for leadership development while I am in college." is completely appropriate.
Thank you TriDeltaSallie! That is a very professional way of getting my point across!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's OK to say something like what TriDeltaSallie suggested, but quite frankly, it would be in your best interest to just sit back for a while and look at how things are run before you bite off more than you can chew. In a sorority or in ANY college activity you get involved in
And that is a very good point 33girl. I do want a leadership position, but also see where you are coming from. Is there a way for me to show that I am interested in leadership freshman year (without the position) that would open the door for a potential position later on?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I would agree with the women who say to take it slow. Enjoy your new member period and just being a member of a sorority. Leadership is great and I wouldn't change the opportunities I had for the world. But when you take a leadership position, your sorority experience and the way you interact with your sisters does change to a certain degree.

There is a lot to be said for enjoying the just being and doing for a bit before taking on what can be a lot of responsibility.
Good point. Leadership positions can be very fulfilling, but your interactions with your sisters WILL change, and that's another reason to wait. Have a fun, carefree freshman year.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
And that is a very good point 33girl. I do want a leadership position, but also see where you are coming from. Is there a way for me to show that I am interested in leadership freshman year (without the position) that would open the door for a potential position later on?
Be an involved and enthusiastic new member. Do beyond what is required in your NM period. That's really the best thing you can do.