GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,499
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, nathanfances701
» Online Users: 1,564
2 members and 1,562 guests
indisigma00, Mooch279

Old 04-29-2002, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Southwest Texas State Rush

My daughter is off to SWT in San Marcos, TX next year. She is so very excited, but we need advise.

The following sororities are at SWT:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Zeta Tau Alpha

Though it seems like everyone in my family has been greek, I don't know anyone who has been in these sororities, except for Chi Omega.

How do you go about getting letters of recommendation, if you don't have those contacts?

Also, if you went to SWT, what is greek life like there, and what is Recruitment like? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! SWTMom
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
You should contact your local panhellenic. What city do you live in. As of next week, I am a DZ alum, so I could possibly do a rec for her if I get a resume or something
Old 04-29-2002, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Please keep in mind that while it is nice to have letters of reference (correct term) sent in about your daughter before Recruitment begins, it is the NPC's position that it is the responsibility of the chapter to secure letters of reference should that chapter require them.

That said - the best place would be to inquire at your local Alumnae Panhellenic, your church/synagogue and at your daughter's school. ZTA is so big in TX, it would be hard to imagine that none of your daughter's teachers are Zetas.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

SWTMom,

I agree with what the others have said. Contact the Alumnae Panhellenic Council in your city and let them know about your daughter. They can either put you in touch with some alumnae in those organizations, or they can get you to send in a copy of your daughter's resume (and a picture) and they'll get in touch with the alumnae themselves.

Also, have your daughter ask her teachers, friends' moms, church acquaintences, etc., about their Greek affiliations. There are a lot of Greek alumnae out there, but many of them won't announce their affiliations unless asked.

Good luck! Please keep us updated about your daughter's Rush experience -- and feel free to have her visit GreekChat to read up on Rush information. There are LOTS of Rush experts on this board!

Greek Love,
dzrose93
Old 04-29-2002, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey SWT Mom! How exciting. My little brother graduated from SWT this past December, and I know he absolutely loved San Marcos (said he's never leaving the Hill Country!).

You have gotten alot of good advice, and I PM'd you, but I'll just add a couple more things...

Recruitment at SWT is competitive, but not cut-throat. Your daughter should feel comfortable being herself & just enjoy the experience! She is going to meet alot of people--I don't know how big the Greek system @ SWT is percentage wise, but I know it is pretty visible to the community and strong.

Recommendations may be a big MUST HAVE at UT, but I don't think it's that crucial at SWT (of course, they can't hurt, either). I will ask my friend who is the DZ advisor at SWT how heavily recs are considered there (I know at my little school with only 3 sororities, recs really set a girl apart--and made us try harder to get them, no matter what organization the rec was from). I will also check with her to find out the scoop on all the chapters there...each of the organizations you listed has a great reputation nationally, as well as strong presence in Texas. I don't think she can go wrong with any of them!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xo_sue
I'm glad you found this site- it will be a great asset to you and your daughter during recruitment!

Keep us posted on her experience (and your feelings about it too)! Best of luck!

Sue
Old 04-30-2002, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I was just on the SWT texas campus a few weeks ago and everyone was wearing their letters-I was impressed. Greeks seem to be very visible there. Good Luck to your daughter.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up keep in touch

and encourage your daughter to get ready to have a ball...
and do a little school work too
lol
mmcat
Old 05-01-2002, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dz4me
Hi SWT Mom!
Your daughter will love SWT and our Greek system. Being Greek opens a lot of doors and is a great way to get involved!
On your questions about recommendations, each sorority has their own rules but I think its safe to say that we all pay more attention to someone who has been personally recommended by either an active member or an alumna. It is each sorority's responsibility to get their own recs. However, it is a BIG help for all of us if your daughter will also register with her hometown alumnae panhellenic to assist in this process. Texas A&M has an extensive list of Alumnae Panhellenic contacts on their website. Here is the link: http://studentlife.tamu.edu/greek/default.htm
Go into the Recruitment section/Panhellenic.
For info on all of the SWT sororities, here is the link: www.studentorgs.swt.edu/panhellenic
Have fun browsing around!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

over spring break...

i randomly happened to meet a few sisters while in texas last year over spring break... they were wonderful young women, and were actually with a few girls from another chapter from swt... they had nothing but good things to say about their campus... good luck to your daughter, with recruitment, and with swt altogether!

~*~
Old 05-09-2002, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzandiloo
Hey SWT Mom! How exciting. My little brother graduated from SWT this past December, and I know he absolutely loved San Marcos (said he's never leaving the Hill Country!).

hahaha. So true. I dont plan on leaving the hill country. Music is too good, and where else are ya gonna find a river like the guadalupe? She'll love SWT. Such a great school. Also the greek advisor there rocks. He used to be our greek advisor. hands down the best thing to ever happen to our greek system was him. Took us to the next level, and is a man of honor and integrety. The greek system is in very capable hands. itsa an awesome greek system, and very visible. One of the best in the state in my book. you dont have to be old money to get in, and they give a lot back to the community. San Marcos is a great college town.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My best friend's sister, Laura, was a Delta Zeta at SWT. She is a sweet, intelligent, fun girl. I met many of her Delta Zeta sisters at her (Laura's) wedding. They were all adorable and friendly people. From what I have heard, Delta Zeta has a great chapter there.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver

hahaha. So true. I dont plan on leaving the hill country.
Mo?
Is that you? You'll post on a listserve, but you won't e-mail your big sister? LOL (of course I know it isn't you, because you never turn your computer on, much less post on a list like this!)....
Old 05-10-2002, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a few Chi Omegas from SWT and they are all fantastic ladies. Good luck to your daughter in going through rush this fall.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard great things about the Chi Omegas from SWT!! My supervisor is a Chi O from that chapter and she's a an awesome lady!!
Good luck to your daughter!!