GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,415
0 members and 2,415 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Vermont Judge Dismisses Hazing Charges (FIJI - "Brokeback" Case)

As reported in the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ver..._uvm_students/

This was the first case under Vermont's new anti-hazing law. An appeal is possible.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BrendanMcGrail
I hope they get kicked in the face with fines on appeal, then lose their charter. Not only is that degrading and clearly hazing, it's homophobic.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Vermont, it's not like they weren't already homosexual to begin with.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Somehow I don't think that biology is skewed by geography the way culture is. Now, if you were saying they were more likely to be out in Vermont, I'd agree. But that's neither here nor there.

If there turns out to be enough evidence to fine them, they should absolutely lose their charter - activity like tha hurts the entire greek community.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanMcGrail View Post
I hope they get kicked in the face with fines on appeal, then lose their charter. Not only is that degrading and clearly hazing, it's homophobic.
If you think thats hazing then I suggest you never visit any of your southern chapters. From what I gathered from the article they made them dress up like cowboys and called them fags. Sounds really traumatizing. That is not hazing. Maybe you are gay and you take offense to that, I dont know. But I dont care if gays take offense to it because I dont like gay people.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Somehow I don't think that biology is skewed by geography the way culture is. Now, if you were saying they were more likely to be out in Vermont, I'd agree. But that's neither here nor there.

If there turns out to be enough evidence to fine them, they should absolutely lose their charter - activity like tha hurts the entire greek community.

Lose their charter because they made them dress like cowboys and called them some names? Good Lord.....that is ridiculous.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

How so? It paints us all as hate-mongering homophobes. Is that the image you want attached to fraternity life?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I could personally give a shit what a bunch of GDIs think of fraternity life. I know how it is......as does anyone that is worth a damn.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

"From what I gathered from the article they made them dress up like cowboys and called them fags. Sounds really traumatizing. That is not hazing."

How is that not hazing? Have you read the definition or the law recently....making new members dress up in anything and/or calling them names is clearly noted in the anti-hazing laws.

"I could personally give a shit what a bunch of GDIs think of fraternity life. I know how it is......as does anyone that is worth a damn."

yeah....and i think more than just the 'GDIs' think this is a problem. just ask your national office. I'd like to see if they share you opinion. although, you probably don't 'give a shit' what they think either.....
Old 12-03-2006, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

No...actually I really don't care what Nationals thinks.......I really don't think I know of a chapter in the South that likes/appreciates/wants to have anything to do with their Nationals. Nationals is doing nothing but destroying their strong chapters by instilling their PC crap and effectively ruining 150+ years of history and tradition.

......so, using your hazing laws logic.....if we made our pledges dress in khakis with a tucked in Polo or button down with boots or loafers (basically made them look like gentlemen everyday)........should we get into trouble as well?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. Unless your brothers are expected to the exact same thing.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. Unless your brothers are expected to the exact same thing.

hahahahahah....thats great. We should get in trouble for teaching pledges to act like gentlemen and how to present themselves well. Great logic. You are obviously very far away from any respectable Southern greek system. I bet you have memorized your active manual. Congrats on that.

.......on a side note, all of my brothers know how to dress and look respectable, we don't have to "expect" it out of one another. When you are a pledge, its part of the deal. I haven't yet had a pledge class where anyone was opposed to looking nice.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Mac, not everyone here thinks the southern way is the best way. People here dance around that, but I'm tired of it not being said. It works for y'all, but those of us in the west, north and mid-west often have very different ways of doing things, and we like it that way. If we wanted to do things the way the southern chapters do it, we would.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face from the Midwest

I'm a Sigma Pi from the Midwest and from what Mac is saying my chapter looks at pledgeing the same way he and his brothers do, you must earn your way in and some comical brokeback hazing sounds funny to me. Hell they weren't touched or hurt for that matter. If they didn't want to be there they could have up and left but they took it like good pledges should. If you think I'm being insensative, we currently have a gay brother in the Fraternity and he's just like one of us and jokes about other pledges being gay which, so don't even try and come at me with a homophobe comment either.

Unlike 80% of the chapters out there now we make our brothers earn there letter instead of giving them 3 weeks of edu. and handing them letters.