GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,521
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zluisswftz3482
» Online Users: 1,522
1 members and 1,521 guests
g41965

Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Will my age hurt me in recruitment?

I will be graduating high school in a couple months and starting college in the fall. I've always wanted to join a sorority and know a lot about greek life through my mom and grandma, although there sorority isn't at my school. My problem though is that I skipped a grade and I'm already young for my old grade so I'll be 16 until the middle October. Will this hurt me? Most of my friends now are older so I'm used to hanging out with 18 year olds. The school I'm going to doesnt really accept upper classmen into greek life so I don't want to wait until I'm older. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikate View Post
I will be graduating high school in a couple months and starting college in the fall. I've always wanted to join a sorority and know a lot about greek life through my mom and grandma, although there sorority isn't at my school. My problem though is that I skipped a grade and I'm already young for my old grade so I'll be 16 until the middle October. Will this hurt me? Most of my friends now are older so I'm used to hanging out with 18 year olds. The school I'm going to doesnt really accept upper classmen into greek life so I don't want to wait until I'm older. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Your situation is not unique. There are lots of PNMs who find themselves in the same boat as you.

Make sure your grades and activities are in order and just go through rush already. It's as simple as that.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

I would double check with your Office of Greek Life and be sure that you are eligible to participate in recruitment at your age. You may need parental consent just to register for it.

In terms of whether it will hurt you, it depends on how the indivdual chapters will feel about having a 16 year old new member.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of a chapter that recently pledged a 17 year old; it does happen. I would follow up KSUViolet said, check with Greek Life to make sure you can go through recruitment and what papers your parents will need to sign.

IMO, I don't think your age will make it a big deal unless you make it a big deal, but it does depend on the chapter and the campus.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see an underage (as in under 18, not 21) member being a big risk management concern, unless they were emancipated. There's just too many legal and practical issues.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Many college freshmen in California (most of the ones I knew, actually) are 17. It was never even brought up as an issue at my school. But, be prepared that you won't be able to go to some of the places your sisters will be able to go as 18+.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter took a 16 year old in Fall 2007. She's finishing up her sophomore year now, and she still wont be 18 until May. The only thing we had to do with her is that her parents had to sign her AXiD membership contract and her Omega contract when she joined.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I was 16 when I started college, and when I got my bid. It caused a little drama at the time, because my parents had to sign off on some things, but nothing major.

If you're used to being with older people now (as you are, since you've skipped a grade), then you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't recommend advertising your age, but I wouldn't lie about it, either. If asked, just say your age, mention that you've been ahead for years, and that you're more used to women their age than your own.

PM me if you have any special questions.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I was 16 when I started college, and when I got my bid. It caused a little drama at the time, because my parents had to sign off on some things, but nothing major.

If you're used to being with older people now (as you are, since you've skipped a grade), then you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't recommend advertising your age, but I wouldn't lie about it, either. If asked, just say your age, mention that you've been ahead for years, and that you're more used to women their age than your own.

PM me if you have any special questions.
I was gonna say "honeychile was 16 when she started college..." but I knew you'd pop in here yourself.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I was gonna say "honeychile was 16 when she started college..." but I knew you'd pop in here yourself.
LOL! I thought of digging up my recruitment thread but thought it was too outdated anyhow.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, especially if you are at a larger school, it may not even register with the actives. I know we never checked age...they may see a freshman as a freshman, and only worry about age for upperclassmen.

I know of a girl who was 16 who got a bid at a "top tier" chapter at a school with a pretty competitive recruitment...they didn't even realize during recruitment she was so young. I believe she turned 17 very soon after the start of college, but she was 16 during recruitment for sure.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
LOL! I thought of digging up my recruitment thread but thought it was too outdated anyhow.
16 and in college, sounds like a story I'd like to hear!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a PNM who went through recruitment when she was 17. Her parents had to sign off on some docs to let her go through and I believe when she was initiated into AXiD her parents had to consent to some things as well (I'm thinking financial things). It does happen, but be sure to check with your greek life office.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter was 17 during rush this past fall and it never even occurred to us to worry about her age. It was never an issue.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Long ago and far far away .. when I rushed (yes I'm so old it was rush) .. I had just turned 17 ... it was never an issue and we never even thought about it.

there were circumstances that led to about 10 of us skipping our Junior year in high school and there were 6 of us who went thru rush that fall .. all of us 17.