GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 939
0 members and 939 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas State University/Southwest Texas Univeristy rush

So after 5 months of lurking around, shifting through LOTS of threads, i have to give up and ask for some help. I am looking to rush in the fall this year and i was trying to get a feel for what recruitment was like. The only link i could find that was pretty relevant was from 2002.

i have an idea of the gpa requirements (the school posts the grades online http://www.studentorgs.txstate.edu/greek/grades.htm) Im sure above the chapter average listed here is best, however ive tried asking the panhel office if below the average is acceptable but i've only been told that at least a 2.5 is a national requirement for the majority of the 6 sororities on campus. From what i have found here on GC, there are national and chapter gpa requirements. I guess what i am looking for is for example, a hypothetical situation, ABC has a 3.0 chapter avg, and Susie Q has a 2.9, is this going to be problem for Susie Q? Ive read threads about GPA cutoffs and many posters have said, most chapters wont take a girl below their chapter minimum gpa for obvious reasons, however, i dont know the minimum so should i use the chapter avg as an idea?

I'm doing well on recs so far, i'm not sure how competitive recruitment is here but the greeks are very visible on campus and to me, they seem like a large part of the student body. Im aiming for two recs for each organization, Should i aim for more?

I guess just any advice regarding recruitment here would be so helpful and much appreciated! i'm doing this on my own in a way, my family has no greeks on either side of the family so i'm the first trying to go greek! Its very exciting but very stressful at the same time!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandah View Post
ABC has a 3.0 chapter avg, and Susie Q has a 2.9, is this going to be problem for Susie Q?
Normally, yes, probably, but based on the greek grades report in the link you provided, only one NPC chapter there has over a 3.0 average, so you're probably ok at least making sure you have the 2.5 minimum (since even the 3.0 chapter obviously has members under that if it's only their average).
Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM

You can't really judge whether or not you'll be released from a chapter for grades based on the average. That tells you alot about how the girls in the chapter perform academically, but not about their requirements.

My advice is to contact the Greek Life Office and get the actual info about the minimums. That way you know for sure.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been my experience that the minimum required to go through recruitment for a particular campus often falls below the minimum for the chapters. So, if the required min to go through is 2.5, you can be sure that some of the houses will have a higher min. like a 3.0. These chapter minimums are not often posted. Now, that said, there are also exceptions to those chapter minimums. But, to pledge a pnm with a lower than required gpa will take special permission. Usually the pnm will need to have an abundance of extracurricular activities, etc to show that her academic performance suffered somewhat due to this involvement. It is harder to get a bid if you are below the chapter minimum, but it is not unheard of.

Two recs per house sounds good. But, if you know five alums from ABC sorority, go ahead and give your info to all five and ask if they would mind writing a letter for you. It is not going to hurt to have more than two letters or recs.

Good luck this fall. We will be rooting for you!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Usually the pnm will need to have an abundance of extracurricular activities, etc to show that her academic performance suffered somewhat due to this involvement. It is harder to get a bid if you are below the chapter minimum, but it is not unheard of.
Yes, or prove that there were severe extenuating circumstances (death in the immediate family, lengthy sickness, learning disability, etc...) and that the PNM made a sincere effort with respect to academics to offset that circumstance.

Just because there is a special circumstance doesn't mean the chapter has to do anything about it, though. Some won't allow exceptions, no matter the reason.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 05-08-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 PM

According to this page, PNMs @ Texas State need a 2.5:

http://www.txstatepanhellenic.com/page.php?page_id=5332

I'm sure your GL office will have info the specific chapter minimums though, since I don't see that info anywhere here.

Cuts are not made based on a chapter average, but if ABC has a local GPA requirement of a 3.0, and Suzie Q has a 2.9, she can expect to be cut by them.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not seen it as standard procedure to list the individual chapter minimums on a website - is this a norm I am not aware of?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I have not seen it as standard procedure to list the individual chapter minimums on a website - is this a norm I am not aware of?
At W&L it was listed in our recruitment booklet - which I now think has been moved completely online.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Minimum GPAs were listed on the Wake Forest and Duke Panhel websites a couple of years ago. What I remember reading about W&L's is that the college Panhel minimum was lower than any of the individual groups' mins. I always wondered if that would cause angst for the girls who made the college min but none of the groups. Wouldn't they be automatically cut from all groups?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas lists it on their website as well as costs for each chapter
Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Paging SWTXBelle!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
What I remember reading about W&L's is that the college Panhel minimum was lower than any of the individual groups' mins. I always wondered if that would cause angst for the girls who made the college min but none of the groups. Wouldn't they be automatically cut from all groups?
This is true and it's a major problem at W&L. The Panhel minimum is 2.0 but all the groups have a minimum requirement of 2.25 or greater.

I think because of the general academic strength at W&L, many groups do get "grade risks" that they really want cleared, but it's a stupid situation. IMO Panhel should just raise the minimum.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is a good idea TO list those individual chapter minimums. Glad to see it being done in some places. Thanks for keeping me informed!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

pandah....
just wondering how recruitment went at TX State..i'll be a sophmore next fall looking to rush a sorority! I can't wait and I'm soo excited
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't think that a group owuld want to post their requirement. The reason I say this is that they may be able to take a few below that, there may be additional requirements for those with lower grades, etc. That's private membership selection information and should not be published.