GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,384
1 members and 1,383 guests
Sarak24034

Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Arkansas Rec Letter Help

Hey y'all!
I am going to be participating in fall recruitment at the University of Arkansas and I am finding it very hard to get any rec letters. Most of the graduated girls I have contacted have yet to respond and I have no family contacts because I will be the first person in my family to go Greek.
The current sororities at the U of A are: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi and Zeta Tau Alpha.
Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Mu are colonizing this year, but I am not closed to the idea of joining them.
If anyone is willing to help me out, I will be forever thankful!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
There are many, many threads on here about how to find recs. Surely you have high school teachers, coaches, church/synagogue contacts, etc.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I do, however, no one has contacted me back. Our rec letters are due by August 1st and I am very nervous that I will not hear back from anyone in time. My area does not have an alumnae association, but I have registered with one 3 hours away. I have one group of ladies giving me recs, but it is only for one sorority out of the 10.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Again this question? You can do a search on here for MANY threads on how to find recs. But, just because I'm feeling rather magnanimous today, I'll lay it out for you.

You do not need to contact recent grads that you know from Arkansas. Contact ANY person you know (parent of friends, school teachers, Sunday School teachers, employer of yours or your parents, etc, etc, etc) who went to college. Doesn't matter how old they are or where they went to school. When you find a Greek woman, ask if she knows anyone in the other groups you need. We all have friends who belong to other groups. Have your resume, transcript, pictures, pre addressed flat envelope with appropriate postage for her. And send a hand written thank you.

You're welcome.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpiazza View Post
I do, however, no one has contacted me back. Our rec letters are due by August 1st and I am very nervous that I will not hear back from anyone in time. My area does not have an alumnae association, but I have registered with one 3 hours away. I have one group of ladies giving me recs, but it is only for one sorority out of the 10.
Did you ask them if they know ladies in the other groups? Betcha didn't
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

How did you contact the alumnae that you asked? A phone call is the best way. You ask for the rec, deliver your information, and follow up with a thank you.

Do not focus on recent grads for recs. Ask adults in your town. If you are in the state of arkansas, no matter how small your town, I guarantee you know adults who were Greek OR they can put you in touch with someone who is.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The alumnae who is getting me recs with her group is the mom of a good friend of mine. No, I did not ask her if she knew of any other sorority groups. Also, please let me clarify, I have contacted everyone I can think of that may have been in a sorority and not a single one has contacted me. I covered all my bases with people I know before posting on here. I apologize if there is a thread out there to help girls get recs. I searched and saw threads where girls did the same thing I did, so I thought it would be okay. I'm just trying to get help. I'm sorry.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

And don’t forget male contacts. Many men know sorority women (family, friends, co-workers etc.) and may be able to help put you in contact with them as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

How can they not contact you if you contacted them? You call them and continue to call until you get them. And not just people you think might have been in a sorority! ANYONE WHO WENT TO COLLEGE> Yes, it's a lot of work but at least it isn't Alabama where there are 17 groups or Illinois where there are 20 plus.

ETA: WE do not consider an email or voice mail as "contacting" us. Contacting us is when you actually make contact and we talk with you. Then you TAKE your information to the person....in person. Hand it to them. Texting, FB, email, etc don't fly with us ladies unless we tell you specifically it is.

Last edited by Titchou; 07-12-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you clarify how you contacted them? We may be able to help you figure out what the problem is when you can better explain that.

Also, good advice about contacting men.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Attention to the youth of America: Emailing or Facebooking someone is not 'contacting' them. A phone is used for more things than texting, emailing, and surfing the internet. Use it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My one suggestion is to have your mom ask her friends. Just because your mom was not in a sorority does not mean she does not have friends that are greek. Have her ask friends, ask your friends mom's as well. And pick up the phone for goodness sake. Make sure your packets are ready to go and get them delivered quickly when you reach someone.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have contacted some of my guy friends and they are contacting their cousins/friends/ect. for me.
Yes, I did contact my old teachers through e-mail and Facebook as I do not have their numbers and they are not listed on Facebook. Most people I know don't have their numbers in the phone book. My old teachers are usually quite active on Facebook anyway. This might not be "contacting" them to you,but if it is the best shot I have I'm going to use it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't have their home phone numbers in your student directory?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

No. Most of the teachers I have tried contacting were my teachers in elementary school. I don't think I've had a school directory since elementary school. I didn't have a school directory in HS because we had over 1,000 students at our school. Also, it might be good to mention that I am rushing as a sophomore.