GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,503
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, aidanpitt256
» Online Users: 2,525
3 members and 2,522 guests
g41965, John, nataliemarleyoz

Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
Paging SWTXBelle!!!!

LOL - recruitment at TX State is not NEARLY as intense as UT or SMU. I think any g.p.a. over 3.0 would be just fine.

As an aside, looking at the numbers I wonder . . . would TX State be interested in expansion soon? (fingers crossed, and you know why!)

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 02-26-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandah View Post
So after 5 months of lurking around, shifting through LOTS of threads, i have to give up and ask for some help. I am looking to rush in the fall this year and i was trying to get a feel for what recruitment was like. The only link i could find that was pretty relevant was from 2002.

i have an idea of the gpa requirements (the school posts the grades online http://www.studentorgs.txstate.edu/greek/grades.htm) Im sure above the chapter average listed here is best, however ive tried asking the panhel office if below the average is acceptable but i've only been told that at least a 2.5 is a national requirement for the majority of the 6 sororities on campus. From what i have found here on GC, there are national and chapter gpa requirements. I guess what i am looking for is for example, a hypothetical situation, ABC has a 3.0 chapter avg, and Susie Q has a 2.9, is this going to be problem for Susie Q? Ive read threads about GPA cutoffs and many posters have said, most chapters wont take a girl below their chapter minimum gpa for obvious reasons, however, i dont know the minimum so should i use the chapter avg as an idea?

I'm doing well on recs so far, i'm not sure how competitive recruitment is here but the greeks are very visible on campus and to me, they seem like a large part of the student body. Im aiming for two recs for each organization, Should i aim for more?

I guess just any advice regarding recruitment here would be so helpful and much appreciated! i'm doing this on my own in a way, my family has no greeks on either side of the family so i'm the first trying to go greek! Its very exciting but very stressful at the same time!
At the Chapter that I work with a 2.9 (our set grades are 3.0 high school, 2.5 college) might not be dropped for grades. There are several other things we will look for:
1. The girls really like her
2. Very involved in High School
3. Legacy- this is typically our ONLY grade exceptions
4. Went to a very difficult high school
5. took all AP courses

Your amount of recs are fine and with the new recommended drops they are not that important any more.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM

AXOrushadvisor: Everyone appreciates your advice, but please note that those things may be true of your campus, but not Texas State. You tend to post alot about how membership selection things work at your school and they just aren't the case everywhere.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
AXOrushadvisor: Everyone appreciates your advice, but please note that those things may be true of your campus, but not Texas State. You tend to post alot about how membership selection things work at your school and they just aren't the case everywhere.
Cosign. In fact, I doubt if AChiO would be terribly pleased with the way she continues to publicly discuss any of their chapters' membership selection process or criteria. Is that not as private with AChiO as it is with other groups?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Cosign. In fact, I doubt if AChiO would be terribly pleased with the way she continues to publicly discuss any of their chapters' membership selection process or criteria. Is that not as private with AChiO as it is with other groups?

As I posted in the other thread, AChiO's 5 basic membership standards (or whatever they're called), are public info (and are listed on most collegiate chapter sites). Her posts may go beyond that though (but I'm not an AXO obviously so i'm not sure of that).

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

REALLY weird coincidence that I get back on Greek Chat and my thread has been bumped

texas 09,
I unfortunately did not go through recruitment this fall. I will say to you though that i HIGHLY recommend going through all the "what not to do or say" recruitment threads, read up on the recommendations threads and pay attention to the conversation advice threads and listen to what the GC ladies say in other threads. My best friend went through rush at Texas as a Junior and she had a successful recruitment thanks to many of the threads here.
I am extremely pro greek for many reasons including the fact that it is a great way to get involved on campus, make friends etc. Since you are a sophomore I also recommend that whatever your non greek friends tell you about sororities or what you have heard from the fraternity boys or around campus, throw it out the window. Be open minded to all the sororities. There are six wonderful chapters here and there is a fit for all different types of women. Your experience will be ten times better if you do that! If greek life doesn't pan out now, get involved (well you should start now) in other organizations! There are service fraternities and sororities along with all the other student interest groups! Anyways, get involved at school, keep up the grades, and read all the advice threads, they are there for a reason and were extremely helpful getting two of my best friends prepared for recruitment at Texas and Texas State!
Also keep us updated! I've been reading recruitment stories all day and am now addicted! They are so much fun! Plus it would be great to hear how your experience went!

SXTXBelle- I obviously wouldn't know any information about possible expansion but just from chit chat with the sorority women i know, apparently the last expansion vote was shot down (I don't know when that was or for what reason). However they are apparently raising the application fee this year and they are pretty sure they are going to continue to have their recruitment a week or so after school starts. This past year they did some serious Panhellenic promotion before recruitment and I was told it paid off. Roughly the new pledge classes are sitting between 40 and 50 NMs and around 110-130 total chapter members. I know nothing about expansion but there has been steady increases in size every year but there was a huge increase in NMs this last fall. So maybe? Like I said though, it was mostly chit chat between friends but nothing that is official!

Oh I got my numbers from the grade reports (http://www.studentorgs.txstate.edu/greek/grades.htm)

I also wanted to say a belated thanks to those who posted and pm'ed with such great advice for me! While I didn't get to use it, I passed it along to some really good friends and it worked out for them!
Sorry the post is so long!

Last edited by pandah; 02-28-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell to save my life
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I go to Texas State also! What type of org were you interested in b/c I am the recruitment director for a Christian sorority called Phi Beta Chi! It's a small and truly wonderful sisterhood. If the faith thing isn't for you, I completely understand. One of my good friends is recruitment director for Alpha Zi Delta and as far as greeks go, they are the sweethearts, the good girls who are in good standing with the panhellenic council and still know how to have fun! good luck!!!!