GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,557
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, isaclittleoz273
» Online Users: 1,887
3 members and 1,884 guests
3DGator, Xidelt

Old 05-15-2004, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Involvement

Here's an idea me and a buddy came up with that we're going to do for rush this year. We have decided to call alumni and try to raise money for our recruitment efforts. We call it "A dollar for a bid". We are going to try and hand out 10 bids in the fall, so we're going to ask all alumni for a donation of $10 just for recruitment purposes.

Our Rush chairman and myself will be making these calls, then sending the alumni who would like to participate a letter plus a return envelope.

I'll let you all know how this works out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Not knowing what your affilation is, I'll make this a general caution. It sounds like a great idea but asking alums for $$ may get you into bigger problems than you really want to deal with. (our GVP Finance constantly reminds people "don't mess with the IRS!!")

IRS regulations forbid fundraising for operating funds (and recruitment is considered operating expenses). House Corporations (who are legally incorporated in the state) may solicit funds for building/ refurbishing projects. Chapters may solicit for philanthropic purposes ONLY.

If your finances are truly very tight, try asking the alums for donations of merchandise-- if you've planned your food or decorations, it can be very specific or as gift card (Target/ Wal Mart gift cards are very useful gifts) but cash donations have to be reported and if you have too much non-member income, you jeopardize your non-profit status. If you're a local GLO, you're a smaller fish than a NPC group so it's not as likely that you'd be audited but your creative idea may not as great as it seems
Old 05-15-2004, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, but what are the chances of the IRS coming to my chapter to worry over $500?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
It's probably just better to be safe than sorry. I know I ran into this during last year's recruitment. I was in charge of Pref Night, which needed a TON of stuff. I remember I was only allowed to ask for material donations. Also, some alums may already have some of the materials that you'll need.

However, it IS a cute idea. Just make sure to look into it.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Since I don't know what your affilation is, I don't know what the chances of the IRS coming after you are... but your treasurer will know how closely your HQ watches your finances. If you are local, you probably can get away with asking for cash donations but if you are not local, it is NOT a good idea to ask for cash. Ask for materials. In the long run, the benefit is the same... the alumnae will be helping financially and you'll have a great recruitment!
Old 05-16-2004, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Now you've scared me a bit. You never know who would be reading this and has friends in higher places. So if you wish to know my affiliation, feel free to PM me or send me an email at SGILL4613@hotmail.com

I totally understand your point, but I think most of us are willing to take our chances. But who knows. The idea might get shot down in the future.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter just asked some of our Alums to be Alumnae Angel's and each Alum sponsored one NM. It worked out really well, the new initiates got their first set of letters some stickers and a ring at initiation. But you could carry the Alum Angel thing throughout the semester. That way it also takes some of the financial pressure off the Big sis/bro. This way the alum's aren't donating money, they are donating "stuff".
Old 05-16-2004, 05:38 PM

He's a guy though, right? I thought the whole thing against alums giving money was a NPC keeping everything equal issue. What would be the difference if they asked alums for donations around rush time and used them for rush? I just don't understand why this would even be a big deal.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of a few ADPi chapters who have had alum support for recruitment. The cost is soooo expensive sometimes, so it help with alums are supportive. I know its much better to have material donations that way you dont have to account for money. Maybe figure out all that you need in terms of things and send out lists to your alums asking for help with these items. That way they can help you have an awesome recruitment and it wont be any problems with IRS or Greek Life. If its donated to the chapter, noone can say anything about it.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Scholarship donations are allowed, right?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
Scholarship donations are allowed, right?
Yes, as well as tax deductible. There's also some bill that I believe was presented in Washington D.C. about allowing structual donations to be tax deductible as well. But I don't think it's gone through yet.