GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,575
3 members and 1,572 guests
MSKKG

Old 04-03-2006, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Question advice anyone?

Warning: this is kind of long
So, I just want honest advice because I have a difficult decision to make. Here's my situtation:
I rushed ABC. It was a sorority that a friend was in and I really enjoyed being around the sisters. I recieved a bid but because of a family emergency I couldn't accept it at the time. I rushed again and recieved another bid from the same sorority. I pledged and was one of the stronger members of my class, but I depleged after 4 weeks(for a valid reason that was beyond my control). I didn't want to go and my educator didn't want me to leave. I'm still close to the girls I was pledging with and they are encouraging me to pledge again. I've also had a couple of the sisters encourage me to consider repledging. The thing is a that a really close friend of mine is currently pledging XYZ. XYZ had been one of my choices but I didn't recieve a bid from them. When I went to events for XYZ, I was kind of shy and, during my rush with XYZ, I was just having one of those bad weeks (I lost my contacts, locked my keys in my car, had 3 exams, and got sick). It ended with a bad interview (I was nervous and I choked) and I can honestly say I wasn't surprised that I didn't get a bid. Now, I'm in a few organizations with XYZ sisters and my friend is really happy with them. Both ABC and XYZ are respected sororities who have open rush. I'm asking:
1.) Should I repledge with ABC or is trying a second time(third time getting a bid) too much to ask for?
2.) Should I even consider XYZ? Would they even consider me?

BTW, one of the reasons that I'm considering pledging XYZ is because one of the ABC sisters has been very disrespectful of me and the pledges. Several of the sisters have already told her to quit but it still goes on. Luckily, she's the only one I have a problem with. I would be proud to be a sister of either ABC or XYZ. I would really appreciate any honest advice. Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Are these NPC, local,regional, or national non-NPC groups?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

They are national non-NPC organizatons
Old 04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If this was NPC, I'd say your chances are slim to none, however since this is non-NPC, I don't know.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

are they NPHC?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

no, they're not NPHC. Both of them are considered multicultural, but they are under another council here and I wouldn't have to wait a calendar year to rerush.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you should try one on one contact with the members of XYZ. E-mail might work. If you show an effort that you would like to get to know them and that you are interested in their organization, I think that would help you out in the future.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brownsugar952
I think you should try one on one contact with the members of XYZ. E-mail might work. If you show an effort that you would like to get to know them and that you are interested in their organization, I think that would help you out in the future.
I am NOT trying to flame you, but I do have to say that I completely disagree w/E-mail. I think E-mail shows a lack of effort, rather then interest. If you want to reach out to a group, it's better to do it personally, then by internet. Anyone can go to a group's website and pull a few e-mails off and say "Hey, I think XYZ is SOOOOOOOOOOO coooooool. I really, really, really, really, really, really want to be a member. My name is Sally and I'm a Retail Therapy major with a 1.23 GPA, etc..." If I were a member of that group, I would probably be creeped out by that. It's much more personal and effective to walk up to a member and introduce yourself and ask a question about the group.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with AlphaFrog. Since you already know members of XYZ, it would be better to make contact through those sisters.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I take back the e-mail comment. Alpha Frog and Penguin Trax are right. Have you ever approached members of XYZ? They might of confused your shyness as a lack of interest.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

texassweetheart,

My advice to you is to tread cautiously, take time to seriously consider the options, and to be discreet. Since I don't know the organizations you are considering I can only speak to you from my greek experience and as a member of a multicultural sorority...

You shouldn't join a sorority because your friends are in it. You should join because you value what the particular organization stands for, the work they do on the campus and in the community, and how you feel about the members you know/are able to interact with. It sounds like both organizations you are interested in are promising organizations, which may be the source of some of your indecision.

I would say research, research, research...find out what you can (info that is supposed to be public knowlege) and attend events so you can get a better idea of what the sorority is doing, and have in person contact with the sisters where you maybe able to ask any questions that you have, or at the very least set up a time to speak with a sister and ask questions. And my recommendation is to avoid the pledging and de-pledging as much as possible.

I advised you to be discreet/cautious because ABC sorority may feel offended by your sudden interest in XYZ sorority, and some members of XYZ sorority may not be so welcoming given your history with ABC sorority. But ultimately, I am of the opinion that you should follow what is in your heart, no matter what others say.

As far as being disrespected, NOBODY should be disrespecting you or other pledges, and it is good that you seem have brought it up to other members of the sorority.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! Your advice has definately helped