GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,206
1 members and 1,205 guests
zlogantpz7495

Old 08-29-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Question about NPHC intake

Well, we're always saying that GC is a place to learn, and I don't know enough about the NPHC. Unfortunately, we don't have any NPHC orgs on my campus at this time. We had some women who were interested in AKA, but I'm not sure what happened to their efforts.

As a disclaimer, neither I or anyone I know is currently pursuing membership in an NPHC org. Nor do I want to know information that is privileged to members of NPHC orgs!!

From reading the websites of the four NPHC sororities, I have gathered this much: Those who meet the requirements of the particular sorority they are interested in attend a "rush" event. They also must fill out paperwork on their qualifications. Then, the sorority makes a decision as to membership. Next the pledges/new members (not sure of the appropriate terminology) are revealed to the campus/public as members of a new line. This is a surprise event--no one knows until then who the members of the line will be.

Is this the general process for NPHC intake? Did I leave anything out/make mistakes? I'm really curious to learn more about your orgs and become more well educated. I understand there is a lot I can't know, so if I'm out of bounds, let me know. I was curious about what happens when a line is revealed, what your rush events consist of, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2003, 02:27 PM

This is a great thread:

Could some BGLO ladies please explain how the NPHC sorority rush process happens?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
This is a great thread:

Could some BGLO ladies please explain how the NPHC sorority rush process happens?
Thanks!! This is a truly great thread that explained everything I was curious about.

Thanks also to the NPHC ladies who PM'ed me!
Old 08-29-2003, 04:25 PM

Ditto on the thanks for posting that thread link. It was very interesting to learn some new things about NPHC intake.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

oooh, thanks for that!!! honestly, there were no nphc glos on my campus, so i have never had any exposure to their practices. since joining gc, i have learned so much about npc orgs that weren't on my campus, but not as much about nphc orgs. i would love to learn more!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks! That was very informative.

So my understanding of the general procedure is (please correct me if I'm wrong, esp. with the terminology):

1. A woman decides she wants to join an NPHC sorority. (Or a man decides he wants to join an NPHC fraternity. I'll use the woman so I don't have to keep writing "he/she" )

2. She goes out and researches all 4 sororities. This includes meeting members and talking to them about their orgs, as well as using the internet (national and chapter web pages, resources like GC, etc). She reads up on their history, philanthropy, etc.

3. At the same time, she prepares herself by maintaining a good GPA (if in college) and by establishing a consistent record of community service.

4. After careful consideration, she chooses one and only one org to pursue. Let's call it XYZ.

5. She makes sure to learn everything she can about XYZ.

6. She identifies the appropriate chapter of XYZ and makes it known that she's interested. She participates in community service activities that they sponsor.

7. The XYZ chapter holds a rush/informational/whatever, and she attends. At this point there is no going back, it's XYZ or bust. She is expected to dress nicely, but it's a bad idea to show up dressed head-to-toe in pink and green, or red and white, etc.

8. She may or may not participate in an interview, depending on the chapter.

9. The chapter chooses new members by whatever (secret) process they have established.

10. The selected new members are contacted and are then officially on line.

11. At some point, everyone on the line crosses and they are then full members.

12. If this woman is not selected for membership, she can attend a subsequent XYZ rush. But it would be inappropriate for her to suddenly turn up at ABC's rush.

So - part of the NPC new member process is learning the history of your org, the founders' names etc. Am I right that an NPHC GLO new member would be expected to already know this information?

(whew, this got long )
Old 08-30-2003, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Along the lines of intake and whatnot, but in a different vein I guess, is their a policy for legacies of each org? Say for example there was an older sister of a large family who is an AKA, would her younger sister be considered a legacy like we do in NPC orgs? Are legacies encouraged to go to their legacy org? What if the younger sister wanted to go DST, would that be an issue?

Just curious as I know with NPC orgs as much as I say I want my sister to be thrilled no matter where she goes, I would much rather her be an AOII than join another org. (as long as she is happy with AOII of course. )
Old 08-30-2003, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
One thing I haven't seen answered, and if it cannot be, then fine, I completely understand.

If a woman attends an NPHC informational/rush and let's it be known that ABC is the ONLY sorority for her, and she is not invited to join, is she encouraged/allowed to attempt to seek membership again at a later date?

Side note:
Also, I don't know about other campuses, but I know at my campus, if a woman went to an NPC sorority's informal recruitment, and wasn't accepted, she probably wouldn't be looked upon with the best favor if she attended another recruitment event that that org held again...

I hated that nasty behavior. If Patty Pledge wants to be an ABC and attends all of ABC's events, and doesn't get a bid from ABC, yet shows up again at an ABC event, she was seen as, well, to put it bluntly, crazy...We personally were flattered and always felt this was proof she loved us and we should take a mutual interest in her!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Thanks! That was very informative.

So my understanding of the general procedure is (please correct me if I'm wrong, esp. with the terminology):

7. The XYZ chapter holds a rush/informational/whatever, and she attends. At this point there is no going back, it's XYZ or bust. She is expected to dress nicely, but it's a bad idea to show up dressed head-to-toe in pink and green, or red and white, etc.

8. She may or may not participate in an interview, depending on the chapter.

9. The chapter chooses new members by whatever (secret) process they have established.

10. The selected new members are contacted and are then officially on line.

11. At some point, everyone on the line crosses and they are then full members.

12. If this woman is not selected for membership, she can attend a subsequent XYZ rush. But it would be inappropriate for her to suddenly turn up at ABC's rush.

So - part of the NPC new member process is learning the history of your org, the founders' names etc. Am I right that an NPHC GLO new member would be expected to already know this information?

(whew, this got long )
From 7-12 is how some MCGLO's work too. . . .
Old 08-30-2003, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Takeshi Send a message via Yahoo to Takeshi
Are there any multicultural sororities that participate in Panhellenic recruitment rather than having an intake process.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi
Are there any multicultural sororities that participate in Panhellenic recruitment rather than having an intake process.
Not that I know of. . .I haven't seen anything but then again there are tons of MCGLO's now so I'm sure there are some I haven't seen yet
Old 09-04-2003, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up Can you tell that I've been on GC for a long, long, time? LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
Along the lines of intake and whatnot, but in a different vein I guess, is their a policy for legacies of each org? Say for example there was an older sister of a large family who is an AKA, would her younger sister be considered a legacy like we do in NPC orgs? Are legacies encouraged to go to their legacy org? What if the younger sister wanted to go DST, would that be an issue?
Does the concept of "legacy" exist in NPHC sororities?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

(whew, this got long )
Each organization has a process for educating new members on the organization.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally posted by WhirlwindTNX
From 7-12 is how some MCGLO's work too. . . .

That's how my organization works also. However, just because you get "online" doesn't mean that we HAVE to initiate you...
But we encourage that 1-6 is done also...