GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,202
3 members and 2,199 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Join LinkedIn.com and see if any teachers, preachers, etc are there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Just FYI - here are the Arkansas Panhellenic Recruitment Rules: http://uagreeks.uark.edu/documents/R...pril_2012).pdf

Great idea about Linkedin.com, Titchou!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And don't be discouraged if they don't answer their Facebook messages. Just yesterday I discovered a who 'nother message list that had messages 3 years old.
OMG I KNOW THE LIST YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND I HATE ITS GUTS!! It's basically a dumping ground for group messages, some of which I would have really wanted to know about if I'd gotten them in time. I hate that the majority of the groups don't work anymore.

And that brings me back to what the OP is asking - if all you truly have is FB info, don't send them a message. Post on their wall. Don't post your number, just that you are looking for recs. That being said, how old are your "old" teachers? I thought everyone over 40 was like me and kept their land line just because they can't imagine not having one.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont' think you can post on someone's wall unless they friend you. Is that right?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I dont' think you can post on someone's wall unless they friend you. Is that right?
It depends how their settings are set. Some people have their pages so that you can't message them, either, for that matter.

Which brings us to what we are all saying, get off the computer and get on the phone and use it as it was originally intended!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

You can receive messages unless you turn that option off.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM

That's what I mean - some people go on uber lockdown and set their pages so that they won't get messages from people they aren't friended with, won't get friend requests - there are many options. Lots of people want to make it so that they are the only ones doing the initial contacting.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpiazza View Post
Yes, I did go to Arkansas last year. I didn't rush because I wanted to wait a year and get adjusted to life on campus and make sure I could handle it financially.
Most of the sorority girls I know from church are current members. The ones that I have contacted have yet to reply (I do not have their phone numbers). I asked my parents to ask around, but they said they didn't know anyone.
Also, if anyone from Little Rock is on here, I have put my information in the Alumnae Association Masterfile online.

Please ask adults not girls in college.. Ask Sunday school teachers, ladies in the choir etc. you need college graduates. Have you asked your friends mothers if they were in a sorority or know of someone that was.. Do you have any extended family close by, an Aunt or cousin that might be able to ask around for you?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

What I meant by that was the graduated girls I have talked to have yet to reply. I am not allowed to talk to any current members about anything Greek related anyway because our school has very strict summer rules and I don't want to feel like I'm toeing the line. It would be very easy for me to get cut from rush on suspicion of "dirty rush"
When I say that I am the first person in my family to go Greek, I mean literally the first. No one in my family has gone Greek. No grandmothers, aunts, cousins or extended family members.
I have contacted a fraternity alum and he is asking some of his friends, but he just got back from his honeymoon so it has been a slow process.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What I meant by that was the graduated girls I have talked to have yet to reply. I am not allowed to talk to any current members about anything Greek related anyway because our school has very strict summer rules and I don't want to feel like I'm toeing the line. It would be very easy for me to get cut from rush on suspicion of "dirty rush"
When I say that I am the first person in my family to go Greek, I mean literally the first. No one in my family has gone Greek. No grandmothers, aunts, cousins or extended family members.
I have contacted a fraternity alum and he is asking some of his friends, but he just got back from his honeymoon so it has been a slow process.
But maybe one of your Grandmothers, Aunts or cousins know someone who is greek from their current friends and neighbors?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My grandmother did not go to college and my family that I have been able to contact hasn't been able to think of anyone. I have told them to keep thinking/looking though. The Greek girls that my cousins knew in college were more of acquaintances and they are no longer in contact with them.
My friends in town have been able to contact Greek girls but the communication is slow since everyone is taking vacations.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Make a list - a written list - of everyone you know who went to college. Male, female, peer, parent of friend, Pastor, daddy's boss, EVERYONE. Then start calling - on the phone. There are only 10 groups at UA. Even if you don't have a student directory or a church directory, I promise you know how to contact at least one teacher - either where they work during the summer, volunteer, etc. Call that person...they will know other people. You are relying on others to do your work for you. I hate to be snarky but you really aren't working this correctly. Don't ask other people to do your work for you. you live in an area with a HUGE employer and many other related businesses. I promise there are a ton of Greeks in town.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

If your parents have Facebook accounts, sit beside one of them and have them look up each sorority's national Facebook page. It will show if any of their friends liked that page. If they did, chances are they are a member. Make a note of the person and the sorority. Do the same through your Facebook page. If I was the one that was friends with them, I could then either call them or message them and say, "My daughter is participating in sorority recruitment at Auburn and I heard that you are in a sorority. Would you mind if I gave her your contact information? Since I was not in a sorority, she would really benefit from any advice you might be able to give her." EVERYONE said yes and then I let her take it from there. My daughter found 11 people to write recs that way.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Walk around the block. Knock on the doors of your neighbors( just like when you were selling school fundraiser items or girl scout cookies). These people know you or at least know your famiky lives on their block. Say the following, " hi, I am tpiazza. I live down the street in the white house. I am going through recruitment this fall. Are you, by any chance an alumni of any of the groups represented at the UA? I would love some advice, help, etc with the process. Do you have some time to visit?"

The neighbor is not in a sorority? Drat? Keep talking! Is her married daughter? Her sister? Her best friend who lives across town? This technique requires conversation- asking questions, chatting about college, etc. If you can have a good convo, chances are they will suddenly remember someone who can help. Follow up if they give the suggestion that they need to think on it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is a decent step but very passive aggressive. Call your frat friend back. Ask him for the names and numbers of the women he knows. He has had time to think. It is not that hard. Then YOU call and introduce yourself, explain you are Frat Boy's friend, and ask for help with recruitment. Offer to meet for ice crem so the women can get to know you, etc.

Now, after all of the help, advice you have gotten over two days, I really hope your next post is one where you tell us that you followed at least one of the very specific suggestions that have been given here. Not trying to be ugly, but we have literally given you a step by step process and I don't think you have followed any of it- in the way we told you to do so.