GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 2,389
3 members and 2,386 guests
archeltopz8346, naraht, zhannahivanovo8

Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The on-line recruitment FAQs state "Panhellenic has established..." twice, but who knows? The university has also established a minimum 2.5 GPA for new members during the "pledging" semester, with a mandated advisor meeting and academic improvement seminar for those below. Chapter are fined $50 for any new member who is below a 2.5 and does not follow through with these requirements. We have questioned/challenged this policy, but it still stands for now. The 2.6 minimum for recruitment may be related to the other policy.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
The on-line recruitment FAQs state "Panhellenic has established..." twice, but who knows? The university has also established a minimum 2.5 GPA for new members during the "pledging" semester, with a mandated advisor meeting and academic improvement seminar for those below. Chapter are fined $50 for any new member who is below a 2.5 and does not follow through with these requirements. We have questioned/challenged this policy, but it still stands for now. The 2.6 minimum for recruitment may be related to the other policy.
Can anyone who knows more about the MOI comment on this? Is it common for a university or the CPC to put rules in place that violate the MOI or is there more "flexibility" in the agreement than I naively think there is?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Can anyone who knows more about the MOI comment on this? Is it common for a university or the CPC to put rules in place that violate the MOI or is there more "flexibility" in the agreement than I naively think there is?
It's not common, but sometimes it happens. For example, Tufts guarantees a bid to any woman who signs up for recruitment, per the university's policy. The NPC groups don't like it, but go along with it.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

And there are schools that demand a shortened new member period (think... 3 weeks). They say that first semester freshmen can't join a sorority/fraternity.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In the "near" future, it's gonna be Pref Day, Bid Day, New Member ceremony, Initiation Day in the same week.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
In the "near" future, it's gonna be Pref Day, Bid Day, New Member ceremony, Initiation Day in the same week.
Some fraternities already do this, and it's worked out very well for some chapters. I would love to see more groups doing things along the lines of Sig Ep's Balanced Man program.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
I sincerely hope not.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I sincerely hope not.
Umm - while that would eliminate big/lil drama - wouldn't that mean that all the little chickadees that dont "feel the love" on the first day would have to quit bid day or right after initiation?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Umm - while that would eliminate big/lil drama - wouldn't that mean that all the little chickadees that dont "feel the love" on the first day would have to quit bid day or right after initiation?
can you imagine all the special snowflakes complaining that they can't join a different group because they were initiated on bid day? or the questions of "even though I was initiated, I just didn't understand what was going on, so can I join another sorority???"

it's bad enough when it is a 6 week new member program...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
can you imagine all the special snowflakes complaining that they can't join a different group because they were initiated on bid day? or the questions of "even though I was initiated, I just didn't understand what was going on, so can I join another sorority???"

It kinda seems like a failing of NPC rush that it works for the men but would never work for the women.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

AMEN!!!

These girls need to understand and appreciate the meaning of our sisterhood and what they are joining. That takes time.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It kinda seems like a failing of NPC rush that it works for the men but would never work for the women.
Fraternity rush vs. NPC is so incredibly different, that I don't know that it is fair to compare the two. Apples & pineapples...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Fraternity rush vs. NPC is so incredibly different, that I don't know that it is fair to compare the two. Apples & pineapples...
Right, right, I was just thinking about why it works for some of their groups. ZBT also goes straight to initiation, AFAIK.

I'm not really suggesting the elimination of pledge periods, but I would like to see less of an emphasis on "you're initiated now, the learning is over". Even among NPC orgs, some do a better job of others in making sure there is continuous development throughout your time as a member.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM

^^^^^Not to toot our horn, but this is why I love our Essential Sigma program. It's all about continuous member development (member ed sequence for every year, even seniors) as opposed to solely NM ed.

/hi-jack.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm not really suggesting the elimination of pledge periods, but I would like to see less of an emphasis on "you're initiated now, the learning is over". Even among NPC orgs, some do a better job of others in making sure there is continuous development throughout your time as a member.
ABSOLUTELY!