GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,145
2 members and 2,143 guests
glittergal1985, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-15-2000, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry I can not believe I'm hearing this!

I just wanted y'all to know that I am in my school library right now and as I am typing this there are two ignorant young "ladies" using the computers behind me that are engrossed in a rather loud conversation about Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. The things they are saying are rather unpleasant to the ear. One has just finished saying, "I know a lot of girls at Spelman and Clark Atlanta...and they say it's true. All of the AKAs down there are light skin with long hair and weaves. My friend told me that most of them really do walk around with mirrors."
The other replied "I was going to pledge AKA, but I don't know if I still want to."

Well, I just turned around to stare at them in utter amazement.
Who said it is best to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt??
I'm hoping they turn around and see what I'm typing!

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 15, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2000, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

This chick topped it for me yesterday. She told me that she was on her way to an interest meeting held by the campus chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc. She had on some booty-tight pants, and a leopard print tube top I wanted so bad to ask "Are you planning on wearing that?" Freshmen....I tell ya.
Old 09-16-2000, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

As a nongreek I must say that in a way I am able to relate to the two girls with the exception of the rule that there is a time and a place for everything.

My thing is I have heard the stereotype and seen the stereotype of the light skin, long hair ordeal and I was ignorant to the fact that yes I thought all AKA's wanted that appearance and that they all had the so called "stuck up" attitude. But as I got older, came to college, and learned about greeks. I found that information was strickly opinionated.

On my campus AKA's come in all complexions, shapes, and sizes. They represent the organization well. A couple of days ago we had a greek program and all the greeks performed and they did a scene where they were like "Why is that you are worried about what WE are doing" with a couple of other things I'm like this if you don't like something how come you can't keep it to yourself and just look for a membership that caters more to your liking. Just because all the other members act a certain way doesnt mean that you have to. Are they looking for a sorority that makes them or are they trying to make the sorority what they want it to be? And even though they not interested cause of those reasons doesn't mean that everyone else looks at it the same way. And one more thing that girl who had on those little clubbing, extra revealing, non-professional business attire. I think you should of told her it was a professional business attire function cause some times people just don't know things. Because I didn't know that you shouldn't wear certain colors to interest meetings until a member told me, I wasn't at one at the time, but they told me in advance therefore I knew to wear brown if I wanted to attend the meeting.
Old 09-16-2000, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Codeblue_R3, I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to bring across to us, but I wanted to say this. If I was told be a thousand people that a particular organization is/acts/looks a certain way...I would not take their word as a basis on which I judge this organization. I find it silly that people hear things and then, without any validation whatsoever, proceed to perpetuate what they've heard by having the type of conversations I was a witness to yesterday.
I could very well be wrong (and if I am, I'm sure one of the ladies in this forum will correct me )...but,I also don't think it's up to an interest to tell another interest what the appropriate way to dress is. If I knew nothing about sororities and never attended a Greek function in my life, I would know better not to wear booty tight pants with a leopard print tube top. Hell, I don't think I would wear that anywhere!

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old 09-16-2000, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I feel ya Mocha!

You might be surprised at the number of people who do not HAVE A CLUE...JUST PLAIN OLE CLUELESS!
Old 09-17-2000, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I had to update you all. First, I must agree with Mocha and state that as an interest, I don't feel that it is my place to tell someone what to wear. But, as a well informed sisterfriend, it IS my place to laugh at them when they wear the wrong thing.(Just kidding) But, I just wanted to tell you all that I went to a party sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc. last night and saw the same girl there, wearing the same pants and shirt!! I guess that is her lucky outfit or something.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
but,I also don't think it's up to an interest to tell another interest what the appropriate way to dress is.
[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 16, 2000).]
Way back in the stone ages when I was an undergrad and interested in pledging (that is what they did back then), the AKAs would refer to other girls as our 'interested sisters'. They expected the sisterly relations to start while you were interested, not wait until you were actually on line together. If one of your 'interested sisters' knew something, you were held accountable for the same information. Now I realize that that was a totally different place and time, and those things are not appropriate today, however I do think it is important for people to share lessons learned with others in a friendly, nonjudgemental kind of way. If they brush you off or look at you like you are crazy, then you know how to approach them the next time.
Old 09-18-2000, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't always the diva I am today. My freshman year in college, many moons ago, I decided to attend a sorority interest meeting. I was definitely the clueless freshman. I thought sororities just stepped, wore nalia and partied. I opened the door to the interest meeting wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Boy was I in for a shock. Everyone in the room was dressed to the nines. Noone made me feel like an idiot for dressing inappropriately and I really appreciated that. I later told my aunt about that experience, since she is a member of that sorority. She was mortified! Oh well, I just have to chalk that one up to experience.

However, I have a cousin that attends a HBCU and she said that all four organizations do an interest meeting at the same time. Her sorors wear business attire and the other three usually wear nalia and jeans. What is up with that?
Old 09-18-2000, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
You're kidding right???
You know, maybe this girl really doesn't know any better. Did anyone say something to her at the party?

Eclipse, you're point is well taken!

I am SO not kidding! Even if she did not know any better, it was the same week! I suppose that it was a pary atmosphere and they did not specify that it was a "cosmo. event" but still.

Eclipse, I see your point. If there is a "sisterfriend" that I know on a rather personal basis, I would probably point her in the right direction if need be. But, there are always those ones who can not take constructive criticism from anyone but a member. This particular girl, I did not even know her. That is just how much she knows about discretion. We were at another function and she says "I hope this ends on time I have to go to an AKA interest meeting." I just chalk it up to being an uninformed freshman.
Old 09-19-2000, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mizzkes:
But, I just wanted to tell you all that I went to a party sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc. last night and saw the same girl there, wearing the same pants and shirt!! I guess that is her lucky outfit or something.[/B]
You're kidding right???
You know, maybe this girl really doesn't know any better. Did anyone say something to her at the party?

Eclipse, you're point is well taken!

Old 09-19-2000, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

well i admitt i was ignorant of sorority protocol all together, so when i attended the rush i was under dressed compared to most of the ladies to say the least *i wanted to die*, and i wore slacks *no she didn't*, which at my chapter at least was a no no. but of course i wouldn't have showed up in jeans or anything, some folks did however anyway as sorors we know that some people do not know everything so we are compassionate, *some of us* it is easy enough to say hey that is not appropriate attire, so that they will know for the next time. cause some people really don't know, but it doesn't mean if they are humble and willing to learn that they can't be great members