GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,573
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, bryanjnior459
» Online Users: 2,484
3 members and 2,481 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034, zkaylgooglet196

Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Parole hearing...

So, the drunk driver who hit me head-on a few years ago just had a parole hearing.

Thing is, I wasn't notified. The DA told me they would have to give me a 30 day notice. But, I didn't get one.

So, the son of a bitch that left me with a disabled knee and constant back pain every day of my life may get out of jail after less than a year in the big house.

I am not sure why I was not notified. I haven't moved since he went in. I just didn't get a letter...

I just found out on the internet that I missed it by three days.

I am SO incredibly hurt and upset right now. It feels like he's done it all over again to me. I have never had the opportunity to tell him how much damage he has caused me. And, although the results of the hearing are pending, it look like he may get out. So, I may never have the chance to tell him how angry I am.

I DON'T understand why I was not notified.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Parole hearing...

Shouldn't you have received a REGISTERED letter concerning this? I would seriously fight this - hard! Write letters to every public official from the DA to the Warden to the Parole Board to your Senators & Congressmen! This is just SO not right!!!!

Good luck!!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:16 AM
cutiepatootie

I am with honeychile...I would fight this to the end.....they should have notified you so you can make an appearance there and let your feelings known. I don't know the system works but i think it could be conisdered a techincality that would throw it back into a parole hearing since you were the victim and was never notified.

I have no pity for drunk drivers........they can rott in jail and hell, pretty much the same, forever. I hope a nd pray you get this turned around and he not released on such a messed up techincality of you not being notfied.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I'm so sorry about all of this. I really think that the criminal justice system has failed you. I think that you should send a letter to every politician, the DA, and the parole board members as well as call them. This is unacceptable.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

If worst case scenario happens and drunky John gets out. Is there a possibilty that you could sue him in civil court for damages?

Drunk drivers are a menace. I'm with you cutiepatootie let them rot.

My brother's best friend from college died because his car was hit by a drunk driver.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrigley
If worst case scenario happens and drunky John gets out. Is there a possibilty that you could sue him in civil court for damages?
I had thousands of dollars in medical bills. So, we had to sue MY insurance company since not only did he not have a license, but he had no insurance.

It was his 3rd dui and 11th time of driving on a revoked license. The man has spent a LOT of time in jail. My husband was a deputy and knew him the guy's being in jail all of the time.

He has no money. His common law wife, as he calls her, has no money. He even told my lawyers to go ahead and sue. I would never see a dime from a judgment against him because they live off of public assistance.

I got enough money from my insurance to pay off my outstanding medical bills. But, I have no money left for the new bills for the injuries.

It turns out that the paperwork never reached the Parole department. They had no record of my paperwork, so I was not to be notified. I called and raised holy hell today to the DA's office that "apparantly" lost the paperwork. They pulled some strings and arranged it so that I can e-mail a letter and it will be delivered to all of the members of the parole board before they make their decision.

At least he won't get released without any opposition...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:10 AM
cutiepatootie

Are you serious....no lic( revoked), no insurance, 3d DUI, and spent time in jail already....dang if they do parole him that is such a slap in the face to every victim out there. He has not even rehabilitated enough to be remorseful for this if he keeps going out and drinking and driving illegally. I hope your email to the parole members will do something and make them think twice about releasing him.

My fiance , long before my first husband, was killed by a drunk driver. the witnesses who stopped him before he fled said he wrecked of alcohol.....SO i have no pity for drunk drivers.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and pray that the parole board rejects his chance at parole.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:20 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I would follow up the email with an actual letter sent via snail mail (possibly certified mail or return receipt) to the DA's office so that they have something on paper (your letter) and you have something on paper (the return receipt). Also, make sure that if his parole is denied, you are notified well in advance of any future parole hearings.

How long has this guy been in prison? What was the original sentence and how much of it has he served?

Take care
Old 08-20-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

AEPhi,

He has served 11 months of a four-year sentence for vehicular assault, reckless endangerment, and repeat motor vehicle offender violations.

THANKS to everyone for your thoughts and prayers right now. I hope that this man is not released. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick

He has no money. His common law wife, as he calls her, has no money. He even told my lawyers to go ahead and sue. I would never see a dime from a judgment against him because they live off of public assistance.
Don't you wish there was some way to make folks like this inelligible for public assistance? It burns me all to hell that people elect that sort of lifestyle and will flat out tell you that they live off of public assistance.

What a piece of shit. I hope he drives off a bridge the next time he gets behind the wheel.

They need to bring back Hammarabi's Code for guys like this -- you drive without a license, it's your 11th conviction? We cut off your hands. Now we won't have any problems with you driving without a license again.

Ideas like that were what made the Middle East the greatest civilization in the world 400 years ago.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-20-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
He has served 11 months of a four-year sentence for vehicular assault, reckless endangerment, and repeat motor vehicle offender violations.
That's all??? I know very little about the criminal justice system, but that seems awful early to be up for parole... especially for a repeat offender. If he is released, that is a slap in the face to you and every DUI victim, not to mention that he will have the opportunity to get right back in his car (license or no) and maybe injure or kill somebody else.

Hope the parole board takes your email into consideration and denies his parole.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Don't you wish there was some way to make folks like this inelligible for public assistance? It burns me all to hell that people elect that sort of lifestyle and will flat out tell you that they live off of public assistance.
Gotta agree with ya on that... it's one thing to need public assistance... but when people game the system to keep a handout, there's only one place they deserve to go... charge 'em with fraud, convict 'em and throw 'em in a work camp to pay off their largesse. And I mean some hard, back-breaking labor 'til he drops dead from exhaustion!

Quote:
What a piece of shit. I hope he drives off a bridge the next time he gets behind the wheel.
What sucks worse is that the sonofabitch will be so lubricated with alcohol, he'll come out of the wreckage with only bumps and bruises. He needs to be shot while resisting arrest and attempting escape. Jail's just 'three hots and a cot' on the taxpayer's expense.

Quote:
They need to bring back Hammarabi's Code for guys like this -- you drive without a license, it's your 11th conviction? We cut off your hands. Now we won't have any problems with you driving without a license again... Ideas like that were what made the Middle East the greatest civilization in the world 400 years ago.
DUI, 11 times driving without a license? Bullet in the back of the head... no sense in further polluting the human gene pool! Didn't he f*ckin' learn when he first got his license that DRIVING IS NOT A RIGHT, BUT A PRIVILEGE?!?!?!?!?

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Even though he has no money now, you never know what the future has in store for him. If I were you, I would sue him and get a judgment against him. You might not ever see a dime, but if he comes into some money through an inheritance, lotto, a lawsuit, or a job, etc. you will get some of it. Plus sometimes employment is a requirement of parole.

I really hope that they don't let this guy out of jail. I think that he hasn't been adequately punished.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM

This guy is the epitome of a convicted criminal that has not served his judgement. It's like the State is waiting for him to kill someone so that they can throw him behind bars for longer.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:10 PM
cutiepatootie

To bad he wasn't under california law with the 3d strike law and all.

Can you believe that they let ppl like him out on the street after some time served.

I know that they have to have to meet for parole hearing but for them to even think about even releasing him is insane