GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,691
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, PerformanceV
» Online Users: 825
2 members and 823 guests
g41965, Xidelt

Old 10-10-2000, 05:32 PM
dpeluso

Lightbulb Alcohol-free Resolution

I am a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority at Rutgers University and recently (the beginning of the Fall 2000 semester)was informed of the Alcohol-free resolution and was under the impression that is was decided by national Panhellenic. I was womdering if other sororities are following this, had info about this or any comments.

Diana
Sigma Kappa
Zeta Phi
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-10-2000, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey I am a new pledge to Sigma Kappa! Would you mind chatting sometime? =) I had questions about the alcohol policy as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpeluso:
I am a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority at Rutgers University and recently (the beginning of the Fall 2000 semester)was informed of the Alcohol-free resolution and was under the impression that is was decided by national Panhellenic. I was womdering if other sororities are following this, had info about this or any comments.

Diana
Sigma Kappa
Zeta Phi
Old 10-10-2000, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority has a zero tolerance alcohol policy. We are not allowed to drink at anything sponsored or co-sponsored by our sorority. There is also the rule that 2 of us in the same place is considered a sorority function. Our nationals have come down really hard on this policy and it only takes one offense to lose our charter. This did not go over well with some of our sisters. I'm at a mid-sized state school that has a real rep. for being a party school. I'm 22, though, so I can go uptown and this is not a problem for me.

------------------
I am who I am.
Those who matter don't mind,
Those who mind don't matter.
Old 10-11-2000, 02:03 AM
April

Hey Sigma Kappas!!!!!!!

It's so nice to see other SigKas on the board. I'm from the University of Arizona.

Kimmi73-where are you pledging?
How are the SigKaps at Rutgers?

LIS
Old 10-11-2000, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzie:
There is also the rule that 2 of us in the same place is considered a sorority function.
I'm sorry, but that is just retarded. What you're saying is that if two 21 year old SK's decide to go out one night, even to just have one drink, or if just one of them has one drink, it is a sorority function and your chapter can get in trouble???? That is rediculous!!! That is not going to solve any problems, and I would say is borderline unconstitutional.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 10-12-2000, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I would check out your rules again, because the last I had looked at the new rule Sigma Kappa Nationals were following the least strict of the three different policies. So, I don't know but It might be worth checking out.

Much Love,

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Old 10-12-2000, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not a Sigma Kappa, I was simply stating what my sorority's rules were. There is also a difference between 21 year olds and underagers. A 21 year old can go to a bar or a third party vendor making them no longer responsible for any consequences of drinking. Also a party of all 21 yr olds and older would never be able to be busted by the cops, therefore that would be fine also. They basically want to make sure that only the people of legal drinking age are drinking. My sorority is also the first to have nationals make this rule, the other sororities are encouraged to do this by their nationals, but to my knowledge it is not enforced as strictly by their nationals.

------------------
I am who I am.
Those who matter don't mind,
Those who mind don't matter.
Old 10-13-2000, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

i believe pi phi and kappa also have the strictest policy as well, though i really believe it varies from school to school as to how this new resolution is being enforced....although, correct me if i am wrong on this
Old 10-16-2000, 04:08 AM
HipChic

In my opinion, this whole dry thing is not working out at all. At my school, all Panhel sororities must go to a third party vender to have a mixer with a fraternity now. The only thing bad about this is that it is less controlled because girls can now go back to the frat houses after the party closes at the bar. This means that she probably was drinking and now no one is responsible for her. Before we made all the girls leave the house and they were not allowed to return for another 24 hours. This is dangerous. Another thing, the underagers do not want to even bother going any more because they can only watch the old girls drink...what fun is that?
Old 10-16-2000, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Quote:
Originally posted by HipChic:
Another thing, the underagers do not want to even bother going any more because they can only watch the old girls drink...what fun is that?
Um, they shouldn't be drinking anyway and if they are not smart enough to have fun without drinking, then, maybe they should think about why they are there in the first place?

Old 10-16-2000, 09:54 AM
fox

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl:
Um, they shouldn't be drinking anyway and if they are not smart enough to have fun without drinking, then, maybe they should think about why they are there in the first place?

Come on, how much fun is it to watch other people get buzzed and festive while you sit there with a Coke? It would be better to have it alcohol free for everyone.

Get off your soapbox, please. The drinking age laws are stupid and discriminatory for the whole US, not just Greeks.

The situation HipChic described - with the girls going back to the house - is indeed very dangerous, and probably none of the nationals instituting this policy ever thought far enough past their noses to see that something like this might happen. All they care about is it not harming their liability.

Old 10-17-2000, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, i am totally confused now. would it be ok for a sorority girl who is underage to drink (without her letters on, of course) at a party that isn't a frat or soror party? how about if it was a frat party? i am just wondering about this because i don't see a problem with drinking if you are responsible about it. maybe these rules need to be changed because all of this is getting ridiculous. could it be any more of a double standard since the fraternities are allowed to drink and the sororities aren't? NEWSFLASH: we are NOT in the 1800's anymore!!!!!!