GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,608
2 members and 1,606 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-12-2022, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Bid Day Question

The chapter I advise just told me yesterday the University Greek Advisor has stated that she is not going to allow Bid Day to happen during Spring Informal Recruitment. That she was very disappointed that all chapters had a Bid Day this past semester. Formal Recruitment is done in the Fall and that Bid should only happen in the Fall. She is saying that the is no need and that it should not be allowed to have. Has anyone ever heard of another university or college not allowing Bid Day for Informal Recruitment?

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2022, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

What exactly does her directive mean? Do all the sororities ordinarily gather in one place and their new members run to their new chapters, and she will not allow that? Is she trying to ban spring recruitment? Is she trying to ban celebrations within the sororities?
Old 05-12-2022, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Will this Greek Advisor allow Spring 2023 New Members to be initiated, or must their initiations wait until Fall 2023?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly don't know what her directive is or trying to get to. In the fall all chapters gather and NM run home. In the spring it is very informal and the chapters don't gather. They just celebrate welcoming the NM home. It's a smaller scale Bid Day than Fall Bid Day. I think of it as a sisterhood event.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
If Panhellenic doesn't coordinate bid day for the spring, how will they control what chapters individually do? That's ludicrous. Have your bid day.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
If Panhellenic doesn't coordinate bid day for the spring, how will they control what chapters individually do? That's ludicrous. Have your bid day.
This.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Frankly,, none of the chapters I've ever worked with had Bid Days for informal that were campus wide because each had their own recruitment format and so there was no way to do one for all at one time.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Frankly,, none of the chapters I've ever worked with had Bid Days for informal that were campus wide because each had their own recruitment format and so there was no way to do one for all at one time.
^Also this.^

Each chapter held their own low key celebration at their houses.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
I honestly don't know what her directive is or trying to get to. In the fall all chapters gather and NM run home. In the spring it is very informal and the chapters don't gather. They just celebrate welcoming the NM home. It's a smaller scale Bid Day than Fall Bid Day. I think of it as a sisterhood event.
How did she arrive at her decision? Whom did she consult? Are other chapter advisors concerned about this directive?

The best thing to do is talk to her, whether you do so as an individual advisor or having joined together with other campus chapter advisors.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
How did she arrive at her decision? Whom did she consult? Are other chapter advisors concerned about this directive?

The best thing to do is talk to her, whether you do so as an individual advisor or having joined together with other campus chapter advisors.
I definitely need to contact the other advisors. I'm not really sure how she came up with this decision. Many thing she does make no sense.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

She's overstepping. I agree, have your individual bid day/welcome home celebrations as each chapter sees fit. As long as there aren't boys, booze, etc. involved, I don't see how or why she feels these can't happen in the winter. Informally recruited new members deserve a warm welcoming event. She doesn't need to be involved at all.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I was an "open rush" pledge and there was no "bid day" in the spring or fall for open rush pledges. You got your bid individually, not all at once.
But at a chapter I worked with, fall formal recruitment had not been a huge success and lots of chapters needed to pledge that spring. So they had a sort of formal/informal, complete with rounds and a bid day, but much much lower key. I thought it was lovely. I always regretted not having that exciting day.
Why not? Who's it going to hurt?