GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,297
0 members and 1,297 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What about black & white? One of my friends is a photographer who works primarily in black & white - and her pictures are gorgeous and make everyone in them look gorgeous. If you have pictures from an "arty" setting like this, are they acceptable? Or should you skip them and put a plain old color photo by Mom in your packet instead?
Fine line. As ree-xi said, this is a way to recognize a girl when she walks through the door. So if a black-and-white photo is too high contrast, at a strange angle, only showing part of the face, etc, it doesn't translate to easily recognizable.

On the other hand, when you're watching a slideshow of a couple hundred headshots, or brushing your teeth to see posters of pnms staring back at you, a black-and-white shot really stands out amid a sea of color portraits.

I say if it looks exactly like you and shows your full face, go for it. If your rec writer went to your school, it never hurts to ask their opinion on which photo to use.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I just sent in a picture taken of me casually, it's actually a pretty small photo, just of my head, and isn't a professional/high-quality photo...is this bad? It looks like me and everything, I didn't know it should've been something more professional.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg327 View Post
I just sent in a picture taken of me casually, it's actually a pretty small photo, just of my head, and isn't a professional/high-quality photo...is this bad? It looks like me and everything, I didn't know it should've been something more professional.
I can't imagine it would matter much either way as long as it's a good enough quality photo that someone who has never met you could recognize you.

Re: black and white...if you're still easily recognizable, why not? Actually, it might be a way to purposefully stand out.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally wouldn't use Black and White. It looks dated and it's harder to recognize people because a lot of the details are muted. What are the first things people mention when describing someone? Usually hair color is at the top of the list, along with skin tones (even distinct ones such as "porcelain" or "olive") - things that are hard to tell in B&W photos.

If the purpose of the photos is to recognize a girl right away, a B&W isn't your best bet (again, something that actors deal with).

Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I personally wouldn't use Black and White. It looks dated and it's harder to recognize people because a lot of the details are muted. What are the first things people mention when describing someone? Usually hair color is at the top of the list, along with skin tones (even distinct ones such as "porcelain" or "olive") - things that are hard to tell in B&W photos.

If the purpose of the photos is to recognize a girl right away, a B&W isn't your best bet (again, something that actors deal with).
If it's an artsy photo it probably won't look dated, but the point about hair/eye/skin color is a good one.

Though if it's either very, very blonde or very, very dark brown/black that would still be evident in the black and white photo.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Ucacheer2213
I remember i did not put my GPA ( I though they meant college GPA which i did not have yet ) I did not get a bid. Lucky i was able to COB two weeks later,and got in to the sorority I wanted.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I sent in a black and white pic... I hope it'll be OK! I didn't have much choice because I look really young/babyish in my other nice senior pics. My aunt told me I looked 10 in my other pics :-( I think this is still recognizeably me though.

Last edited by greekxgal; 09-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

You still look so young! But that's probably because I'm soooo old. But the picture is fine. It shows your face, and you should be recognizable from a distance. That's all that matters: Clear and flattering.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Freshmen look REALLY young to me now.

I'm like, y'all are 12. Go back to Jr. High.

(And I don't say y'all much.)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Good picture...the point is to be recognizable and I imagine this picture fulfills that requirement.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the facebook stuff - PNMs should also be very aware of who their friends are and what they have on their pages. There's such a thing as guilty by association, and I believe even if your profile is on the strictest privacy setting, someone who is not your friend can see who your friends are.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
You still look so young! But that's probably because I'm soooo old.
No, it's not that!

I mean - look at a HS yearbook from the 1950s. Those girls are all 17-18, and they look old to us, even though we're older now than they were then. I don't know what this phenomenon is called, but it needs a name.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha don't worry, I'm used to being told that I look young. I'm only 18 (I'll be 19 when I start school though) but I get mistaken for 14/15 a lot. I'm pretty sure people who don't know me would think i was going to be a freshman in high school than college lol! But I think size has to do with it, too. I'm kind of on the petite side.
Anyway, thanks for the input!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekxgal View Post
Haha don't worry, I'm used to being told that I look young. I'm only 18 (I'll be 19 when I start school though) but I get mistaken for 14/15 a lot. I'm pretty sure people who don't know me would think i was going to be a freshman in high school than college lol! But I think size has to do with it, too. I'm kind of on the petite side.
Anyway, thanks for the input!
It's okay, the other day the lady at the spa we went thought I was 16 (I'm 20) and my 13 year old cousin was 18...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, it's not that!

I mean - look at a HS yearbook from the 1950s. Those girls are all 17-18, and they look old to us, even though we're older now than they were then. I don't know what this phenomenon is called, but it needs a name.
Could it be the older fashions and facial expressions?

The high schoolers and collegiates of generations ago had an older look and, what many today consider to be, old folks hairstyles and clothes. I even look at pre-1960s GLO pictures and think "were most of these nontraditional students?" I think that's because of the styles and facial expressions (posing for a pre-1960s camera could take forever) in many of the photos.