GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 1,889
1 members and 1,888 guests
FrankJScott

Old 07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment week clothing help?

I will be going through recruitment at a somewhat competitive school this August. There are three shorts and t-shirt days and two dressier ones (sisterhood day where you wear a nice sundress and then pref). I would really like some opinions on my clothing options from sorority women who have already been through rush!

Open House days: On these two days you just wear shorts and an official PHA t-shirt. For shorts, I'm planning on wearing J. Crew chinos (3" inseam). For shoes I am going to wear my Sperrys or maybe a pair of nice sandals.

the shorts-http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category...1456/61456.jsp

Sisterhood day: On this day you wear a dressy sundress. I have a cute pinstripe shirt dress from Forever 21 that I thought could work, unfortunately I can't find a picture of it! If you need to imagine it, it has pink pinstripes and buttons up from the bottom. It also has a waist tie/belt thing which matches the pinstripes. Besides that, I have a Lilly Pulitzer dress that could work also:

For shoes I was planning on wearing my Jack Rogers Navajos. They are kind of a metallic pewter color.

Philanthropy day: This is another casual shorts/PHA t-shirt day. I was planning on again wearing a pair of J. Crew shorts and sandals.

Pref: I have quite a few options for this night! Keep in mind we don't have to wear a specific color. My first choice is this J. Crew dress, I know its strapless but I have a small chest so nothing would be spilling out!

Here are a couple others I like:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/68679.jsp
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...-mystery-dress
http://www.lillypulitzer.com/product...vy+Double+Knot

All right thats it! If anyone has suggestions on hair/makeup/jewelry I'd love to hear them!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

For pref, I'd wear the black one not the J Crew...strapless and too casual. and I think you're going to be hot and sweaty in the shirtdress. Maybe the one shoulder Lilly P style would be better?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the black one better for pref.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both! I was originally going to wear the black one, but the back is see through and has a hole in it... I wasn't sure if that would be modest enough for pref. Also, you could see my vertebrae from certain angles, and I didn't think that would be a good look! I actually just tried it on again and it looks much better (I've gained a couple pounds!). Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen16 View Post
Thank you both! I was originally going to wear the black one, but the back is see through and has a hole in it... I wasn't sure if that would be modest enough for pref. Also, you could see my vertebrae from certain angles, and I didn't think that would be a good look! I actually just tried it on again and it looks much better (I've gained a couple pounds!). Thanks again!
maybe pair it with a little sweater if you are worried about the back? (the short bolero type)

And for the sundress I liked the one shoulder Lily... Looks like it would be cool in the heat as well. But the lace is pretty too!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Could I add one thing, for all PNMs? Whatever you wear, make sure that you're wearing it with confidence! If you act like you're wearing a "Recruitment Week Costume", it will show that you're not used to wearing Lily or whatever. Get your outfits together, and be sure to wear them a few times (albeit carefully!) so that you won't look uncomfortable!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

I vote for the black lace dress for pref. and the one shoulder Lilly for sisterhood round.

Honeychile, great advice!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

That first dress is really cute. It's the first Lilly dress that hasn't made me want to claw out my eyes It reminds me of Monet. Not garish in the least.

ETA: the lace black for pref. No bolero, that would ruin the effect of the dress. If you don't like how your back looks, pick another dress, but a lot of girls have vertebrae showing. See honeychile's comments.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
I like the black one better for pref.
Me, too. It's dressier and a little fashion forward. I'd wear the black one with the lace for pref, and the one shoulder Lilly for the sundress day.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the black lace one. We have seen a lot of lace on campus this spring and I am pretty sure there will be lots during recruitment as well. The one shouldered Lilly is cute as long as it is fabric not knit (too casual). We own the J Crew strapless dress. It is very cute on. My daughter uses lingerie double sided tape on the top in just a couple of places to make sure it doesn't gap (small chest ). If its hot and you are sweaty the tape doesn't work as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphapimommy View Post
I like the black lace one. We have seen a lot of lace on campus this spring and I am pretty sure there will be lots during recruitment as well. The one shouldered Lilly is cute as long as it is fabric not knit (too casual). We own the J Crew strapless dress. It is very cute on. My daughter uses lingerie double sided tape on the top in just a couple of places to make sure it doesn't gap (small chest ). If its hot and you are sweaty the tape doesn't work as well.

You anticipated my question! Good to know.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Is black acceptable for PNMs to wear for Pref? Or am I confusing it with White? (Think I just answered my own question but I'll leave it here just in case.)