GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,633
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, ajaksonttsoz851
» Online Users: 2,286
3 members and 2,283 guests
Titchou, Xidelt

Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Sooners- Tell me about it!

So GC, I have been offered a (very good, very stable) position in Oklahoma. I'm super happy about it, and I'm ready to get on with my career. So, tell me what I need to know about living there. If anyone went to OU, where's a good place to live in Norman? Is there anywhere I SHOULD NOT live? It's kind of hard to be house/apartment shopping in PA, but I've got a few weeks before I have to start shuttling things out there.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm from Tulsa, and never went to OU, but if you're really having issues I can try to get on the line.

But, really, forget OKC and move to Tulsa. Far superior.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
^ Hah, is Tulsa/OKC kind of like Pittsburgh/Philly?

I'm trying to stay in the Norman area, just because my position is at OU. I'm looking at a marathon in Tulsa in November as a nice diversion, though!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's actually a big rivalry, I'm just not a huge fan of OKC, and I think Tulsa is a great place, although it's definitely not as big.

My OU friends were all pretty glad to be out of Norman, apparently it's pretty dead once you get tired of the fraternity and/or student bar scene. Although they were all living in the student ghettos so I really don't know much about it in general.

I get this feeling that a lot of people live in one of the suburbs that's NOT Norman (such as Edmond) and commute.

Someone who lives in OKC or went to OU would really be better as I'm just not in the area much.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to spend all my summers in Norman as a kid (my grandma lives there) and even then it was slow as all get out lol. But it was still a nice place to me. The summers and winters were brutal though. I dont out and out recall any "bad" places to live. But then again, i was visiting my grandma...and a child at that so i don't know.

Sidenote: my lil cousin recently got recruited by OU's football team...so now my whole fam is constantly playing in Norman and wearing that Sooners gear
Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Nothing good ever came out of Norman, Oklahoma. Ever.

Hook 'em Horns!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Nothing good ever came out of Norman, Oklahoma. Ever.

Too funny! As an Okie State grad, I second this, but for different reasons.

Norman is close to OKC, so you could work at OU and live in Midwest City or OKC easily in addition to Norman. When I was in HS in OKC, they were all definitely different towns, but now they all kind of run together. I recommend getting an apartment in Norman near the campus for the first year. That gives you an easy commute and time to look around at all the neighborhoods and options. You may love a college town atmosphere, or it could be ugh. Be prepared for some football madness.